User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
Retics OP
n00b

Oddometer: 74
Cool2

Well I found a 2005 GS Adventure. Somebody had replied to my wanted ad on kijij. It has 21000 km black and yellow minor scuffs on the crash bars on one side from a fall over but everything else is good. $8000 . I should have home by the end of the month. Anything else that should be done for servicing at 21k? I was over the whole bike and ran through the gears . Everything looks pretty smooth so far.
Retics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 766
Thumb Congrats.

Glad you found what you were looking for.

Sounds like a deal.

Now for some touring!

Be sure to post up in the Ride Reports section, eh?

See ya out there, hoser.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #18
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
I know a few folks that you might be keen to meet.

Also, there is a Travellers Rally in Nelson, BC. There are guest speakers that will give little talks on different countries, some of the sponsors put on seminars on how to change tires on the road and other mechanical tips, sometimes GPS course and the organizer, Wolfgang, usually has a bratwurst and Warsteiner bbq arranged for one of the nights.

You should check it out. It's a great time, great location and you'll meet a ton of great people.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #19
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 766
Oh yeah, in answer to your question, a full fluids change is always a good idea.

The brake fluid is important to change.

I understand that if it doesn't get done, it can lead to corrosion in the ABS unit,

which is retarded expensive to replace.

(I've been quoted $3,000 to $4000 for a new unit installed on my '03 K1200GT; I hope it never fails!!)

Maintain her well; it's cheaper than the alternative.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #20
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retics View Post
Well I found a 2005 GS Adventure. Somebody had replied to my wanted ad on kijij. It has 21000 km black and yellow minor scuffs on the crash bars on one side from a fall over but everything else is good. $8000 . I should have home by the end of the month. Anything else that should be done for servicing at 21k? I was over the whole bike and ran through the gears . Everything looks pretty smooth so far.
I hope that is not one of the ones with final drive problems. As for ABS failing, par for the course. I'll stick to non ABS bikes. I like the KLR650, and the DR650, with a larger tank. Centerstands are available for both. I believe the R--GS comes stock with a centerstand, and most of them have tubeless tires.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #21
Retics OP
n00b

Oddometer: 74
This is a non ABS model. So far so good , valves all checked new rear break pads and oil changes done. I have to pick up the underside panel under the tank as the tabs broke off .

Looking at a different set of crash bars , the stock stainless are half ground down on one side from a low side from previous owner . I had seen a nice stainless set that wrap around the heads but to find out they do not fit the dual spark model. Hepco & Becker look pretty decent in silver.

I have a pair of Trail Wings that came with the bike, so far I am debating if I want to get another set of knobby tires .

A Touratech tank sliders, turn signal lens and she will be back to new.
http://instagram.com/p/WGGRSrISyj/

http://instagram.com/p/V8AK_jIS3e/

http://instagram.com/p/Vl1JqYIS0h/
Retics is offline   Reply With Quote