User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Racing Lawnmower?

Hi all. So don't know if theres ever been a thread for it or not. But I have an old Cub Cadet lawn tractor that me and my buddy are gonna make a racing mower out of it. It's a good canidate, has an 18 HP Briggs Horizontal Twin Boxer Engine. Tranny+ Motor and everything work, only thing needs is battery which we has a new one, but ran well last time I used it. Got it for $75 a couple years ago at a garage sale. My friend's sort of done it or helped someone do it I think. I think he has an idea of what to do with the tranny.

The plan is to make it'll go somewhere between 35 and 50 MPH. Not modify the motor much [nothing like cams or hi compression pistons or anything], so it's still reliable. Will not need to be cutting grass no more with it. So we want to make it go that speeds, and paint it and paint a confederate flag on the hood, and do stacks, possibly lower it if needed.

It's got a 7-Speed transmission. Will update as progress. So any pointers?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #2
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,192
Wear a helmet
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
Wear a helmet
And record it and post here.....

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,626
hold my beer and watch this?
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
http://www.letsmow.com/

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
Zoul
No Comment

Oddometer: 1,045
Like this?

I know, it's a tractor pull...
Zoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
I know someone who was a national champ in some kind of unlimited class of lawnmower racing a few years ago. He was very into it, balancing his own cranks and building some pretty severe engines (I believe in excess of 40 hp). Hist tractor went MUCH faster than you are talking about. He finally quit after he came off of it and busted himself up pretty badly.

There are definitely hazards. Dress accordingly.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,673
I did one about 40 years ago not to compete but as a couple of kids with too much time and a good shop on their hands.

Started as a snapper style rider, but made by a local company called Root manufacturing. They used a 3 speed transaxle.

We put some 16 inch split rim snow tires on the back. Then changed ratio on the pulleys. The engine was a 6 hp Tecumseh that seemed to have great high RPM potential and they used a oil pump so a little more durable. We used a bigger carb, and a straight pipe exhaust.

When the local cop followed us home to make sure our folks knew what we were up to (they did not) he said he clocked us in excess of 40 MPH. I think dad was secretly proud, so the punishment was mostly putting it back into a lawnmower.

All good times got to come to an end. Cops were nicer then, now it would probably involve jail time and Tazers.

ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

A helmet would hurt, and I'll post it here when it gets done, and will need someone to hold the beer at those speeds!

Beemer Bob thanks for the link.

Zoul nice one! Not exactly like mine though mines a little newer.

Bueller damn thats a lot of power! And yea could be a little dangerous!

ragtoplvr thats pretty cool. Yea hopefully get some speed out of it. But luckily I have my friend's farm to ride it at, so cops won't be an issue.

I know what you mean though how they is nowadays. A kid riding a mini bike up the street is a huge deal now! Its like don't they remember what its like to be young? Yea if he's riding like an idiot and whizzing up sidewalks without a helmet ok, bust him. But if hes just putting around being careful I think theres bigger crimes than that!

Anyways, we ain't started yet been to busy working. Hopefully sometime this week or next weekend we'll get it going though. Looks like it needs new pullys, a battery, and some minor front end work for starters. But the motors good, and so is the frame and tranny so we got something to work with. For $75 couldn't go wrong.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
InfoManiac
Always Learning

Oddometer: 5,889
There's a whole racing series here in this area for em.

Check your speaker volume before pressing play!

Smugmug coupon ----- 5w5TPcXpTtBdw --- Save $5.00!!

InfoManiac screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 07:22 PM
InfoManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoManiac View Post
There's a whole racing series here in this area for em.

Check your speaker volume before pressing play!

I can't get the video to load I think its deleted or has privacy settings is says.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,970
About thirty years ago I started competing in British Lawn Mower Racing Association (BLMRA) events, won the annual 12 hour (over night) race at least once and tried for the 'World Championship' at least once (no juice, though). I expect the BLMRA has a website, I moved from the U.K. over twenty years ago and don't have anything to do with it any more but I can tell you that it is a whole barrel load of fun!

Back then alcohol was a significant part of the races but I suspect that might be frowned upon now . Every year we had the annual Grand Grass Cutters Ball too, we'd all turn out in black tie and then have the biggest, bestest food fight. Every year, the food fight was a tradition. I seem to remember alcohol playing a fairly major role those evenings too...

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
About thirty years ago I started competing in British Lawn Mower Racing Association (BLMRA) events, won the annual 12 hour (over night) race at least once and tried for the 'World Championship' at least once (no juice, though). I expect the BLMRA has a website, I moved from the U.K. over twenty years ago and don't have anything to do with it any more but I can tell you that it is a whole barrel load of fun!

Back then alcohol was a significant part of the races but I suspect that might be frowned upon now . Every year we had the annual Grand Grass Cutters Ball too, we'd all turn out in black tie and then have the biggest, bestest food fight. Every year, the food fight was a tradition. I seem to remember alcohol playing a fairly major role those evenings too...

Some people can't resist taking something goofy and fun and making it all strict and boring.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: