Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 11:15 PM   #106
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
WTF cares with a retro bike? Go, buy something else for performance.

Yeah, I did. The bike wasn't powerful enough as a 500 30 years ago.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #107
HondaFanatic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRoadDog View Post
Ninja 300 also has 2 cylinders....

That's one of the reasons I started this thread, To ask the question... "Can you live with a 400cc single?"

There is no doubt this is a beautiful bike. Everything about it's appearance just does it for me Yamaha hasn't changed a thing on it in 30+ yrs, and for that I commend them. But in this day & age, with traffic so much heavier and average highway speeds running around 75mph, could I really live with only 27hp?
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:50 AM   #108
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
i never thought of it before i saw this thread. but i think i can. i have a 55mile one-way commute, 95% highway at 70mph. i think this bike could do it..

i really like the simplistic concept. i have an SV650 if i want to go "fast".. (i realize it's not the fastest thing out there, but it's got plenty to scare the crap outta me)..

i totally appreciate what this bike is. both my dad and i are interested in one for 2nd bikes. i think it would be such a great time.. it's not all about going fast... it may be for some of you, but for others, we actually enjoy the ride...
Old 12-21-2012, 04:32 AM   #109
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
i never thought of it before i saw this thread. but i think i can. i have a 55mile one-way commute, 95% highway at 70mph. i think this bike could do it..

i really like the simplistic concept. i have an SV650 if i want to go "fast".. (i realize it's not the fastest thing out there, but it's got plenty to scare the crap outta me)..

i totally appreciate what this bike is. both my dad and i are interested in one for 2nd bikes. i think it would be such a great time.. it's not all about going fast... it may be for some of you, but for others, we actually enjoy the ride...

Yep. This bike seems plenty capable of doing everything that I need a bike to do. There are plenty of go fast bikes on the market for those that need that to enjoy riding. Leave this bike to those of us that just enjoy riding for the sake of riding. I have been looking at the TU250 for quite some time and this bike may be a better fit for what I want. I really hope that Yamaha decides to bring this to the US market.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:41 AM   #110
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
400 single

Of course I could live with a 400 single. I rode a 250 Helix 65698 miles. The 400 would probably top out at 85mph. Thats plenty fast enough. I'd want the kick starter though. That makes it a real motorcycle. I'd rather see a four leading shoe front brake than a disc. Keep it like it was back in the day. Thats what its all about.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #111
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,270
I'm not so retro as to want tubed tires on a street bike...

I'd prefer alloy wheels with tubeless tires.

Otherwise, it looks like it would be good for afternoon rides on Texas country roads...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #112
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
nothing wrong with tubed tires, really..

i too have been looking at the TU250, but i know it wouldn't be enough for me. i think the 400 would be just right.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #113
oldhippie1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Sr 400

To me retro means exactly like it was back in the day. Carb, no disc etc. I'd love to see Harley build a magneto, kick start XLCH exactly like they were back in the 60's. This new stuff looks like outer space and the speeds are insane. Build old time bikes for old time riders.
oldhippie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #114
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,765
Living With 27hp.

Took a month long cross country road trip a few years ago on a motorcycle with 28hp. Backroads and two lane secondary highways, where speeds are generaly lower than 60mph, were no problem at all. Modern multi-lane highways and expressways weren't much fun though.

It's one thing being able to maintain 70 or 75mph steady state cruise speeds. But it's a whole other thing when you need to climb hills in traffic and headwinds and maneuver around cars that are capable of accelerating at those speeds.

Being realistic; an SR400 is probably a decent bike for a congested city riding or burbling along backroads at a liesurely pace. But I wouldn't plan on it being a great bike for expressway/highway/interstate type riding.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #115
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
There seem to be a fairly sizable number of people who ride 400 Burgmans all over the place and one of them probably weighs, 100+ pounds more (?).
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #116
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
There seem to be a fairly sizable number of people who ride 400 Burgmans all over the place and one of them probably weighs, 100+ pounds more (?).
Yeah, but these guys don't have to to compensate for anything or they wouldn't be on a Burgman to begin with ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #117
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
The Burgman is a recumbent design with a lower drag coefficient than a conventional motorcycle. It also has a dohc, four valve, liquid cooled, fuel injected, 12.5:1 cr motor running through a cvt transmission.

ie: It's a little more sophisticated and makes a lot more power than an air-cooled, two valve SR400.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #118
HondaFanatic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Took a month long cross country road trip a few years ago on a motorcycle with 28hp. Backroads and two lane secondary highways, where speeds are generaly lower than 60mph, were no problem at all. Modern multi-lane highways and expressways weren't much fun though.

It's one thing being able to maintain 70 or 75mph steady state cruise speeds. But it's a whole other thing when you need to climb hills in traffic and headwinds and maneuver around cars that are capable of accelerating at those speeds.

Being realistic; an SR400 is probably a decent bike for a congested city riding or burbling along backroads at a liesurely pace. But I wouldn't plan on it being a great bike for expressway/highway/interstate type riding.
THIS!

A bike that "probably tops out at 85mph" means it's pegging its tach constantly just to keep up with the flow of traffic. As much as I love the SR's look...I think the new CB1100 is the bike for me
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #119
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,445
I have the Ninja 300 with 39 HP and it can top out at just over 100 but for the real world, it hits about 87 at an OK clip, at 12500 in 4th gear mind you, and then picks up speed at a glacial pace.

It'll cruise at 85 all day long, and has the RPM range to drop to 4th gear again and scream up a hill if you really had to. This 27 HP single will not.

You guys need a reminder of the 1970s! I recently grabbed a Hodaka Road Toad which I remembered pulling throttle wheelies on at 17 years old. Those recollections were the most wrong I ever could have been. Laughable, mopedish power. Memories should be left alone! mine are shattered now!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #120
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
The Burgman is a recumbent design with a lower drag coefficient than a conventional motorcycle. It also has a dohc, four valve, liquid cooled, fuel injected, 12.5:1 cr motor running through a cvt transmission.

ie: It's a little more sophisticated and makes a lot more power than an air-cooled, two valve SR400.

Just throwing it out as food for thought. I seem to remember reading that the Burg put out around 25-27 rwhp. Not sure if this was the gen 1 or 2. I'd suspect greater losses from the cvt than with a standard. Point taken regarding aero. Might help the burger maintain higher speeds better. I think the SR400 would spank it 0-60 though.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote