User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #106
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
California

Plan to be in CA at the end of April to ride up PCH, visit Marin and then head east on US 50.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #107
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

A few photos from the journey.

Benito Juarez, a full blooded Zapotec who did not speak Spanish until he was in his teens. Served as President of Mexico for five terms. (1858-1872) One of the most revered men in Mexico. Tomorrow is his holiday although he was on March 21. This sculpture is in front of the main post office in Veracruz.

Eagle. Veracruz. Plaza in front of Post Office

Detail of "workers" sculpture in front of Veracruz Post Office

Detail of "worker" sculpture

Huachinango al Mojo de Ajo, it's what's for dinner! Or lunch, maybe even breakfast. Veracruz 2/13. Restaurant on Malecon near the paseo to the Zocalo.

It's what to drink with dinner.

For smoking after dinner.

For listening while eating, drinking or smoking.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #108
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 802
Nice fotos. Like the patina on the xylophone.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #109
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,916
Drums, xylophone aka marimba, bagpipes, and the accordion are what happens when Russian motorcycle engineers develop musical instruments.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:25 PM   #110
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

Russian Engineering

Shame on you Michael. In high school one of my buddies had a 2CV (deau chevaut) that we eventually hung up on a log in the woods and just left it there. When the woods were bulldozed for now houses I can only imagine the look on the equipment operator's face. We used to say that that car was hand built in the dark by drunk Russians. They are currently the only ones who have a lift vehicle that can service the ISS. I love bagpipes, accordions, concertinas, marimbas and ouds.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #111
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas to Tangolunda, Oaxaca

I banged out 358 miles today with my bum knee. You cynics and skeptics can say what you will but the curandero and massage therapist I saw last night put me well on the way to full recovery, way more efficaciously that the best allopathic practices. Each has its values. The big difference is that traditional practitioners recognize the value of allopathic modalities and feel no threat. The allopaths are terrified of the holistic practitioners. But I digress.

The ride down from San Cristobal is a lot of fun. There are a couple of boring stretches but you can make really good time through them on the two lane autopistas. This is where a big GS really shines, even loaded down like my poor pig. I get a real kick out of how the toll takers and gasolineros are very curious about where I am from, where I am going and where I have been. For some strange reason they seem to like us down here and are curious about us. The young soldiers are a bit more standoffish but you can see them ogling the bike when their NCO or OIC are not looking.

Warning: There is not one damn hotel between where the 185D Cuota meets the Mex 200 west of Salina Cruz. Get to that intersection and enjoy the hell out of that road before darkness falls. The first hotel you will see is a series of really expensive ones up off the road until you get to two reasonable ones... 600 pesos/night. I picked the Hotel Plaza Tangolunda and am very happy with the choice. A spacious room with king bed that I would not mind sharing with Salma or some other needful lady! Snake and all!

Tomorrow I head up to Zipolite and Thursday to Oaxaca and then on to Jimmex' suggested route through the Sierra to Zihuatanejo. It is great to be back on the bike!

Mexican TV ain't all that bad. especially when you mute the volume and make up your own dialogue in esperanto or Klingon.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #112
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

Fotos

Mojarra (lake perch) al mojo de ajo. Lake Catemaco, Vercruz

Side of building on lakefront. Catemaco

Parakeet? Budgie? I don' t know what you call these "tweetie birds" Sure were pretty though.

The Artist

The Result

The song was written about Veracruz life.

The Poet Ibrahim, San Cristobal de Las Casas

Magic Hour, Real Guadalupe Pedestrian Street, San Cristobal de Las Casas
Old 03-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #113
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

On the road again! Good to hear that knee is on the mend. Let the good times roll, brujo!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 AM   #114
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

Zipolite, Oaxaca, Mexico

I am in Zipolite in a nice house on a cliff that overlooks the ocean with a 270 or better degree view. I rode all of 52 miles today. I had planned to head up to Oaxaca and then on to Zihua. Forces much smaller and numerous than I have forced me to change my plans. As I write this the minions of Montezuma are locked in intense combat with my natural fauna. The raging battle will keep me horizontal for much of tomorrow and close to the big white telephone for urgent communiques from the battle front.

I am going to have to skip Oaxaca and the great route Jimmex suggested through the Sierra and grin and bear the slog up the 200. Since my GPS crashed last week I have had to make my way with the highly flawed Guia Roji. It makes a day's trip a bit longer as I have to stop frequently for clarification. Not only do you need to know your final destination but it is helpful to know the towns on the route between because that is often where the signs direct you.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #115
jrzyguy
Restless

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
I am in Zipolite in a nice house on a cliff that overlooks the ocean with a 270 or better degree view. I rode all of 52 miles today. I had planned to head up to Oaxaca and then on to Zihua. Forces much smaller and numerous than I have forced me to change my plans. As I write this the minions of Montezuma are locked in intense combat with my natural fauna. The raging battle will keep me horizontal for much of tomorrow and close to the big white telephone for urgent communiques from the battle front.

I am going to have to skip Oaxaca and the great route Jimmex suggested through the Sierra and grin and bear the slog up the 200. Since my GPS crashed last week I have had to make my way with the highly flawed Guia Roji. It makes a day's trip a bit longer as I have to stop frequently for clarification. Not only do you need to know your final destination but it is helpful to know the towns on the route between because that is often where the signs direct you.
I really like the description of your physical condition...but Zipolite isn't too bad a spot to hang out and recover.

Is this your friend? He gets around!
jrzyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #116
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Hope the recovery and the lawyerly stuff goes well David!
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #117
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

Photo of Ibrahim

Where did you take that picture Jim? Mine are from San Cristobal.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #118
jrzyguy
Restless

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Where did you take that picture Jim? Mine are from San Cristobal.
Just kidding about your friend getting around...my pic was taken in San Cristobal too!
jrzyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #119
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

26 March 2013, Zihuatanejo, Guerrero, Mexico

I have spent the day with my knee up applying ice packs and arnica gel. My range of motion has improved but the damn thing aches most of the time like a bad tooth ache. Alleve seems to help and staying off of it seems to help. It is a good thing that I had booked this week long stay with my daughter and her boyfriend. My knee needs the rest. That is hard to do because I want to be out enjoying the beach and the town and the life here. The casitas where we are staying, Casa de las Piedras is an incredible location that had been lovingly built over nearly forty years by its owner, artist Grace Relfe. She raised two sons in this remarkable place. For me, the challenge is that the place is built on a steep hillside with difficult to negotiate stone stairs and pathways. I manage with some help from some trekking poles and patient kids.

I have given some thought now to the whole idea of traveling solo on a motorcycle in a foreign country. It all works well if nothing goes wrong. A physical injury to the left leg is a bit of a problem on a motorcycle. We use that leg a lot. I am fortunate that the injury was not worse for I could have been in considerable difficulty if it had been. I have been fortunate to have found a series of healers, massage therapists and caring individuals who have taken steps to help me towards recovery. There are many miracles in Mexico, I am not in a hurry, and the food is damn good. The only issue really is that the pain in the leg diminishes the quality of the overall experience. I learn something new every day. That was what the adventure was about in the first place.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #120
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
There are many miracles in Mexico, I am not in a hurry, and the food is damn good. The only issue really is that the pain in the leg diminishes the quality of the overall experience. I learn something new every day. That was what the adventure was about in the first place.
Those are 4 true sentences for one honest man.
(Trying my Neil Armstrong mojo on ya!)