User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Switchback12 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Famed Route 66 Trip

We are planning a 2013 route 66 adventure from Chicago to California. Can anyone suggest what month would be the best weather? Also, we would love to hear stories from other inmates who have completed this journey.
Switchback12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
You can find average and historical weather data on many sites for most of the known world.

Have you taken a peek at those resources, yet?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Switchback12 OP
n00b

We have but there is nothing like first hand accounts from local riders. Everything points to mid May & June, past the rainy season and before the real hots months in the south. Does anyone have a different opinion?
Old 12-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Yes, for the Chicago to Joplin portion of 66, May has been the traditional start of the riding season. The jet stream has pushed the cold up into Canada and the hot humid weather has not yet arrived from the Gulf.

The last two years however, have been vastly different due to the drought pattern. Winter abated in the Ozarks around Feb 17 last year. Highs in the upper 70s and lows around 45 or 50.

Just watch the location of the jet stream on any national weather and you can easily plan things out weather-wise for the next 5 to 7 days of your journey.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,724
I'm kind of old And my travels thru the years have brought me onto many portions of route 66 many times---especially out in the Southwest.

While reminiscing and reading about the old route 66 and all the neat roads, motels, cafe's, beer joints and all the other neat stuff sounds interesting and maybe a cool ride.

The truth of it is-------------there is so little left you will wear yourself out trying to find those very few things that are left----especially the neat old narrow 2 lane roads---yes there is some left -------just not much.

Some one will probably follow my post and point out the many things that are left contradicting my whole post------but it's so little in my opinion would be a very huge disappointment for you. It just ain't there anymore---------wish it was---but it's not.

You may be the rare ones to find what you do find ----------fun and interesting.

But it always just frustrated me.

I now travel way farther out in the boonies trying to find neat old stuff-------it's still hard and usually requires staying off the pavement completely.

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,661
BigDOg nailed it. The best part of Route 66 is in Arizona and even then it is pretty short of a ride on actual Route 66. I drove it in 1966 in a 1966 Chevy Impala Convertible. Can remember the road sounds from the 2 lane surface like it was yesterday. When I drive it now, I am pretty dis-appointed. But hey, you might enjoy it.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,794
I think May 15 would be a good starting date.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
I kind of agree with BigDog about the limitations of current-day route 66. I routinely hit parts of it out west and it is sometimes kind of neat, especially Oatman AZ. But it's not the 50s.

But if it is something you wanted to do, you should still go ahead and do it. You might want a backup plan in case it isn't working out. Like maybe detour thru the Ozarks or southern Utah.

I really feel sorry for the guys in Europe who plan their only trip over here and just want to do route 66.

Right now doing the whole thing might be about 50th on my list of rides I want to do. But I mostly like the kind of rides that BigDog does - off road out west.

BTW there is a section of really old route 66 between Amboy and Ludlow I believe that is pretty rough dirt and dates from the 20s. It is north of the railroad tracks whereas the old paved version is south of the track.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,243
Here is a RR from a friend that road much of 66 last year. He thoroughly enjoyed the experience as you can tell from the posts. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=845101

As to when to go, skip June July Aug as it can be blazing hot.

This past summer, I ran across a group of Germans at the Elbow Inn, Devil Elbow, MO.

They flew into Chicago and rented bikes to ride route 66. That were having a great time.

Get a good guide book and enjoy the trip.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos

ajayhawkfan screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 07:53 AM
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
Switchback12 OP
n00b

Thanks to Big Dog and everyone else for their post. Over that last week or so we have revised our plan to cross the country and ride Route 66 when it jumps out at us. We are coming from NH. We have 24 days to touch the ocean in California and make it back to NH. Worring about where Route 66 is, will only drag us down.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
I rode 66 from st Louis to tucamcari new Mexico in July and august of this year. It was hard to find all the remnants of 66, but there are some gems out there. We found an original 8 ft wide concrete section on a rough gravel base in Kansas. There is a ghost town on border of Texas and new mexico that is kinda creepy. 4 lanes and no one around, which then reverts to gravel/ sand and dust. If you are traveling that direction and are riding 44 or close to it, there are some interesting spots. Just don't ride on august. High temp was a couple of 110 f degree days in Oklahoma and Texas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
BroncoSyer
n00b

Oddometer: 9
i did route 66 from Chicago to the California border in sept 2010. i think the timing for the ride was excellent. not too hot not to cold. i would also agree with many others that there is very little left of the original road. but there is still lots to see and you can just use the old road as a general guide and explore from it as you go. it was a great trip
BroncoSyer is offline   Reply With Quote