Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #31
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Cool tent! Sounds like what I need. I did a search of Swiss Army Tent to find this one with zero hits. Any chance you can forward the make/model of this one? I have been trying to find a used Reverz Gen II but I could buy 5 of these for the same money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDoc View Post
I found a Swiss Army tent I wanted about 12 years ago; but balked at paying over $90 for a tent that I was likely only going to use a couple of times. It went on sale for $39.95. Over ten years later and a lot of use, it is still a great tent. I wanted something that would hold two people and two dogs with enough headroom for my over 6' large frame and bought this;

seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #32
roostar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I've been doing a lot of research on this subject and pulled the trigger on a hammock. Haven't used it yet but there is a strong following for this style of camping as it gets you off the ground. For me, the older I get, the less I enjoy sleeping on the ground despite all the great sleep pads available. The hammocks are small, packable, lightweight, and quick for set up. When properly tarped, there are no issues of pooling rain water etc. If your tree-less, you can still go to ground bivy-style.
roostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:13 AM   #33
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,121
I had a Hennessy hammock before they put the side zipper in and really liked it. Been thinking about picking up another one with the side Zip entrance.

My buddies called of the tactical taco lol

Sent from my iPhone
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #34
O'B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
These are neat tents. I prefer a floor and suffer the weight penalty. My best tent is a MSR Hubba-Hubba, which is a good mid-range (~$300) price tent. I bought mine on sale online at about 1/3 off.
They have floors that are waterproof and after Christmas they will probably have a sale. These things are used by hardcore backpackers in all kinds of weather. These little shops produce some of the most durable functional gear there is. Also check out Feathered Friends for sleeping bags, I had one that lasted Twenty years. This big name chinese made crap is just a marketing promotion. Why do you think those Big Agness sleeping bags with no bottoms are made like that? Because with the pad there just as warm and you don't slide of the pad. Bullshit they are cheaper to make and then they get you to buy the pad. Tarptent American made by real backpackers. I will say MSR still makes good stuff. I had an MSR stove that I bought in 1971 and had until 2000 that I relaced with a Whisperlight.
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #35
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
I have been looking in to options for not just motorcycling but backpacking. There are not a lot of options when you consider weight. The 'motorcycle' tents the OP put up were very heavy and could not be used for hiking.

Under 3LBS but uses trekking polls. folding polls are also available.
I think I am going to give one of these a try for my next tent bit pricy but I do believe in shelters you get what you pay for.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2012-meta2p-tent

Polless air beam tent... little heavier but no poles at all to deal with...

More here: http://www.nemoequipment.com/tents2012
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #36
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Here is a three person you can stand up in... well close...

not cheap but made in the USA! (this one)
Frontier™ 3P by Nemo
Old 12-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #37
rotten
LOST AGAIN

found another pyramid tent here... ~$550

http://www.wolf-paw.com/933/products...dark_moss.aspx

8'x8' Cabela's no mention of weight 6' center.. $250.00

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat105517980
Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #38
seniorasi
Banned

It was the $90.00 tag on sale for $40.00 that caught my eye. For $550.00 I'll go with the moto tent. Just need a spot to stand up and get dressed unencumbered. Love the Gen II, hate the price tag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten View Post
found another pyramid tent here... ~$550

http://www.wolf-paw.com/933/products...dark_moss.aspx

8'x8' Cabela's no mention of weight 6' center.. $250.00

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Campi...3Bcat105517980
Old 12-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #39
seniorasi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostar View Post
I've been doing a lot of research on this subject and pulled the trigger on a hammock. Haven't used it yet but there is a strong following for this style of camping as it gets you off the ground. For me, the older I get, the less I enjoy sleeping on the ground despite all the great sleep pads available. The hammocks are small, packable, lightweight, and quick for set up. When properly tarped, there are no issues of pooling rain water etc. If your tree-less, you can still go to ground bivy-style.
I love the hammock for about 5 minutes. I've got a seriously bad back that requires alot of rolling around during the night. Riding the big pig so weight is not a worry. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #40
rotten
LOST AGAIN

I care more about weight and am willing to pay more for a lighter single walled tent.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #41
O'B
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten View Post
I have been looking in to options for not just motorcycling but backpacking. There are not a lot of options when you consider weight. The 'motorcycle' tents the OP put up were very heavy and could not be used for hiking.

Under 3LBS but uses trekking polls. folding polls are also available.
I think I am going to give one of these a try for my next tent bit pricy but I do believe in shelters you get what you pay for.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/nemo2012-meta2p-tent

Polless air beam tent... little heavier but no poles at all to deal with...

More here: http://www.nemoequipment.com/tents2012
These are nice too. Another thing to remember
about these tents is that when they say 20 inches long that is usally a reference about folded pole length. Think about it you could strap the poles literally anyplace on the bike and have an actual tent as big as a medium towel to pack away. These things are so much more versatile than a hammock or bivi sac jf you are moto camping. And in varying climates they really come into their own with the excellent ventilation. Also if the tent needs repairs which all tents that really get used do you have a place to get it fixed. Excellent warranty policy also. As you can see by the companies history timeline Tarptent was the original.
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #42
Maxyb
Falling over slowly

Oddometer: 104
I just happened to stumble upon DD hammocks at a local MC shop, when i was shopping for a helmet

for $80, i couldn't go wrong. I was actually considering a Hennessey hammock, but these seem just as good for less than half the price. double walled bottom for insert of a mattress and a mosquito net with zips both sides. bloody comfortable (if you set it up properly) and easy to put up.

best of all it only weighs 900 odd grams (just under 2 lb for the old world) and with a tarp it packs half the size of my 1 man swag.

If there's no trees around i can use it as a bivvy if needs be, and with the sleeve it takes even less time to put up

http://www.ddhammocks.com/

and for any aussies looking at them - the importer is based in ballina, i love supporting the local blokes

http://www.amtcgear.com.au/products_...ductCategoryID[]=6
Maxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #43
luckyjr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Euraka

The Euraka Apex 2Xt is hard to beat for less than $100. Used them with boy scout, dog and all and they are hard to kill.
luckyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #44
roostar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxyb View Post
I just happened to stumble upon DD hammocks at a local MC shop, when i was shopping for a helmet

for $80, i couldn't go wrong. I was actually considering a Hennessey hammock, but these seem just as good for less than half the price. double walled bottom for insert of a mattress and a mosquito net with zips both sides. bloody comfortable (if you set it up properly) and easy to put up.

best of all it only weighs 900 odd grams (just under 2 lb for the old world) and with a tarp it packs half the size of my 1 man swag.

If there's no trees around i can use it as a bivvy if needs be, and with the sleeve it takes even less time to put up

http://www.ddhammocks.com/

and for any aussies looking at them - the importer is based in ballina, i love supporting the local blokes

http://www.amtcgear.com.au/products_...ductCategoryID[]=6
Looks like you scored a great deal. I dropped $150 for a Warbonnet Black Bird. It hasn't landed on my doorstep yet but it's my last shot at finding real comfort out on the road (or trails). I figure two nights in motel expenses covered the price and if I don't like it, I can sell it pretty easy on the hammock forums.
roostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #45
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
As it does in pretty much every product made. There will always be someone who has to tell people that his $39 disposable Walmart tent is as good as the premium ones that cost hundreds of dollars more, but nobody is fooled by it. If you can't afford a premium quality tent, then buy one that is in your budget. No need to pretend it's as good or has the same features that the expensive ones have.
The bottom line for any tent is whether it keeps you dry and keeps the bugs away. I bought my $20 on a lark and it has, surprisingly, met both of those requirements quite well. Sure, there's a weight penalty for the material used and fiberglass vs. aluminum poles but it's not material to me when moto camping. I have other brand name spendier tents that I use for backcountry hiking and such but the $20 tent works just fine for moto camping.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote