ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #16
lenny6753 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Would using a hair dryer to push warm air into the empty tank make it shrink? I thought about hooking up a hair dryer so that it blows warm air into the tank in the hope that it would shrink the tank. That would dry the air as well as warm it. My only concern is there are still gasoline fumes inside the tank and that might set it off and how long it may take to shrink.
lenny6753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny6753 View Post
My only concern is there are still gasoline fumes inside the tank and that might set it off ....
+9

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #18
lenny6753 OP
Adventurer

I know, the hair dryer idea was probably dumb, but I am at wits end. Someone suggested the moisture absorbing packets(cilica packs?). Any idea how long that takes?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Hmmm
I have had my 2004 adventure tanks off at least two dozen times, maybe more over the past six years. 3 times this year Sometimes 4 or five times a day when I was tuning with the FCR carbs

never once had a problem fitting the tanks

I just take them off and stand them against a wall
pick them up and put them back on
a few times I had to slide the lower speed nuts aroud a bit
in temps between 100F and 20F
Old 12-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #20
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
How long were they off before remounting?

The problem seems to develop only when the tank is off for an extended period of time.

Now that I leave them off for no more that a day, I don't have trouble either.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I know, the hair dryer idea was probably dumb, but I am at wits end. Someone suggested the moisture absorbing packets(cilica packs?). Any idea how long that takes?
the speed nuts can get stuck in place. they need to float
try to pry the spring tabs very slightly loose
be sure the rear speed nut is not hooked around the front of the frame tab or something
try setting the tank on and loosly screw in the top screw, then take a very skinny long screwdriver thru the tank mount holes and see where it penetrates the frame front and rear . You can fish the speed nuts around with the screwdriver until they line up

are you absolutly sure the wiring or a hose is not in the way ?

I know it is not much help but I have never had a problem(knock on wood) so this is mystifying to me when I see these posts

I have had to fish around with the speed nuts a few times but no big deal

see the long slotted hole at the rear mount ?
if the speed nut turns with the bolt it could get hooked around the front of the long slotted tab mount
or a burr can form in the frame tab and get the speed nut hung

Dustodust screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 12:48 PM
Dustodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #22
lenny6753 OP
Adventurer

I have tried using a jack to push up on the bottom of the tank and I can almost get it high enough but the problem is that I cannot get it to move back towards the rear of the bike and the only way I was able to do that was to take out the back bolt. Bottom line is it won't fit.

This is dumb. Brand new resprung and revalved front forks from Superplush and cannot even try them out because the P.O.S. tanks won't go back on. If/when I get the tanks back on it may be gone.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #23
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
How long were they off before remounting?

The problem seems to develop only when the tank is off for an extended period of time.

Now that I leave them off for no more that a day, I don't have trouble either.
I had the tanks off leaned against the wall in 90 F for about two weeks when I changed out the motor two years ago. Never bother to empty the gas

they were off for about a week when I build the carbon fiber cold air intake filter box for the FCR's

I have had problems getting the rear speed nuts hung up and thought to myself "ah hah ,maybe thats what these guys are talking about with the tanks not fitting"

once I got the low fuel wire harness in the way
Old 12-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #24
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I have tried using a jack to push up on the bottom of the tank and I can almost get it high enough but the problem is that I cannot get it to move back towards the rear of the bike and the only way I was able to do that was to take out the back bolt. Bottom line is it won't fit.

This is dumb. Brand new resprung and revalved front forks from Superplush and cannot even try them out because the P.O.S. tanks won't go back on. If/when I get the tanks back on it may be gone.

is the speed nut all the way back in the long slotted hole of the rear upper frame tab ?
Old 12-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #25
gozirra
Spam?

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Took about a week in my warm/hot (southern California) garage. Average temp was probably 85 that week with highs in the upper 90's. It seemed to pull enough water or shrink the tank enough that I could get it back on the frame without having to remove fuel pump mounting studs, maybe 1/4 to 3/8 total. Enough for what I needed, and I didn't want to wait longer, wanted to ride.
gozirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #26
TcRulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
Hmmm
I have had my 2004 adventure tanks off at least two dozen times, maybe more over the past six years. 3 times this year Sometimes 4 or five times a day when I was tuning with the FCR carbs

I just take them off and stand them against a wall
pick them up and put them back on
a few times I had to slide the lower speed nuts aroud a bit
in temps between 100F and 20F
Me too. Never had a problem. Have left them off for 3 months when waiting for a new engine to come from the UK. Have left them sitting around empty and full, never an issue.

Ethanol is hydroscopic so attracts water. I'm in Australia and have never used this fuel so wondering if this is the problem
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #27
malangi
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Its happened to me a few times. Easiest way to fit the tanks back in:

1. Suspend off the top bolt.
2. Align to the bottom bolt and put in the bottom bolt a few turns.
3. Put in the top bolt a few turns
4. Now pivot the back side in. You will have to force it in a little. However since its the longest side, you will find it will bend in a lot easier. The bolt hole at the back can also be aligned, since it can be moved back and forth.
5. Tighten all bolts incrementally.

Girish
malangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #28
docjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I wonder if you could use a boot dryer to dry out the tanks off the bike?
docjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #29
lenny6753 OP
Adventurer

I've decided to expand the holes on the sides of the top plate(that rides on top of the battery) where the tanks lower bolts screw into the speed nuts(?). I am going to extend it to more of a cylindrical shape than just the round hole that already exists. I decided to do this because the tank has expanded down and forward. I'm crossing my fingers hoping it works.

I have tried top first, back first, bottom first, with jack, without jack, with wife's help, without her help, etc., etc. If this doesn't work I guess I will try the strap thing and basically warp the tanks trying to make them fit. Again, I appreciate everyone's suggestions.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
I've decided to expand the holes on the sides of the top plate.....Again, I appreciate everyone's suggestions.
Before you do that consider this (assuming you have the fuel petcocks down low like my 950. If not, please ignore and Merry Christmas!).

You need to have running clearance between said plate and the fuel petcocks. If you don't have clearance there, when riding the petcock can become loaded onto the plate, bending/pinching the petcock or worse, break and leak gas. Grinding said holes will reduce the available clearance, which is already slim. Very frustrating, I know. So check that before removing metal.

FWIW, I put a fender washer on the top mount and replaced the rubber bushings at the top mount because they collapse over time.
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote