Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 07:06 PM   #1
chuppie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Anyone have a Dry Cut Chop Saw for steel ?

Are they worth the price? Do the blades last?

What brand do you have and how is it holding up?

Thanks
chuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:32 PM   #2
pigjockey
Hognuts

Oddometer: 936
I have a Milwaukee cold cut saw. The Milwaukee 14" blages cost $100 apiece. Great saw for clean cuts and minimal sparks. Cuts very fast through steel. The miter on the saw is kind of cheap but I usually scribe my cuts or use a angle copier to match the angle. I think I paid $400 for the saw slightly used with the spare Milwaukee blade. The blade that came on the saw was some aftermarket brand. There are a few teeth missing but it still works good. Make sure the steel is in tight in the vise or it will go flying. I love this saw as it is very accurate. I used it for a bumper for the wife's Jeep made out of 2x6x3/8" tube. Looked professional when done. And the money I saved buying the saw and the materials was cheaper than a manufactured bumper. Get one you'll love it!!!!!
4:20 Its Hippy Hour
pigjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:49 PM   #3
pigjockey
Hognuts

Here's the bumper with a winch receiver frenched in. Picked the jeep up for $375 at a garage sale completely stock.

pigjockey screwed with this post Today at 08:16 PM
Old Today, 07:50 PM   #4
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer: 6,616
The low rpm cold saws are awesome! They are really expensive. very fast, low noise, very accurate cut.
Old Today, 07:50 PM   #5
pigjockey
Hognuts

Made the rack from 1" EMT. the saw wanted to grab the stock because it is so thin. so had to use a slow steady cut. $100 materials to make,

pigjockey screwed with this post Today at 08:00 PM
Old Today, 07:57 PM   #6
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,386
had a Dewalt DW872 cold saw but it grew legs and cannot be found .. really miss that saw
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:18 PM   #7
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 34,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
had a Dewalt DW872 cold saw but it grew legs and cannot be found .. really miss that saw
A real "cold saw"? It would have to have some strong legs to walk away. A light weight cold saw weighs about 175lbs. That DeWalt is a dry saw. A cold saw turns about 70rpm and uses coolant.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:22 PM   #8
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,386
DW872 spins at about 1300 rpm .. that was the handiest saw for cutting metal. it went missing about a year ago .. can't find it for the life of me. it's not like me to lose equipment
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:35 PM   #9
pigjockey
Hognuts

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/6190-20
Old Today, 08:45 PM   #10
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,798
Have a Dewalt. Love it. Came with a standard blade and I also picked up a fine tooth blade. I have had this saw for probably close to 8 years now. One blade has been resharpened, another needs it. I have made all the storage cabinets in the garage, gate and bridge for the back yard, bunch of frames for work.

You can't beat on it like a chop saw. You must be deliberate on your cuts. To an extent it is a giant mill blade. It can cut very clean. Don't use it to cut cable or bundles of stuff. What you are cutting MUST be securely clamped in the built in vise. No freehand work. Cut only clean metal, no crusty rusty stuff. You only get a few sparks off the blade. If you get a show of sparks like a chop saw, you just killed the blade. It does leave a pile of chips behind, but they are not a pile of grit. The blade does not shrink in use like a chop saw.

The dry cut saw is very much like a very nice chop saw, but isn't. Treat it with a chop saw mentality and things are not going to be pretty.
Old Today, 11:47 PM   #11
redprimo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
I have a Jepson I bought used 20 years ago. Most people have probably never heard of Jepson because it's not a big box store brand. It's actually a step up in quality and more of industrial quality lifetime tool. Very well designed and robust.

At school we have a Makita and it's a well designed tool. The motor isn't as robust as my Jepson but of I was buying a new saw I would probably choose the Makita.
redprimo is online now   Reply With Quote