Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #301
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Great pic Lornce--you stud you. How old were you there, if you don't mind me asking? I was 14 or 15...

Reminds me of a print Yamaha advertisement of the time.

Nice, shiny new bike. What fairing is that?
Old 11-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #302
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Cool picture! Mine's a 1980.
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #303
SR400
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Welcome new guy and thanks for the address. I just might write them too.
Thank you for the welcome Super Sneak!

If anyone is even remotely interested they should send a letter IMHO. More choices never hurts!

I think buying a used one is a valid choice, but I love all the details that come on the newer model.
-Fuel injection
-Spoked wheels
-Fork gators

I know most of these things are easily added to an old model, but I would love to get a stock bike that is already exactly what I want
SR400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #304
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Great pic Lornce--you stud you. How old were you there, if you don't mind me asking? I was 14 or 15...

Reminds me of a print Yamaha advertisement of the time.

Nice, shiny new bike. What fairing is that?
I was 17 in this one: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...e=3&permPage=1 And 18 in the BC pic.

The fairing was a generic fibreglass item, made locally for all I remember. A buddy helped me make the aluminum brackets that relocated the headlight up and forward in order to fit the fairing. I'd fitted a pair of clubman racing bars, a big K&N filter and painted the engine flat black. A real "cafe racer". Didn't take long to replace the clubmans with a pair of flat bars which worked much better for actual riding.

I loved that SR500. Fun to ride, great fuel economy (went two teeth up on the countershaft sprocket to give it longer legs on the highway) I don't recall ever really using the brakes. With Girling shocks and Dunlop TT-100's it'd just rail into any corner at whatever speed you were going. You could lean it like crazy with no ill effects.

The failed ignition rotor was a real show-stopper at the time, though. $600 for a new one and I was making $5/hr 2500 miles from home. I gambled and spent my tax return on a used '78 XS650 instead. All I'd ever heard was how indestructable they were. That 650 swallowed it's main bearings three weeks later.

It was summer 1980 and I had $3k tied up in two non-running '78 Yamahas.

In the fall I walked into Walt Healey Yamaha in Calgary and spied a nice, shiny used '78 XS750 with a $2300 or $2400 price tag on it (can't remember exactly)? Explained my situation to a helpful sales dude and he went and talked to the service manager for 5 or 10 minutes. When he returned he told me he'd take my pair of non-running bikes plus $200 in trade for the 750.

I knew they'd make out okay on my bikes once they were running. But it wasn't a bad deal for me either, given my predicament.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #305
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,687

My '79 from years back, paid $500 and when it had issues I let it go thinking I'd just buy another $500 SR500 later:

I'd love a new one but I don't think you could pry my DR650 out of my cold dead hands.
Nessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #306
Ed-B
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman View Post

I'd love a new one but I don't think you could pry my DR650 out of my cold dead hands.
Agreed, it's mostly a style issue for me, though. ...I wish my DR650 looked like your old SR500. It's such a simple and classic machine. But I really enjoy my DR650 motor with the Gixxer can/jetting/airbox mods.
Ed-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #307
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Lornce- the three best Yamahas from the period . Lucky man. I always wanted an XS 750 and couldn't afford it so your story makes me green. I never thought there could be a replacement for my modern Bonneville but a new SR would look nice alongside it.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #308
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
Lornce- the three best Yamahas from the period . Lucky man. I always wanted an XS 750 and couldn't afford it so your story makes me green. I never thought there could be a replacement for my modern Bonneville but a new SR would look nice alongside it.
Wanna bet?

That XS750 left me stranded the very first day I rode it. Heading back to Calgary from Banff on hwy 1A it died on the climb east out of Cochrane. Stone dead. No lights, no spark, no nothing.

I rolled back down the hill and left it at a service station and hitched back home to Calgary. Picked it up next day with a buddy's truck and returned it to Walt Healey Yamaha. Seems the rectifier had gone kaput and the battery drained as I rode along.

Walt Healey Yamaha was very decent about it, they covered the labour and only charged me 50% of list for the replacement part. As an 18 year old in a strange city, I really appreciated how well those folks treated me. My hat's off to Walt Healey Yamaha and their staff.

Six weeks and 16k kms later in Ontario I traded that Yamaha straight for a '72 Moto-Guzzi 850 Eldorado and a sweet '70 Triumph 650 Tiger. That Guzzi had a distributor cap with points in it and a belt driven generator all hanging out where you could see it and fix what needed fixing. No works in a drawer transitorised electronic bedevilment to confound a dumb kid.

I embraced the Luddite approach to travel and never looked back.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #309
Iranian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Guys, I am throughly very happy that yamaha has deceided to bring the sr400 to europe but there is two downsides with the bike, or at least as I see it.

I have driven both the sr 400&500 and I have also owned yamaha sr 250 special. Even though is bike was never designed for speed it is bad that it has lost 7 hp for some reason and the catalytic converter will make it loose additionaly 10%. I normally love bikes with kickstarter but since 2011 I am suffering from hipp problems despite the fact that I am not more then 34 years old. Why in earth did they not also mounth a electric starter to it?

I think they have shot their self in the foot by not doing so. Do you guys agree?

Do you think they are going to be that smart that they will update the bike in the future? Would it be technically easy thing to do?

As far as I can recall the 400 was easier then the 500 to start, basically due to shorter stroke. Do you the modern sr 400 will be easier o start?
Iranian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #310
Iranian
Studly Adventurer

I think yamaha has only the intention of running this model until 2017 since after that they have equipp it with ABS according to european laws.

That is a strange move from yamaha.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #311
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranian View Post
I have driven both the sr 400&500 and I have also owned yamaha sr 250 special. Even though is bike was never designed for speed it is bad that it has lost 7 hp for some reason and the catalytic converter will make it loose additionaly 10%. I normally love bikes with kickstarter but since 2011 I am suffering from hipp problems despite the fact that I am not more then 34 years old. Why in earth did they not also mounth a electric starter to it?
First of all, the kickstart is the main reason that I'm attracted to the bike. Adding an E button would just add weight. If my bike had it, I'd rip it off. If you're an old fart then maybe this isn't the bike for you.

The cat can also be removed easily and with a new map it should be better than it ever was.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #312
Iranian
Studly Adventurer

Did you read my message before you wrote yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
First of all, the kickstart is the main reason that I'm attracted to the bike. Adding an E button would just add weight. If my bike had it, I'd rip it off. If you're an old fart then maybe this isn't the bike for you.

The cat can also be removed easily and with a new map it should be better than it ever was.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #313
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Is there any real indication that Yamaha might bring this bike to the U.S.? I plan to buy something in the next 3-4 months, and would love to have the SR400, kickstarter and all. I see no chance of it coming here without an electric starter, as that is what did in the SR500 way back in the '70s, and most riders today are wimpier than they were back then. I have fairly serious knee problems, but have no problem kickstarting my XT225, and have only used the electric starter a couple of times after installing the kickstarter several months ago. One or two kicks usually do it. I would remove the electric starter, but it would leave a big hole in the case. I did remove the electric starter from my Genuine Stella, it is now kick only. If you can't kickstart even a small displacement bike, are you really in good enough condition to ride?
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #314
Iranian
Studly Adventurer

I thumper can be pain in the ass to start, but sr 400 is quite easy in compare with sr 500.

I am good condition but somewhat week in my hipp and I would not like to put my recovery at risk. I used to love kickstarter but now I prefer electric starter. Perhaps due to the fuelinjection it is easy to start it in compare with the old sr 400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Is there any real indication that Yamaha might bring this bike to the U.S.? I plan to buy something in the next 3-4 months, and would love to have the SR400, kickstarter and all. I see no chance of it coming here without an electric starter, as that is what did in the SR500 way back in the '70s, and most riders today are wimpier than they were back then. I have fairly serious knee problems, but have no problem kickstarting my XT225, and have only used the electric starter a couple of times after installing the kickstarter several months ago. One or two kicks usually do it. I would remove the electric starter, but it would leave a big hole in the case. I did remove the electric starter from my Genuine Stella, it is now kick only. If you can't kickstart even a small displacement bike, are you really in good enough condition to ride?
Old 11-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #315
LPRoad
Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 290
I wonder if a campaign of letters would actually create any movement other than the movement of the mail clerk towards the waste bin. I may write one anyway, all I would be out is a stamp and some time. The SR400 would nicely fit my needs.
LPRoad is offline   Reply With Quote