Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #31
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,997
Please bring this and DO NOT change a damn thing!! There are plenty of water cooled EFI bikes around. We don't need more of those. We need some more bikes that appeal to the people that dig the old world feel of bikes like this. C'mon Yamaha!!
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #32
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,144
Had an SR500, liked everything about it except the lack of electric start. Always had trouble starting that bike. Much more trouble than my classic Triumph.

Add the magic button, and keep the kick start. I enjoy kick starting my Kaw W650, which is never a problem.

The SR400 would be stillborn in the US without electric start.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #33
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmarquez View Post
, I went to the Seattle motorcycle show this past weekend......I saw exactly 1 new motorcycle that really caught my eye...the new CB1100
I know what you mean. There are at least a dozen or so subtle variations on most themes which makes getting really excited about many new bikes tough ( which new adventure model is that again?). When a truly different alternative
comes out (or is brought over) you thus tend to notice. A year or two back for me it was the Honda Scrambler concept based on a Shadow that Cobra did I believe. This year I'm hoping it's the CB1100 but if Yamaha brought over a SR I'm pretty sure that would generate interest. There are the bikes that sell in large numbers upon which manufactures make most of there profits. Then there are the bikes that sell in small numbers but build traffic. This one would likely fit that category and since the tooling was likely paid off in '79 I've got to believe their financial exposure would be minimal.
It's been a long time since I've bought a Yamaha. This one would definitely make the list as I always liked the SR500.
And if it were half the cost of a CB1100, I just might buy it instead of the new CB.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #34
Av8rPaul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I bought an SR500 back in the day. I was stationed at Ft. Hood, TX at the time and had an absolute blast riding the Texas Hill Country on it. 90mph top speed, so light and agile just a wonderful little bike. Put a windshield on it and rode it all the way to Wasilla, AK in September of 1980. 4700 miles, even did a 1000 mile day the first day out. Never had one problem with it and if you learn good technique it is really easy to start.
IBA #33
KTM 950 Adventure, Buell 1125R, Ducati ST4S, BMW R100/7 (x2), Triumph T140E, Suzuki GS1100G, Yamaha SR500, Honda CB750K, and a bunch of dirt bikes...
Av8rPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #35
ivantheterrible
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
I also had an sr500, but i had mixed feelings about it. i thought the carb was overly complex and my bike was prone to smoking like crazy occasionally. Not often enough for me to dig in to it, but often enough to be annoying. This and other parts of the oiling system annoyed me. Still, it might have been just this particular bike.
I'd be all over that sr400, if it were priced right, and had the kicker. Never missed the e-start on my sr500.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #36
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,174
We're seeing more and more models clearly designed for emerging markets. It's a great thing, and these manufacturers are smart. Still -- moving them to the American market just doesn't make sense. This bike will be a fail. Nothing wrong with it, per se. But it will be a fail.
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #37
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
The biggest gripe owners seem to have with the TU250 is that it's a little under powered. That extra 150cc's of the SR would put it into the just enough category if you are considering some freeway travel. I've seen countless posts asking Suzuki to bring a TU500 to market. If Yamaha beats them to the punch, good on them.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #38
HondaFanatic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
I would not mind having one for around 5 grand.
I would say that $4995.00 is definitely the price point to hit. The tooling for this little guy was probably paid for decades ago.

And in this economy Yamaha could market the hell out of "We're looking out for your wallet. For less than five grand you can experience the open road and blah blah blah"
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:23 AM   #39
dlmarquez
dlm

Oddometer: 78
2013 SR400 in the USA

I will promise Yamaha that if they bring that bike exactly as shown, I wil buy one for $5K
got my fingers crossed! I guess you could say I am an eternal optimist!

Actually this looks like one HELL OF A DEAL in comparison to what they are asking for a Royal Enfield!
dlmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #40
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,675
Why any higher than $4399 that a TU250 is listed at, and gets discounted from that to even sell? It has nothing more than a TU except a bigger drill was run thru the cylinder. In fact, if it lacks the E-start it isn't even as many parts to assemble or stock.

My friend raced the old SR/XT/TT500 version in roadracing. I recall all the mods it needed to be beefed up to survive. So, a new bike from 1975 with no other updates in design except F.I.? No thanks, and I loved the mid 70s standard Yamaha styling.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #41
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 798
I could probably put one of these in the garage and not piss the wife off.
She loves this type of bike and I'd probably have to fight her for saddle time.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #42
dlmarquez
dlm

Oddometer: 78
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Why any higher than $4399 that a TU250 is listed at, and gets discounted from that to even sell? It has nothing more than a TU except a bigger drill was run thru the cylinder. In fact, if it lacks the E-start it isn't even as many parts to assemble or stock.

My friend raced the old SR/XT/TT500 version in roadracing. I recall all the mods it needed to be beefed up to survive. So, a new bike from 1975 with no other updates in design except F.I.? No thanks, and I loved the mid 70s standard Yamaha styling.
i have checked out the TU250 and its list price at the Seattle show was 4299. its a noticably smaller bike than the SR and with a 35" inseam and 60something knees that is important.
besides...I LOVE the look of the SR, I only like the look of the TU.
and I am very fond of kickers!
dlmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #43
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
This bike will be a fail. Nothing wrong with it, per se. But it will be a fail.
Depends what you consider a fail. It might not become a huge volume seller in the States but given that it's been in continuous production since the days of dinosaurs it doesn't need to sell in large volume to justify the cost - it already covered any development and set-up costs over and over again. Every machine sold in your market now is just a bonus. Besides... it might sell better than you expect - I have one word for you: hipsters! That's the main market for this bike. Then (and connected to the former) are all custom builders like Deus who always loved to work with SRs they got second hand or (like Deus) imported from Japan in small numbers.

Royal Enfield sells pretty well all over the world, so the demand for retro bikes is definitely there. I know that if I could buy a NEW bike very similar in style and overall vibe to Royal Enfield, at similar price and made in Japan rather than India, I wouldn't give RE a second glance! I suspect there are a few people like me who are put off by the origin and reputation of Enfields, but would happily jump on this one instead.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #44
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,685
I'm afraid a bike that small would get wedged between my over sized butt cheeks, and I would have to have help getting it out.

Any volunteers?

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #45
stretchmoney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Why do they all weigh near 400 lbs?

I once rode the Aprilia 450 sxv. supposdly 225-250 wet and ready to ride, full tank full whatever, was so light it scared me. Every clench of my butt made the thing change direction, every minute road imperfection was felt.
Now, I know that is a very light weight yet powerful engine, but why the hell has tech not moved weight down on anything?
Motorcycles, cars, mountain bikes all get heavier with more BS thrown all over them.
You don't need any fancy materials, Most Ducati frames are the same as 20-30 years back and work well.
Just please make some sporty light weight retros, standards, some light weight fun shit!
My buddy's 1972 or 74 honda xl175 is light, and a blast to ride! And even I can pick the thing up, and I weigh 130.
stretchmoney is offline   Reply With Quote