ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Maxbmwm3 OP
Adventurer
 
Maxbmwm3's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: W. Spfld, MA
Oddometer: 41
HP2 Sport

So I am thinking of pulling the trigger on an 08/09 HP2 Sport. I currently have an 08 GSA and just started riding September of this year. I am just trying to get some feedback on the Sport. There is not a lot of reviews on the bike, so I am seeking comments and feedback. I'm not looking to become a stat on the HP2 Sport, but I have fallen in love with riding and am looking for other experiences: track days etc..
Maxbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
funhouse
Overdue
 
funhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Santa Barbara
Oddometer: 3,044
Who's in charge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxbmwm3
So I am thinking of pulling the trigger on an 08/09 HP2 Sport. I currently have an 08 GSA and just started riding September of this year. I am just trying to get some feedback on the Sport. There is not a lot of reviews on the bike, so I am seeking comments and feedback. I'm not looking to become a stat on the HP2 Sport, but I have fallen in love with riding and am looking for other experiences: track days etc..
Get your 25,000 miles of riding experience before starting to 'bike-hop' thru a series of different machines.......track days are a sure way to acquire the experience in a compressed format but you'd be far better off buying a 600cc Honda track bike than trying to figure out the track-weirdness of a shaft-drive twin.......pitch the HP2 up the track just once and you can pay for an entire season of racing a real race bike......Bruce
__________________
A life spent inside a camera: Auto/Motorcycle factories/museums/travels/trains/planes/bikes/cars

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,300
With all due respect, I would concur with the above post. You're a very new rider and really need a lot of miles under you before you attempt to ride a high powered sports bike of any kind.

I would also strongly encourage you to take a lot of advanced riding courses and track courses and track time before you spend the big bucks on such an expensive and powerful machine. The GSA is a hoot on the track.

Moved to Road Warriors.
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
Maxbmwm3 OP
Adventurer
 
Maxbmwm3's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: W. Spfld, MA
Oddometer: 41
Thank you

Bruce,

Thank you that is the kind of feedback I am looking for. Since I have not been riding that long and have been reading the posts here I know there are a lot more people with better wisdom then my own.
Maxbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!
 
Mr. Magoo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 4,949
Get a beater small displacement (250/500 cc) sport bike for the track, take schools, and learn to ride a slow bike fast or else end up riding a fast bike slow.

Have a great time learning and playing!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
Maxbmwm3 OP
Adventurer
 
Maxbmwm3's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: W. Spfld, MA
Oddometer: 41
On the track

Based on your response, it is certainly appropriate to take advanced courses/track with the GSA? I'm starting to like that idea.
Maxbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
NakedRider
NakedRider
 
NakedRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Antelope, CA
Oddometer: 664
I agree with all the commentary above and I own a Sport
__________________
'09 BMW R1200R
NakedRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
sideshow
debaser
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Waukesha (the only one)
Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxbmwm3
Based on your response, it is certainly appropriate to take advanced courses/track with the GSA? I'm starting to like that idea.
It's good to take courses on riding, whether it be MSF or a track day. Taking a GS to a track could end up being a very expensive day, however. Seriously consider picking up a track bike. None finer right now than a SV650, really. Can be had for under $3K in good shape. If you get over your head and trash it, you can fix it cheap or make a good portion back on parts. The GS can tack up $3K worth of damage and then you don't have a bike to ride until its fixed or you pay the dough for a new one. Best of luck.
sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #9
BCC
I know better
 
BCC's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Southern NJ
Oddometer: 7,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow
It's good to take courses on riding, whether it be MSF or a track day. Taking a GS to a track could end up being a very expensive day, however. Seriously consider picking up a track bike. None finer right now than a SV650, really. Can be had for under $3K in good shape. If you get over your head and trash it, you can fix it cheap or make a good portion back on parts. The GS can tack up $3K worth of damage and then you don't have a bike to ride until its fixed or you pay the dough for a new one. Best of luck.
+1

People do take the pigs out on the track, but it's much more fun and your learning curve will be much faster with a older sv650 or 600 I-4. Plus it doesn't matter much if you throw a beater down the track. Do enough track days and sooner or later you will.

Guarantee you'll be a better rider than 90% of street riders after 6 or 7 track days. Then get the hp2 Sport. One of the coolest bikes ever.
__________________
Living the fullest life means leaving a history of goodness behind you for others to remember.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
Josephvman
I'm the Decider
 
Josephvman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Oddometer: 3,429
If you've done all the MSF classes and been doing a ton of riding since you started, I wouldn't be afraid of an HP2 Sport. When you get right down to it, it's a fast BMW, but it's not a death machine to be afraid of. I wouldn't recommend taking it to the track straight away (and second the SV650 idea) but unless you're incapable of self-control, I say go for it. You can just as easily hurt yourself on a big GS as an HP2 sport.

I love that bike, and it will probably be my next BMW. I think I'll wait to see what they sell for on the used market, as I just don't think they're worth the nearly $30k new price, and can't see them holding great resale value. Once nice used bikes are well under $20k I'll start looking.
__________________
'11 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport "Stormtrooper II"
'09 BMW HP2 Sport
'98 Ducati 900SS Final Edition "The old whore"
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
sfarson
On a Ride
 
sfarson's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: Rockies
Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Maniaci
...
I love that bike, and it will probably be my next BMW. I think I'll wait to see what they sell for on the used market, as I just don't think they're worth the nearly $30k new price, and can't see them holding great resale value. Once nice used bikes are well under $20k I'll start looking.
May be awhile. There aren't many (Far fewer than the HP2 Enduro which is holding its price well now), and once they settle into the hands of those intending on keeping them, very few will appear for resale. When they do, it will be at a fine price. This pattern has played itself out with other, even less "limited" bikes before.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer
 
fixinbones's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: New York
Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson
May be awhile. There aren't many (Far fewer than the HP2 Enduro which is holding its price well now), and once they settle into the hands of those intending on keeping them, very few will appear for resale. When they do, it will be at a fine price. This pattern has played itself out with other, even less "limited" bikes before.
1+, and I hope it pans out this way for my megamoto

Quote:
If you've done all the MSF classes and been doing a ton of riding since you started, I wouldn't be afraid of an HP2 Sport. When you get right down to it, it's a fast BMW, but it's not a death machine to be afraid of. I wouldn't recommend taking it to the track straight away (and second the SV650 idea) but unless you're incapable of self-control, I say go for it. You can just as easily hurt yourself on a big GS as an HP2 sport.
I think you could go either way. The remarks of the above poster also make sense. Sure a cheap track bike is a great idea so as not to worry if you lay it down. However, we are talking about a 130hp boxer not a 180hp jap bike. I think with some time in the saddle you could really enjoy the sport and then eventually take it to the track and have alot of fun. just my .02
__________________
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:10 AM   #13
Warthog
TeutonicChronic
 
Warthog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: The ROK
Oddometer: 842
just my 2 cents

You have only been riding since September 2008...

Horsepower and weight are two things that work against you, increasing risk and actually slowing your learning curve.

Skills are learned quicker (and with fewer crashes) on lighter, less powerful bikes. I know those smaller bikes aren't as cool...but they can be just as fun or more fun...and less risk of an expensive crash.

Also, if you take some time to ride different types of bikes....like a Ninja 250 or 400, an FZR600, a 250 dirt bike, a Kawasaki KLR, etc, etc...you may find yourself gravitating to another type of bike and a different style of riding.
__________________
Warthog


2006 HP2
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:56 AM   #14
Graemsay
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Oddometer: 454
The problem with the HP2 Sport is that the bodywork is very expensive, as it's all carbon fibre. I recall hearing that the belly pan was over 1,000 pounds, so you wouldn't want to drop one at a track day...

Have you considered the R1200S? It was the basis for the HP2 sport, but loses the trick parts, has a slightly less powerful engine, and costs significantly less. In terms of performance, I believe that it's on a par with a Jap I-4 600.

Just to throw in another alternative, the Triumph Daytona 675 seems to be highly regarded. I don't know if it's available in the US, but over here it competes with the Jap 600s.
Graemsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #15
Maxbmwm3 OP
Adventurer
 
Maxbmwm3's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: W. Spfld, MA
Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
1+, and I hope it pans out this way for my megamoto



I think you could go either way. The remarks of the above poster also make sense. Sure a cheap track bike is a great idea so as not to worry if you lay it down. However, we are talking about a 130hp boxer not a 180hp jap bike. I think with some time in the saddle you could really enjoy the sport and then eventually take it to the track and have alot of fun. just my .02
All, I certainly appreciate the responses. Seems like there are a couple of camps out there. A little more background. I have been to automobile track days and driving schools (Skip Barber), multiple times, believe me I certainly know the perils of track days. I like the post of realizing my limits based on experience and learning. I have had high powered BMW autos for years and have driven them on and off track without incident. But one thing I have learned is that an MC is way different. Still on the fence.
Maxbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014