Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,255
I saw a matte silver BV 350 today. That would be it for me. That scooter really is nice.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Hard to give up on the power, touring capability and reliability of the Silverwing, but if I was going to replace it, I think I'd probably go for a Burgman 400 for the following reasons:

1. Better ergonomics...more legroom and the seating position is very comfortable for me.
2. Good reliability
3. Ease of service, good service point access
4. Reasonable power ( not as good as the SWing, but I only tour once or twice a year. That said, I am aware that people use the B400 for that purpose all the time...)
5. Good fuel economy
6. Good storage space.
7. Availability of aftermarket racks and top boxes, like Givi

I would actually prefer the Burgman 650 because of the more powerful engine, but I simply don't trust that fancy electronic transmission...

The TMax might also be a good choice, but I think it's pretty complex to service and doesn't have as much storage.

I also would prefer a touring scooter with larger wheels, like the Piaggio BV350 or 500. I'm intrigued by the Kymco GT300i, but not sure it would tour very well or haul me around (I ain't small), storage space is minimal and there are few dealers around here.

gumshoe4 screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 09:55 PM
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #18
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Well...I just bought my first ever scooter so nothing new for awhile. But, I know it would be bigger than the Sportcity 250 if I spend lots of time on the open road or if my wife starts coming with me. The Burgman 400 seems great, but I'm not fond of the looks. I'd like to see the Kymco 500Xciting in person. Also, I think I'd want to stay under 500lbs.
GREY.HOUND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
I've been thinking of either getting a smaller scooter in the 250-400 range of keeping my Wing and getting a Zuma 50. If you were getting a scooter now what would be on your short list?
D-

I'd actually been thinking of coming down and buying your Swing. I'd also considered the SYM RV200 but decided that was too small. So, my "next" scooter (purchased just a few days ago) is the Burgman 400. I think it will be the perfect scoot for the riding I do - about 80% in town and 20% highway.

I've put about 100 miles on it so far and, as I remembered, the 400 is slower than the Silverwing (and my Aprilia 250 Sport City) and the big single cylinder makes for a lot of vibration and noise. Still, everything is a compromise and I'm hoping to get used to these very minor issues and enjoy all the great features of the 400 - lighter, great storage, fuel economy and very, very solid ride.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #20
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by go.duesouth View Post
I have a Kymco Downtown 300i. Awesomeness almost all the way around. Average of 70 MPG, 77 if I'm easy on it. Light weight, great all around bike. The seat/legroom being the big downside. Had the BMW c600 been out when I jumped to scoots a year and a half ago, that most likely would be gracing my garage now. Although... you can get 2 Downtowns for the price of one BMW, so I'd have to drive one first.
I was seriously excited when the Downtown first came out until I sat on one. It didn't fit my six four 1/2 and 34 inch inseam at all. The SYM Citycom fit me perfectly and is very comfy if not quite as fast as what you have. Still it's more than sufficient although most scooter types I talk to wouldn't even consider the Citycom because it's only 263.

Methinks they are missing the point and joy of a midsize scoot.

I am impressed though with the BMW650 GT and it also fits me very well.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #21
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
Did'ga do it????

I'm close to pullin the trigger on a SYM City300. Now you just gave me something else to look at. Can you clue me in on $$$. What made you go with the BV? What dealership? Did you consider SYM/Kymco or anything else.
One of the guys at the shop where I deal had a SYM Citycom like mine and he had the hots for a BV350 which they also sold. I told him I wouldn't trade the comfort, utility, weather protection, lighting and reliability of my Citycom for a pretty face and a few more top end ponies that I would never use.

Now as a BV owner he says he sees my point and he is missing his Citycom. It just depends what you need.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:04 PM   #22
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
Hard to give up on the power, touring capability and reliability of the Silverwing, but if I was going to replace it, I think I'd probably go for a Burgman 400 for the following reasons:

1. Better ergonomics...more legroom and the seating position is very comfortable for me.
2. Good reliability
3. Ease of service, good service point access
4. Reasonable power ( not as good as the SWing, but I only tour once or twice a year. That said, I am aware that people use the B400 for that purpose all the time...)
5. Good fuel economy
6. Good storage space.
7. Availability of aftermarket racks and top boxes, like Givi

I would actually prefer the Burgman 650 because of the more powerful engine, but I simply don't trust that fancy electronic transmission...

The TMax might also be a good choice, but I think it's pretty complex to service and doesn't have as much storage.

I also would prefer a touring scooter with larger wheels, like the Piaggio BV350 or 500. I'm intrigued by the Kymco GT300i, but not sure it would tour very well or haul me around (I ain't small), storage space is minimal and there are few dealers around here.
I agree that in terms of a functional machine; it's hard to beat the B400, especially now that they have ABS. In a perfect world I could keep my much loved Citycom and have the B400 for touring as well. But then I would have to give up my V-Strom 1000 and that's the rub.

Still, when I buy another scooter, the B400 ABS will be the one. It fit's my outsize self perfectly and I agree; in terms of drivetrain simple is good. A B400 can make it to 100,000 miles if it's cared for and not flogged and I have never heard of the fancy smancy complicated 650 making it that far.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #23
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,901
I have a Burgman 400. Been looking for a used smaller scoot,125/150. Not many used scooters around here.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #24
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
D-

I'd actually been thinking of coming down and buying your Swing. I'd also considered the SYM RV200 but decided that was too small. So, my "next" scooter (purchased just a few days ago) is the Burgman 400. I think it will be the perfect scoot for the riding I do - about 80% in town and 20% highway.

I've put about 100 miles on it so far and, as I remembered, the 400 is slower than the Silverwing (and my Aprilia 250 Sport City) and the big single cylinder makes for a lot of vibration and noise. Still, everything is a compromise and I'm hoping to get used to these very minor issues and enjoy all the great features of the 400 - lighter, great storage, fuel economy and very, very solid ride.

So how much are you asking for your Burgman? j/k.

Also, I've got 1 more post than you.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #25
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,704
Give him a couple of weeks...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #26
Ghog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Ruckus
Ghog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:10 PM   #27
hacksaw55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I'm happy with my Morphous, just want something a little bigger for longer trips. Burg 400 seems to be the bike of choice. I.m 6'7" and for some reason seems to fit better than the 650. If I had the know how I'd do the 400 engine swap to the Morp.
hacksaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #28
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,702
Definitely something freeway legal. I've had 7 scooters so far, still own 3 of them, and not a single one has been freeway legal. It will not be a maxi, probably a 250. I've decided I like small scooters, and anything much bigger I would prefer a motorcycle.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #29
lcseds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Can't decide between a Honda NC700x DCT (maxiscooter?), or the new BMW 600GT. Had a couple of Silverwing's in the past and have a Honda NT700 now. I have to decide on a regular bike and a smaller scoot for around town, or go scooter only (700x or BMW). Need to make up my mind, these things are not cheap. I admittedly still have a bit of mental insecurities with a scooter vs a "real" bike. But I don't know why. I'm 52, married, not trying to impress and do not ride with any groups. I ought to only think of myself right? But it's still an issue for me.
lcseds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #30
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcseds View Post
Can't decide between a Honda NC700x DCT (maxiscooter?), or the new BMW 600GT. Had a couple of Silverwing's in the past and have a Honda NT700 now. I have to decide on a regular bike and a smaller scoot for around town, or go scooter only (700x or BMW). Need to make up my mind, these things are not cheap. I admittedly still have a bit of mental insecurities with a scooter vs a "real" bike. But I don't know why. I'm 52, married, not trying to impress and do not ride with any groups. I ought to only think of myself right? But it's still an issue for me.
Wow, I could have written this myself. (except for the fact that I am not an old ass like you are. I am only 41.)

Love your choices in bikes and scooters.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote