Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #76
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Kick starters are for the cheap asses who wont spend the 25 dollars on a battery tender, and the hipster dufus;s.

That yamaha SR400 looks sick, id hi it, if it had the magic button only of course.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #77
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,803
That bike is just plain awesome. I am NOT a fan of EFI, but would take it to get that bike. I would also buy a brand new late '70s SR500. I have no idea why an "adventure rider" would have a problem with kick start. I have kick started a lot of bikes, though nothing larger than a 750 four. I had an XR500 that was very easy to kickstart, as well as a '66 Bonneville. The Bonneville had a starting routine, but once you learned it, it usually started in 1 or 2 kicks. I recently installed a kickstarter on my XT225, and no longer use the electric starter. I also had a Metro with a kickstarter, and rarely ever used it. Same with my Vino 125. Why? They put it on the wrong side. You have to start it before getting on. I do kickstart my Stella quite often, it's just more fun to kickstart a bike, it's what old guys like me consider part of the motorcycle experience.

I would also buy a new W650, W800, XS650, or GB500. I have given the current Bonneville a lot of thought, but it just lacks the character I want. The old SR500 and XS650 were both paint shakers, the new Bonnie is too smooth. Never got to check out a W650, W800, or GB500, But would buy one on looks alone.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #78
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,326
Love the bike, and do not need electric start.
On a FI bike, one kick should do it every time, and it should not stall.

I would rather have 25 pounds off the bike and kick it.

A lot of these old Japanese designs use motors that are not balanced and they can vibrate a lot.
My TU250 is balanced and is smooth for a single, and you can scream it all day long in comfort, but some old bikes I have had would self destruct if run at high rpm's very long.

At sea level, in a 65 mph speed limit state that is flat, the TU does fine, but a 350 would be nice.
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #79
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,299
For what its worth my last SR500, while not smooth, was smoother at 65mph than the previous bike, a 2008 KLR.
Both of my SR500's kick started like a charm if you knew the drill and; provided the engine wasn't hot (restart) and the temp wasn't 90+ with 90+ percent humidity. If so, you'll lose 5 lbs.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #80
PAULIBIKER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Did you ever get it running? Most guys quit after 15-20 kicks!

That's funny..................

Anyway my SR500 wasn't bad, pull the compression release, kick over until marker appeared in window, NO THROTTLE, & 1-2 kicks it was going.

I was one of the the few guys that had a bike in high school and got asked "can I ride it" constantly.

"Sure, if you can start it you can ride it".
PAULIBIKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #81
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
This.

But it is interesting to see how out of touch some of you are.
Agreed...I am out of touch...

Was kinda hoping that some more advanced engineering and design work might have gone into it, thereby providing more performance than an ancient, carbureted 650cc thumper.

But that's just me...thanks for schooling me.
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #82
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I recently sold a 1978 SR500 that I had assembled out of the box. It was a very cool motorcycle, but had some short comings. I've enjoyed it all these years and taken excellent care of it. All things must change, I rode it on a 80 mile vintage ride earlier this year and it was fun. But when I returned I realized I wanted more. The premise of the SR is wonderful, short wheelbase, excellent handling. However the rub has always that it is heavy, under powered and has pour suspension. All of which are fixable for a price. I choose to keep mine mostly stock, 38mm Mikuni K&N, upper end oiler, handmade pipe (very nice).
After waffling about selling it for quite sometime, I road a KTM 690 Duke! WOW! It was exactly what the SR wasn't!
I'm not going to tell you that I don't miss the SR, because I do. But somehow the feeling goes away when starting the Duke!
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #83
XZed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Seriously? this is Yamaha's response to the growing midsize market? "Since 1978"? Really? how sad! and this from an avid Yamaha owner...

oops... sorry, wrong picture.. at least that 1978 model has a rear disc and two pipes

Sorry... It's cute, but I'm not buying it... the mirror is crooked

XZed screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 08:16 PM
XZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #84
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie1 View Post
Why are there so many sissies out there? If you can't kick it don't ride it. I rode XLCH Sportsters for years and Velocettes. All it takes is learning the starting drill and knowing your bike.
My dad is 70 now, and has hip trouble. He can still handle a light bike, but not a kickstarter.

Sarah
Old 12-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #85
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by XZed View Post
Seriously? this is Yamaha's response to the growing midsize market? "Since 1978"? Really? how sad! and this from an avid Yamaha owner...

Sorry... It's cute, but I'm not buying it... the mirror is crooked

Why is it sad that a bike sees continuous production? Why would anyone bemoan a modern classic bike that already has a huge aftermarket ? Knowing that it will have continued parts production for many years is bad? An under-stressed, simplistic bike that will more than likely run for decades is a bad thing nowadays ?

There are plenty of plastic fantastic bikes on the market that are chocked full of doodads and gizmos so if that is what someone wants they should look elsewhere. Why bitch about this bike ? Why not allow a new market of reliable,simple,classic and fun small cc bikes ? I think that this bike is a fine example of that and a great addition to those looking for something brand new that still offers a bit of nostalgia. I think that it is great that the market may get back to offering some motorcycles that exemplify motorcycling.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #86
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULIBIKER View Post
That's funny..................

Anyway my SR500 wasn't bad, pull the compression release, kick over until marker appeared in window, NO THROTTLE, & 1-2 kicks it was going.

I was one of the the few guys that had a bike in high school and got asked "can I ride it" constantly.

"Sure, if you can start it you can ride it".
I had a '76 XT500 in college. This one didn't have the window. Otherwise it was as you said. Follow the proper procedure and it would start in 2-3 kicks. Hot, cold, it didn't matter. Anyway I was over at my girlfriend's house one evening and her little brother (around 15 or 16 years old) asked if he could ride it. I told him, "Sure, if you can start it you can ride it"

I would have told him how if he asked, but he never did. We sat on the porch and watched him kick it for 15 or 20 minutes. He was a small guy too, but young and determined. All at once he got it right and it fired up. He was gone for 20 minutes or so. I figured he earned it
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:02 AM   #87
gacksnabbit
Commander

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
I'm the age where most of these "retro" bikes are too retro...

I couldn't wait for the bikes of my youth to get rid of chromed fenders, long, low chromed mufflers, spoked wheels, rear drum brakes etc.

That SR400, no, I would not really want. Neither would I want the CB1100 in it's as sold form, the way it sits. Close, but not quite.
I
I *would* want one of these:

And I'd prefer one of these:

(Well technically, I'd want THIS one, but...)

I agree with all of these!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #88
gore-tx
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,287
I think it's a really cool little bike but the Japanese specs list only 26 HP? They should be able to get more of out that 400cc...
Old 12-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #89
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
I think it's a really cool little bike but the Japanese specs list only 26 HP? They should be able to get more of out that 400cc...
It is an air-cooled single, designed when bell bottoms were cool. No, not a junior high in the 90s - the first time, in the 70s.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #90
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
It is an air-cooled single, designed when bell bottoms were cool. No, not a junior high in the 90s - the first time, in the 70s.

Tell us a story about what life was like when you were a kid, Grandpa!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote