Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #31
SikDMAX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
At this point with is delaying your trip and all, I would buy a complete new carb, bolt it on and go. If youve got fuel running thru the fuel line at the carb, spark at the plug, thats pretty much got to be it. Good luck, keep us informed!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #32
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,470
Has a compression check been done? The bit about needing throttle to start could be indicative of a compression issue....

And just because the valve's clearance is in spec doesn't mean it's sealing. Valves have been burnt up in less than 6k miles. Doesn't happen often, and is usually because something else was not right, but it still happens.

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #33
GarryC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
[QUOTE=jrzyguy;20283285 happened inconsistently...hard starting (needed to hold throttle open to start), would shut off at idle, hesitation at varying RPM's, and finally it wouldn't start at all.
old plugs looked like it was running rich[/QUOTE]

Had the same probs with my DR650. The choke (cold start enrichment circuit) plunger wasn't seating causing an extremely rich mixture. Cleaned it up and fixed the prob.
2011 R1200GS
GarryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #34
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Oddometer: 370
Yeah, it's probably the carb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryC View Post
Had the same probs with my DR650. The choke (cold start enrichment circuit) plunger wasn't seating causing an extremely rich mixture. Cleaned it up and fixed the prob.
Garry,
Even though I'm having the tech adjust the valves, I'm also convinced the problem is in the carb. And once I send a new one down, I'm certain that I'll get good news from him! Thanks for your comment.
Jim
jrzyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #35
Feelers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzyguy View Post
Garry,
Even though I'm having the tech adjust the valves, I'm also convinced the problem is in the carb. And once I send a new one down, I'm certain that I'll get good news from him! Thanks for your comment.
Jim
If your tech cannot fix a basic single carb, what makes you think he can install and tune a new one? I wouldn't be very trusting, though I suppose you don't have much choice.

Any news on whether or not it works?
Feelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #36
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelers View Post
If your tech cannot fix a basic single carb, what makes you think he can install and tune a new one? I wouldn't be very trusting, though I suppose you don't have much choice.

Any news on whether or not it works?
After all this screwing around ... I agree with the above sentiment! You need to find a NEW MECHANIC ... based on what I'm reading you are being taken for a ride ... down a dark alley. Don't get mugged. Get your bike and get out before it costs you any more.

Mexico has many very skilled ... AND HONEST ... mechanics.
Find one! All the best, hope things get solved.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #37
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
After all this screwing around ... I agree with the above sentiment! You need to find a NEW MECHANIC ... based on what I'm reading you are being taken for a ride ... down a dark alley. Don't get mugged. Get your bike and get out before it costs you any more.

Mexico has many very skilled ... AND HONEST ... mechanics.
Find one! All the best, hope things get solved.
I'm responding to both you and Feeler here...and appreciate your comments and frustrations! You're right about my tech not being knowledgeable about the carb rebuilding/settings, but he will certainly be able to handle installing my new carb...especially since I'm hand delivering it to him instead of shipping it. And his charges to date were $35 USD...so I haven't been taken advantage of. But that said, I would much rather be in the hands of a more experienced tech. And on that thought, I do have a backup plan to use another mechanic in Fresnillo if my moto doesn't fire up.

I'm flying back on Tuesday, the 8th. Hope I get to send out some good news on the 9th!

Jim
Old 01-03-2013, 05:15 AM   #38
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,607
Moto Chavane Pro Suzuki, Suzuki dealer on Avenida Vallarta 3162 in Gaudalajara, has competent mechanics but not cheap.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #39
6gear
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Stuck in Mexico

I don't know about DR 650, but I know a lot about being broken down!

After breezing through all the replies it sounds like a lot of screwing around, but that's how troubleshooting goes. It is frustrating.
Just a reminder to keep control of the situation, and not let it control you. I've fallen into that too often and it only prolongs resolve.
Hope you're on the road soon, but in the meantime find some enjoyment too.

Ride safe.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #40
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,116
I read through all of this and my thought was a tank of bad gas. But the first post says "install new gas". Hopefully that meant "drain all old gas and install new gas" and not "add new gas". So now the only thing I can see that was never mentioned is if there is actually fuel in the float bowl. Has anyone ever opened the drain screw on the float bowl to see if there is gas in it? They definitely should have tried starting fluid or squirted some gas into the throat of the carb.

And if there is gas in the float bowl maybe the float valve isn't sealing and it is just flooded. Take the plugs out and see if they are wet with gas.

trailrider383 screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 10:18 AM
trailrider383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #41
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Moto Chavane Pro Suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Moto Chavane Pro Suzuki, Suzuki dealer on Avenida Vallarta 3162 in Gaudalajara, has competent mechanics but not cheap.
Kiko, Thanks for the lead...the more backup I have, the better my chances are of riding out of Mexico! Jim
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #42
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
I read through all of this and my thought was a tank of bad gas. But the first post says "install new gas". Hopefully that meant "drain all old gas and install new gas" and not "add new gas". So now the only thing I can see that was never mentioned is if there is actually fuel in the float bowl. Has anyone ever opened the drain screw on the float bowl to see if there is gas in it? They definitely should have tried starting fluid or squirted some gas into the throat of the carb.

And if there is gas in the float bowl maybe the float valve isn't sealing and it is just flooded. Take the plugs out and see if they are wet with gas.
Trailrider383, I appreciate your input. Yes to the question of complete fuel replacement...Yes to the question of fuel in the bowl...No to question of using starting fluid (we should have)...and didn't know enough at the time to check and adjust the float level (the fuel valve looked good and I assume it was sealing properly). The new Mikuni TM 40 Pumper carb I'm returning to Zacatecas with on the 8th will address all carb issues. Wish me luck!
Jim
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #43
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzyguy View Post
Trailrider383, I appreciate your input. Yes to the question of complete fuel replacement...Yes to the question of fuel in the bowl...No to question of using starting fluid (we should have)...and didn't know enough at the time to check and adjust the float level (the fuel valve looked good and I assume it was sealing properly). The new Mikuni TM 40 Pumper carb I'm returning to Zacatecas with on the 8th will address all carb issues. Wish me luck!
Jim
Send me a ticket to Mexico and I'll fix it for you. I love a challenge. And it was 4 degrees at my house this morning. Good luck, keep us updated.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #44
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
Another thing to check, the pickup (usually a hall effect sensor) that sends the "Go bang now" signal to the ignition module. I've had those come loose or get covered with crap - which causes all sorts of interesting problems.

Luck
Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #45
jrzyguy OP
Restless

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
Another thing to check, the pickup (usually a hall effect sensor) that sends the "Go bang now" signal to the ignition module. I've had those come loose or get covered with crap - which causes all sorts of interesting problems.

Luck
Pete
Pete, I've heard the pickup also referred to as the pulse coil. Either way, this is part of the stator, isn't it? In which case, I have it covered. Jim