User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #46
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,386
Mine recently arrived. I had it from unboxed to configured in about 15 minutes using the debian destro. It already had kernel support for the postage stamped size wifi adapter I bought for it ($8 on amazon). I fired xdm back to my linux desktop to putz around with it. It is pretty easy to top it out if you are running multiple applications and not using the local HDMI output for display. A quick hack and I mounted an SMB share in the house on my pogoplug and have access to a few TB of data.

If you are purchasing, I advise a few things:

a) buy a case. You don't need the expensive, but a simple case will do.
b) Buy the low profile SD card holder for micro-SD. If not, the SD card will stick out of the side which may lead to damage.
c) Buy the el-cheap realtek wifi adapter for it. This is the one I have and it is smaller than a penny.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...9STD3DC1619F1B

I was thinking about using it to replace or in conjunction with an Arduino. It is definately more powerful than arduino but I haven't figured out the pinouts/Python scripting yet.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #47
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,429
i read this because it looked interesting, but I only understood about 1/4 of what you were all on about, its cool, still interesting

thanks
Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #48
aadal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Raspberry Pi is a nice device runs linux "out of the box" with programming tools for kids. I got mine in November i think, was up at 05:00 to preorder(nerd alert)
But I played with it a couple of days and could't make it run HD IPTV with XBMC, it studdert. So it's been in the box for a couple of months waiting for me to nerd with it :P
If anyone has a good build for it to use as media center I would like to get a link.
Else im gonna make it to a NAS and VPN point, so no Free WiFi can pick up my passwords and mail while traveling :-)
Btw the power usage of this device very nice and low
For cover does anyone have a makebot i can borrow hehe..
aadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #49
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadal View Post
Raspberry Pi is a nice device runs linux "out of the box" with programming tools for kids. I got mine in November i think, was up at 05:00 to preorder(nerd alert)
But I played with it a couple of days and could't make it run HD IPTV with XBMC, it studdert. So it's been in the box for a couple of months waiting for me to nerd with it :P
If anyone has a good build for it to use as media center I would like to get a link.
Else im gonna make it to a NAS and VPN point, so no Free WiFi can pick up my passwords and mail while traveling :-)
Btw the power usage of this device very nice and low
For cover does anyone have a makebot i can borrow hehe..
I was thinking about this distro on a different SD card just to play around:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...e_Raspberry_Pi

So, just for giggles, I installed xbmc to an SD and fired it right up. Worked rather well with some work. I plugged in a monitor I had that had HDMI and it worked perfectly to include defining the correct screen resolution and audio. I installed a free ipad app which functioned as a remote control for the device. The XBMC image is very polished with the potential to add a considerable number of add-ons for music, video, remote file systems or streams, etc. It also supports airplay for apple folks which I thought was interesting. I mounted my local PogoPlug 2TB drive with videos and they streamed rather well via wifi. The only piece I wasn't able to figure out just yet was the TV/PVR component as most expect you to have server supporting the exposing of streaming content.

The convenient thing is, I pulled my SD and rebooted to return to the previous project I was playing with.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer

SimpleSimon screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 12:56 PM
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #50
aadal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
aadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:04 AM   #51
inyang
5secs away

Oddometer: 326
Teaching Tool?

Ordered from amazon.com today

Should be here in 3 weeks

Will play with it. Planning to use it for teaching secondary school kids some basic stuff, maybe hold a competition for them or similar
Old 04-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #52
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyang View Post
Ordered from amazon.com today

Should be here in 3 weeks

Will play with it. Planning to use it for teaching secondary school kids some basic stuff, maybe hold a competition for them or similar
Good on you. Much cheaper solution than having to raise the $$$$ that FIRST wants for a Junior Lego League.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #53
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
She had a raspberry Pi...oh wait, that's not right!

All kidding aside, they sell those at RS too and they re very cool.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #54
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,195
Thought I'd give this a bump, the Pi's are now 25-35 dollars but the cheap "PC" market is getting a bit more crowded. If you go on Amazon or I'm sure a bunch of other sites lots of Android ones are popping up for 25-60 dollars. Considering they don't need batteries or screens it's not surprising that a more traditional plug in computer based on their tech would be so cheap. Also they are much smaller than the Pi.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #55
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

I was in the newsagents in town the other day at the newsagents and they had a fairly thick magazine just about Raspbery Pi. I flicked through it but didn't really know what I was looking it.

A while back, I was thinking about how it would be possible to automate the lighting in a house, includeing the ceiling fans. Maybe have a central control panel that some how is linked to the lights. I asked my step son and he said, well yeah, probably, but you would need a computer some where.

BINGO! Raspberry pi

So now I am interested again

I am thinking of a centralised control panel with some some kind of controller (blu-tooth / IR / wifi / touch screen) that one can use to turn lights and ceiling fans on or off. Maybe a dimmer function?
would it be possible to use an I Phone and Android?

bearing in mind that I bearly understand all the acronymes mentioned in previous posts, maybe this is way out of my ability with out some serious learning but is it sensibly possible?

I think the riskiest / hardest things is wiring in to the mains power supply?

an thoughts / guides / suggestions

thanks
Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Old 09-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #56
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,438
You'd want to separate the control circuitry from the load circuitry, so instead of having a toggle interrupting mains power directly to turn off an overhead light, for example, you'd have a contactor controlled by a low-wattage circuit better suited to remote control. Then the trick is establishing communication with the contactor controller and creating an interface for it.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #57
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

ahh ok, so the raspbery pi would be the controller that would control a bank of relay's that would actually do the switch on / off

Going Bush in a few hours and so have got a fair few pages open so I can read them off line later

Hay Ewe
Old 09-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #58
emerson.biguns
All idiot, no savant

Oddometer: 9,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
Going Bush in a few hours...

emerson.biguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:31 AM   #59
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

I thought about this some more, and too complicated, for me at this stage.
Instead I thought about something else that interests me, engine control and I have in idea how I (think) it could work for have two engines run evenly.

My next years project is an RC boat and I think this would work well.

I read up a fair few pages about raspberry whilst in the bush (mind out of the gutter emerson) and got a lot of learning to do, fortunatly it looks like the UK high school sylabus is able to be downloaded and I have a spare computer at home.

lets see where we go from here
thanks
Hay Ewe
Old 09-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #60
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

i got the magazine today, one of the most expensive I have ever brought
IT have some old keyboards, monitors are cheap, all that seems easy

I also made a list of the things I need to do before starting this project, so going to hussle home now and get some stuff done!

Hay Ewe

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: