User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
vader1701 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Laminar LIP

I own the 2008 Yamaha Majesty and I have the Jurock windscreen 2nd largest, I am 5-10 and have an inseam of 30 inches and I still get buffeting, now I know this is a design flow of maxi-scooters wide scale but there has to be something to help, reading about this Laminar Lip I chatted with a guy that put one his T-Max and it helped greatly, if not he was going to get rid of it. Any idea's out there or experiences/

Merry Christmas by the way.

Also my YouTube channel LordDarthVader1701
vader1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Durangoman
Yeah its me!

Oddometer: 773
I had a Laminar Lip on one motorcycle and another Laminar Lip type product on another. They made a huge difference in eliminating buffeting. In my book, money well spent.

Durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,915
Gday.
I put the Puig City Touring screen on my Sportcity One, and had to raise it to the highest setting and flattest angle to reduce (but not eliminate) buffeting, but this reduced the speed by 5kph. So I dropped the screen down to mouth height, angled it back towards me another 20deg, then fitted a home-made laminar lip to the top.
Problem fixed, quiet at any speed, top speed back, nil buffeting.
I've just made another one here at work for the Piaggio X8 I have, and they are famous for buffeting and noise with anyone over 5ft, same deal, problem gone.
I'm 6ft1 inseam 33".

Worth every cent, you won't regret the purchase.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
When I had my R1100R, the BMW windshield buffeted badly. I put a Laminar Lip on it. It helped a little, but did not eliminate the buffeting at or above 70 mph or so. I personally don't think it was worth the money.

On my Silverwing, the stock windshield was awful and I replaced it with a Givi AirFlow. The AirFlow is an awesome windshield which works very well. It has manual height adjustment and is very well designed to eliminate buffeting. If they make one for the Majesty, you might want to check it out...
Old 12-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
After 40 years of BMW riding 2 month ago I got a '09 Yamaha Majesty. On all my BMWs I had larger after-market windshields. For the Majesty I did not want a barn dolor shield. I know from experience that large shields really affect gas mileage. I don't worry so much about gas cost, but I didn't want to reduce the gas tank range. I'm 5'11". With the stock shield lot of head shake. I mounted the Laminar Lip, and it really smoothed the air out. I am not planning to get a larger shield. General protection is less than before, my R1200GS had a big Givi shield. So now I'm a bit colder, had to turn the Gerbings a notch higher. I can live with that.
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
Bearcat
burg1

Oddometer: 103
I have a Lip on my Burgman 650 with a stock shield. It eliminated the buffeting I was getting, still plenty of air though for

cooling in the summer.
Bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,402
Laminar lip on my Suzuki DL1000 VStrom - a bike that's notorious for buffeting:

Subsequently replacing the "barn door" stock mirrors with smaller, more aerodynamic units reduced buffeting even further at speeds above 65 mph:

LexLeroy screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 10:40 AM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
I have laminar lips and ears on my silver wing. I won't ride without either. They make the stock screen work very well and it's a lot cheaper than buying the givi screen which most people seem to cut down anyways.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #9
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,399
there really good. Lots of post here if you search on DIY lips and on google. Far cheaper to make one then buy it.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #10
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,893
Had a laminar lip on my old v-strom, and it worked well. On my klr, I bought the touring shield, but still had a problem with buffeting. Wennt over to laminar lip, and they designed one for me (the first they'd made for the touring shield). Gotta say, hell of a difference! Quiet and no buffeting at all. Give em a try, they work.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
vader1701 OP
Adventurer

Thank you for the responses.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
scootermann
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Go to Twisted Throttle and search by bike. I put one of the Vario "spoilers" on my Majesty and it works pretty good to eliminate MOST of the buffeting. I'm 6'2" and the very top of my helmet gets a bit, but overall it (and the addition of the Yamaha lower wind deflectors) helps.
scootermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #13
toolshed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hey scootermann-- do you have a picture of your windshield with the Vario spoiler attached? Did you end up with the bolt-on type (drilling through the windshield) or the clamp-on type? Like Vader, I am also trying to find a solution to the buffeting on my recent Majesty purchase. I love the bike, dislike the helmet-shifting turbulence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermann View Post
Go to Twisted Throttle and search by bike. I put one of the Vario "spoilers" on my Majesty and it works pretty good to eliminate MOST of the buffeting. I'm 6'2" and the very top of my helmet gets a bit, but overall it (and the addition of the Yamaha lower wind deflectors) helps.
toolshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #14
vader1701 OP
Adventurer

I just ordered one, I wont be able to test it out till this spring but I will post when I do, I am also going t make a video of mine the adjustments, how it helped (if it does) etc...

Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
toolshed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Hi Vader, Which one did you end up ordering-- the Laminar Lip or the MRA spoiler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader1701 View Post
I just ordered one, I wont be able to test it out till this spring but I will post when I do, I am also going t make a video of mine the adjustments, how it helped (if it does) etc...
toolshed is offline   Reply With Quote