Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #46
Hike&ride
Exploration Born

Oddometer: 11
Just a thought..if its humidity, get a dehumidifier and crank it up. might help..especially in a small room.

As far as me. I just had my tanks off for over a month, Did lots of maintenance, plus some farkles. I live in North Carolina near lots of swamps, very humid wet air. My tanks where about 3/4 full. I didn't vent them. I actually capped every vent opening and zip tied every hose. no air was going to get in. When I mounted them back up, not one single problem. My method my not work for others but it works for me so im gonna stick to it! Good luck and sorry your having to deal with it!
Hike&ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #47
ACP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I just read this thread last week and I was pretty apprehensive about putting my tanks back after they've been stood in my cold, cold damp garage for some 8 weeks.

They stood on end, caps closed with about a litre of fuel in each. Followed the advice here and left the battery cover plate loose and they went back on like a dream. No problemo...

AFAIK, we don't have any ethanol in our fuel here in GB though I did read about it being introduced in the future. I look forward to that like a hole in the head!!!

Seems a very random whether they expand or not. Ethanol, no ethanol, humid, hot, cold, vented, sealed?! Who actually knows why?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #48
jfh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I'm not sure you are right about uk fuel. See

http://fbhvc.co.uk/bio-fuels/

I beleive my 950 tanks were effected by the ethanol in the fuel and eventually my dealer was decent enough to supply me with one replacement tank for the right which was most distorted.
jfh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #49
Trailie
Can still fog a mirror

Oddometer: 27
My right tank bottom mount was about 1/4" off, not too hard to get right, but the left tank was nearly 3/8. Someone on this thread suggested removing the back screw, and that helped.
I have decided to line the tank with the Caswell product. I sluiced the tank out with lacquer thinner, washed it out with hot soapy water and rinsed it. Got the tanks back on and hooked my air compressor to the bottom petcock. After flowing air through the tank at very low pressure for 24 hours on each side, all bolts will go in without any force. I am hoping that, after I put the Caswell sealer in both tanks that they won't absorb water any more. Then I can try to make the cracks in the outer coat less obvious. Any ideas about spot painting? I not going to get too worked up about an 8 year old motorcycle, even though I love riding it.
Trailie is offline   Reply With Quote