Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Oddometer: 15,894
Tussock Hootenanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Excellent pics and commentary Alex
Pics from Johnny & me: http://oscar.smugmug.com/Motorcycles...8257&k=VLLhWBF

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #63
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Great pics, Oscar. I might as well give up now :-). Will you do a write-up for the mag?
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #64
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Great pics, Oscar. I might as well give up now :-). Will you do a write-up for the mag?

Yeah, I have to review the Husky as well.

Ps. Mike stepped off the g/s on the way home. I need a throttle tube/heated thingo & grip, Rh cylinder head & Rhodes bag....

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Old 01-08-2013, 04:17 PM   #65
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Yeah, I have to review the Husky as well.

Ps. Mike stepped off the g/s on the way home. I need a throttle tube/heated thingo & grip, Rh cylinder head & Rhodes bag....
Hope Mike does not need anything.

I am guessing you need the valve cover and not the whole head? I have a spare one that's a bit rough, but doesn't leak, you can have that if you want. If you are desperate, I also have a good one, that you could use until you can find a replacement. Can't help you with the throttle assembly.

I liked the Husky, it handled the BP parking lot really well . I would have liked to try it on the tracks. It would make a good commuting bike for me and I could use it for part time adventure duties. Old Basil is pretty porky. Although, just like McCardigan, he carries his weight low.

The only drawback of the Husky seems to be its weight. But if it can handle what we did on that ride, it's probably all I'll ever need.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #66
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
I have a stock throttle assembly sitting in my box of parts from schmidt if you want to borrow till a new one comes in. Mind you you're prob only down to 8 bikes in the shed now you could ride
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #67
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

I was going to adjust the valves on Basil and do an oil change, but I just can't get myself motivated.

Kokopelli screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 07:05 PM
Old 01-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #68
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Hope Mike does not need anything.

I am guessing you need the valve cover and not the whole head? I have a spare one that's a bit rough, but doesn't leak, you can have that if you want. If you are desperate, I also have a good one, that you could use until you can find a replacement. Can't help you with the throttle assembly.

I liked the Husky, it handled the BP parking lot really well . I would have liked to try it on the tracks. It would make a good commuting bike for me and I could use it for part time adventure duties. Old Basil is pretty porky. Although, just like McCardigan, he carries his weight low.

The only drawback of the Husky seems to be its weight. But if it can handle what we did on that ride, it's probably all I'll ever need.
Mike needs to stop being guilty about it
I said I knew that if we took it, there was always a chance of some fool binning it - and I was right

You're right, it's the valve cover and the throttle barrel/grip (which is heated), but all that stuff seems to be available.

Mike said the Husky was very good off road, which surprised him as he got the early impression that it was a bit of a road bike.

Clive James
Old 01-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #69
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
I have a stock throttle assembly sitting in my box of parts from schmidt if you want to borrow till a new one comes in. Mind you you're prob only down to 8 bikes in the shed now you could ride
Don't exaggerate - it's seven (counting the Husky, and the Dnepr's on loan at the minute)...

Clive James
Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #70
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,974
Koko passed through here (Wellington) this afternoon on his way to the Dusty Butt. Rained on to Hunterville. Sloppy thru Turakina Valley Rd..

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #71
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,338
You suck koko
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #72
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,974
Quote:
You suck koko
What happened to you Padmei? I thought you were supposed to be at the DB as well?

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #73
ztaj
jatz

Oddometer: 820
Quote:

Golf clubs ? When would you find time to use them ?
ztaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #74
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztaj View Post
Golf clubs ? When would you find time to use them ?
Coz I got my flunky (there in the pic) doing all the werk

Clive James
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #75
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
You suck koko
Do you actually exist in real life, or just on the internet. I was so looking forward to meeting you. At least I know Woodman is real, he was bleeding, that's all the proof I needed.

Basil is fine, I have no idea were all that water in the tool tray came from, it hasn't even rained during the last three days. He did kill another bird yesterday. I must keep an eye on that. He sucks at river crossings, such a primadonna, it's embarrassing.

I've forgotten how often I had those carb bowls off. I must get that clutch fixed. It's impossibly hard to pull in. It's either on or off, no control possible. Surely that would explain some of my troubles. Going through at speed and then hitting a stone, could have been the other problem.

Another thing I've learned is, that if you drop the bowls, make sure that you don't knock off the carb balance hose. You bike will run like shit and not want to drop the revs. While that's not so bad going up the Carrick Town track, it's a pita on the way down. Thank god I had those new calipers. I would not have been able to slow the bike and the engine at the same time.

The ride was stunning. I have seen scenery I will never forget. Had a bit of time looking around the Dunstan road tussok hills, while reattaching the left carb. Basil was day dreaming and tried to run up a bank. Couldn't balance while trying to pull him off and he went down. He is a porky bugger, especially with a full tank. Beats standing by the side of the road though, while begging for fuel

I'll post a few pics once they are uploaded. It's painful to look at pictures on that other forum, that a lot of you like and I not so much.

So Padmei, you clearly missed an opportunity to watch me suffer and to test Basil's new suspenders. They are the bees knees, for sure. Several times I thought, this hole is going to do me in, but they did not even bottom out. The main stand did slam into the ground a couple of times, but that's more to do with the bumps than the suspension travel.

Thanks to Olli for navigating for me. He was my riding partner from Germany and he navigated seamlessly, assisted by Touratech navigation equipment. And he knows how to cross rivers. The price I had to pay for this service was a slightly slower pace and I had to eat a lot of dust. Mind you, had I had to navigate myself, even twice the speed would not have saved me.

Thanks to the kind people who got their boots wet while giving Basil as push. That the sort of selfless attitude that makes advriders special. No hesitation what so ever.

I witnessed some amazing riding skills. There is still a lot to learn. The women I saw were amazing..........and excellent riders not sure if I could have kept up. The couple who rode two up on that dirt bike, unbelievable. The guy with the yellow R1200GSA, I wish I could ride like that. One guy went up a silly steep rock face with his 950 super enduro.

All that, and I didn't even do one challenge section. Thanks, Aslan, for pointing me in the right direction. It was hard enough at times, just doing the normal ride. Apparently, we did manage a moving average of about 55km/h. That's probably acceptable.