User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Retics OP
n00b

Oddometer: 74
Hey Guys,,,,,

Hi I am new to the forum and wanted to say hi, I am from Canada Eh lol.

I havent done any crazy long touring yet as I have just commuted city to city and some small back country roads, between Fort McMurray and south of Calgary, more day runs and such of that sort.

I have the wrong bike for the type of tours I want to do and have come here to read the stories, get tips and info on some of the adventure riders out there.
I haven't been able to find a suitable BMW 1150 GSA here in my area, not many people seem to have them, or at least don't want to give them up.
I have read some of the posts on importing from the states and information provided seems quite helpful. We will soon see what I can find for spring riding season. Cheers to you all and happy travels. Play safe.

I will post a few of my oddball pictures of my last mud run when I get a chance too.
Retics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,879
Welcome! I lived in Saskatoon for a number of years and got to know some great ADVers in the Edmonton area. There is a rather active thread up in the 'Canada' regional for Albertan hijinks.

Just don't let curbjumper pick you up from your hotel. He does not bring a car.

Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
Retics OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Welcome! I lived in Saskatoon for a number of years and got to know some great ADVers in the Edmonton area. There is a rather active thread up in the 'Canada' regional for Albertan hijinks.

Just don't let curbjumper pick you up from your hotel. He does not bring a car.

Hey thanks, Haha, just found the Canada section.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!

Oddometer: 1,741
Ai mon!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,282
Welcome aboard!

I love Canada. This is me, in the middle, with my brother and a friend, on the Dempster, enroute to Inuvik.

Tom in Salem
Old 12-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Retics OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefrider View Post
Welcome aboard!

I love Canada. This is me, in the middle, with my brother and a friend, on the Dempster, enroute to Inuvik.

Tom in Salem
Thats an awesome picture, I grew up on the Alaska hwy for the better part of my childhood . My parents and grand parents owned Coal River Lodge at mile 533 from 1969 to 1998.

I have never made it much farther then Whitehorse after all my years up in that country.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,430
Youse guys talk funny.......

Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefrider View Post
Welcome aboard!

Tom in Salem

Chiefrider,

Great pic.

I cannot believe that you got to ride to the Arctic Circle w/ Red Green!!!

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
R1150 GSAs are rarer than hens teeth in this area of Canada.
I stumbled upon one 2 years ago with 10,000km on it in Nova Scotia. I assume it is because we had no dealer here at that time but to my knowledge it is the only one in Newfoundland.
Good luck with your search. They do exist.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retics View Post

I havent done any crazy long touring yet as I have just commuted city to city and some small back country roads, between Fort McMurray and south of Calgary, more day runs and such of that sort.

I have the wrong bike for the type of tours I want to do and have come here to read the stories, get tips and info on some of the adventure riders out there.
I haven't been able to find a suitable BMW 1150 GSA here in my area, not many people seem to have them, or at least don't want to give them up.
I have read some of the posts on importing from the states and information provided seems quite helpful. We will soon see what I can find for spring riding season. Cheers to you all and happy travels. Play safe.

I will post a few of my oddball pictures of my last mud run when I get a chance too.
You don't need an 1150 GSA to tour on. Lots of other bikes will comfortably and capably take you wherever you want to tour.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,492
So, what ya riding now, eh?
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #12
chiefrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
Chiefrider,

Great pic.

I cannot believe that you got to ride to the Arctic Circle w/ Red Green!!!

Tom in Salem
Old 12-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #13
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retics View Post

ADV touring is sometimes more of a mental activity. You can do it on anything if you're ambitious enough. Obviously, something lighter will be easier in real loose stuff. Determination is a much bigger factor than the bike. KLR 650's are cheap, reasonably light and easy to ride. They have big fuel tanks (important if you're way up north), but If you have your heart set on a GS1150, then you won't be happy unless you find one, even if it may not be the best bike for you. There might even be one or two in the Canadian Flea market section right now.
What are you riding now?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:34 AM   #14
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy slaw View Post
youse guys talk funny.......

eh?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
chiefrider

crazy long touring

Kommando and McJamie are right. Don't fixate on brand. My trips north I saw mostly BMW GS singles and twins, Suzuki V-Stroms (mostly 650) and the celebrated and maligned Kawasaki KLR 650s.

The Beemers do work well, though.

I really enjoy my long-on-the-tooth 1993 GSPD. Power for headwinds and two up. Great support by aftermarket. Maintenance is easy. Great fuel range. People ask if you're Greg Frazier.

Tom in Salem