User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Guzzi Nuovo Falcone 500cc Single- The Mighty Falcon

I'm starting what I expect to be a very lonely thread.

The 500cc Nuovo Falcone (New Falcon) was produced from about 1969 to 1976. It followed a long line of Falcone 500 singles made by Guzzi since 1950.

The Nuovo Falcone is substantially updated from the earlier "Old" Falcone with a new (Tonti) frame, revised engine and covered flywheel to distinguish it from the earlier "Bacon Slicer" exposed flywheel models.

Guzzi produced the Nuovo Falcone in both a Militare (Military) version and a Civile (Civilian) version. The Militare shows a short gas tank, single instrumentation (speedo) and normally two seats. The Civile has a longer narrow tank, dual instruments (speedo and tach) and a single two-person seat. The Militare is much more commonly found since they were built in greater numbers and supplied to several European military and police forces.

The Nuovo Falcone bikes were never officially imported into the US and I do not think they were even imported into the UK.

I acquired a '74 Civilan model a few months ago and love it.

NFalcone owners out there - speak up !

leafman60 screwed with this post 09-22-2014 at 06:19 AM
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
Nice! On my short wish list.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
lrutt
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,243
I love the single but I'd just have to have the exposed flywheel. that just makes it IMO
2006 HD 1200C, 2006 Tri Scrambler, 2001 Duc M900, 2001 Hon XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1989 Hon Hawk GT, 1978 Hon CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Hon CB750K, 1965 Hon 305 Dream, 1973 Nort 850 Commando, 1971 Tri Trophy 650, 1970 Hon Trail 90, 1970 Tri Tiger 650, 1973 Hon Z50, 1984 Yam Virago 1000, 1981 Hon Passport 70, 1970 Suz T250, 1971 Yam RT1 360
lrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
I'm starting what I expect to be a very lonely thread.

The 500cc Nuovo Falcone (New Falcon) was produced from about 1969 to 1976. It followed a long line of Falcone 500 singles made by Guzzi since 1950.

The Nuovo Falcone is substantially updated from the earlier "Old" Falcone with a new frame, revised engine and covered flywheel to distinguish it from the earlier "Bacon Slicer" exposed flywheels.

These were never officially imported into the US and I do not think they were even imported into the UK.

I acquired a '74 Civilan model a few months ago and love it.

NFalcone owners out there - speak up !

Glad to see you are still happy with it Leafman. I remember your post over on Wildguzzi.

There was a 1972 Nuovo Falcone for sale in Ontario a little while back and I was (and still am) sorely tempted. At $6450, I thought the price was a bit steep since it didn't appear to have original paint and looked a bit battered, although low miles. Certainly, it was nowhere near as sexy as yours.

How about giving us an unbiased (as if that's possible) ride review - preferably with some video?

Thanks, and happy riding.

Nick
nick949eldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
Claytonroy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
There's a guy in Washington state that has one of these....a red frame bike with the partially exposed flywheel....not sure of the year. I've seen it at the Vashon TT once or twice.

I have a photo, but sadly....no way to post it. If someone PM's me, I can fwd it. I'd guess it's an earlier model but of this same era 1969-1976.

How's does your Guzzi handle? That weight distribution has to be ideal for a single cylinder bike...
Claytonroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Rathlindri
Guinness fan

Oddometer: 343
u lucky man....

Rathlindri screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 03:08 PM
Rathlindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytonroy View Post
There's a guy in Washington state that has one of these....a red frame bike with the partially exposed flywheel....not sure of the year. I've seen it at the Vashon TT once or twice.

I have a photo, but sadly....no way to post it. If someone PM's me, I can fwd it. I'd guess it's an earlier model but of this same era 1969-1976.

How's does your Guzzi handle? That weight distribution has to be ideal for a single cylinder bike...

Yes, send it. I'll post it and maybe tell something about what it is when I see it. I've PM you my email address.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Glad to see you are still happy with it Leafman. I remember your post over on Wildguzzi.

There was a 1972 Nuovo Falcone for sale in Ontario a little while back and I was (and still am) sorely tempted. At $6450, I thought the price was a bit steep since it didn't appear to have original paint and looked a bit battered, although low miles. Certainly, it was nowhere near as sexy as yours.

How about giving us an unbiased (as if that's possible) ride review - preferably with some video?

Thanks, and happy riding.

Nick

Hey Nick, man.

I saw the ad for that bike in Canada recently and exchanged emails with the guy. The muffler is the weakest part of it, cosmetically. That could be replaced or re-finished. I think the rest of the bike is in good shape.

Any Old Falcone or New Falcone is very rare in North America.

The prices are going up too. I don't think his asking price is out of line. Message him and talk.

His bike is the more commonly found of these rare bikes. It has the military-style tank which was installed on some bikes not intended for military service. My bike was a short-run of "Civilian" bikes with the longer tank and the one-into-two exhaust as opposed to what is called the "bunkbed" exhaust shown on the bike in Canada.

Honest ride report. Hmmm. Okay.

The common thing mentioned in every ride report I've seen is the bike's lack of power. It's true. You're not going to get whiplash riding it.

The Nuovo Falcone is much better in this regard than the "bacon slicers," though. I can easily ride my NFalcone at highway speeds in traffic. I've had it up to 70 mph but it prefers to stay around 50-60.

Nonetheless, my first few rides on it left me with doubts. Other than the striking visual appeal of the thing with all those huge fins, I cannot describe my initial riding experience with any adjective nearing the word "thrilling." My thoughts were, "this thing's a dog !"

Well, over several months now, the N Falcone has grown on me and, although "thrilling" or "exhilarating" are not in the lexicon describing the bike, I would certainly describe it as "fun" and "relaxing." I like it... a lot.

Just as with people, its strengths are also its weaknesses. The lethargic forward progress of the machine is explained in large part by its low state of tune and its enormously heavy flywheel. You can grab a handful of throttle and say both "Mississippi" AND "Saskatchewan" several times before you notice the motor responding ( I exaggerate ... but not much).

On the other hand, you can idle the thing down to where it just barely pops every once in a while as it slowly idles the flywheel around. I don't do this since I'm afraid of low oil pressure and oil starvation of the bearings. You can easily, however, slow the bike down in first gear to
BELOW a walking pace.

It WILL reach an acceptable cruising speed... eventually. It really does. When you shift a gear, you must grab the clutch and "Mississippi, Saskatchewan" before yanking on the shift lever to get a smooth transition. You can clip along just fine at 50 or even 60. It'll get on up to 70, and maybe beyond, but by that time it's telling you it doesnt like it. Vibes become annoying.

Now, having said all that, I am very pleased with the frame and the bike's curvy road handling. It flicks easily from side to side and corners very well in the mountains. The Nuovo Falcone is very fun to ride and competent on curvy roads.

Visually, it strikes an impressive image. If you're a mechanical person, few bikes will have the allure and appeal of the N Falcone. The Guzzi single is a vivid epitome of "character."

leafman60 screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 05:39 PM
Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, send it. I'll post it and maybe tell something about what it is when I see it. I've PM you my email address.

Thanks
Okay, here's Clayton's picture-

That is a Nuovo Falcone Civile (Civilian) which is the same model as mine. They were produced in limited quantities from 1971 to about 1974. I've seen mention made that Guzzi may have continued the white/red version as late as 1976. The red frame/white body was the standard color. In 1974 they made a limited number, only 74, of maroon bikes with different decals and chrome fenders like mine. From '74 to '76 my understanding is that production focussed on the Sahara model, a semi-military version in tan.

I'm guessing this bike is about 1972.

The cut-away on the flywheel cover is something an owner has done and is not stock. You see something like this from time to time on Nuovo Falcones. People like to open up the non-sealed cover in various ways to expose the spinning flywheel. The stock cover extends down further but, even with the stock cover, you can see the flywheel spinning at bottom of the cover.

I wish I could see the other side and what exhaust it has. I'm sure the bike has been re-painted. The tank decals look to be just a tiny bit too high. The front fender eagle is way too high and the stock ones I've seen had a side pinstripe along the edges.

leafman60 screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 07:58 AM
Old 12-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,966
Leafman60 - Great write up. I'll have to try that "Mississippi, Saskatchewan" next time I'm on my 50cc scooter.
See how many times I can say it before it moves :-)
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
Schlivitz
Mercury Freefall

Oddometer: 58
I have always admired the Nuovo Falcones. Cool and Euro, without being raucous.
Have you tried preloading the shifter when you up-shift? It makes my old Airhead seem alot less agricultural. Driving tractors is too much like work.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:45 AM   #12
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Leafman - Thanks for a great report. Its pretty much what I expected. With the kind of riding I do, I don't have much need for speed - and anyway, have a Breva 1100 for that. I can imagine these bikes get under your skin as you suggest.

Happy riding - you're a lucky guy!

Nick

PS. You have a Matchless G80? I'm in deep envy now.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlivitz View Post
I have always admired the Nuovo Falcones. Cool and Euro, without being raucous.
Have you tried preloading the shifter when you up-shift? It makes my old Airhead seem alot less agricultural. Driving tractors is too much like work.

Yes, I've tried the preload thing but, really, if you let the Guzzi calm down its revs before the shift, it goes into gear nicely with or without the preload.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #14
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
Leafman -
PS. You have a Matchless G80? I'm in deep envy now.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I haven't forgotten that this is Nuovo Falcone thread, but...........those Matchless singles have to be one of the best looking engines ever made. Beautiful bike! Thanks.

Nick