Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #526
kjackbrown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
It does look good. Over rather than under? Or will it be over and under? Inquiring minds need to know.
I never cared for the under cross bar. They just never looked very good.
kjackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #527
4-s-hsky
Just a simple farmer

Oddometer: 119
Seat Modification

It's been a while since I contributed thanks to psycho girlfriend winter (it just won't go away) but my Seat Concepts foam and cover arrived. I am a tall guy and like to move back now and then so the stepped shape never gave me love. Since I have a good friend who happens to be a professional upholsterer I ordered up a small request.

Black color in the sun makes it difficult to make out detail but he took some of the remaining stock foam and shaped it over the SC unit to eliminate the step. I doubt I will ever carry a passenger so I fail to see the need for a stepped shape.

He said it was not that difficult to alter but he is very skilled. Don't try to attach the cover with anything less than a quality air stapler he told me. I only have a three mile test ride on it but it feels o-so-comfy/roomy.

I am thinking if this feels uncomfortable after a long day then maybe I need a new hobby. The transition to standing is much easier on the old man knee's also. I may need to bring the bars up higher because of the rise in seating position, time will tell. Now if only mother nature would cooperate I could offer more to the thread.
4-s-hsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #528
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-s-hsky View Post
It's been a while since I contributed thanks to psycho girlfriend winter (it just won't go away) but my Seat Concepts foam and cover arrived. I am a tall guy and like to move back now and then so the stepped shape never gave me love. Since I have a good friend who happens to be a professional upholsterer I ordered up a small request.

Black color in the sun makes it difficult to make out detail but he took some of the remaining stock foam and shaped it over the SC unit to eliminate the step. I doubt I will ever carry a passenger so I fail to see the need for a stepped shape.

He said it was not that difficult to alter but he is very skilled. Don't try to attach the cover with anything less than a quality air stapler he told me. I only have a three mile test ride on it but it feels o-so-comfy/roomy.

I am thinking if this feels uncomfortable after a long day then maybe I need a new hobby. The transition to standing is much easier on the old man knee's also. I may need to bring the bars up higher because of the rise in seating position, time will tell. Now if only mother nature would cooperate I could offer more to the thread.
What kind of windscreen are you running? What's your opinion of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #529
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,776
Quote:
It's been a while since I contributed thanks to psycho girlfriend winter (it just won't go away) but my Seat Concepts foam and cover arrived. I am a tall guy and like to move back now and then so the stepped shape never gave me love. Since I have a good friend who happens to be a professional upholsterer I ordered up a small request..
Love your seat----but I'm confused from what you said--------------the seat you ordered-----was it their standard seat mod------or did you have something about it made special ???????

I'm thinkin' what you did is exactly what I want------that is----it looks taller----and eliminated the step----so I just need to know what to tell then when I order it.

Thanks

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #530
Beemermcr
Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogadventures.com View Post
love your seat----but i'm confused from what you said--------------the seat you ordered-----was it their standard seat mod------or did you have something about it made special ???????

I'm thinkin' what you did is exactly what i want------that is----it looks taller----and eliminated the step----so i just need to know what to tell then when i order it.

Thanks

bigdog
+1!
2000 DRZ "Burro"
Beemermcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #531
4-s-hsky
Just a simple farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Love your seat----but I'm confused from what you said--------------the seat you ordered-----was it their standard seat mod------or did you have something about it made special ???????

I'm thinkin' what you did is exactly what I want------that is----it looks taller----and eliminated the step----so I just need to know what to tell then when I order it.

Thanks

BigDog

Sorry for the confusion. We removed the stock foam from the seat pan and installed the seat foam that Seat Concepts sells. As far as I can tell they only sell one shape of foam for the Terra. The upholsterer then shaved a piece of the stock foam and glued it to the front/lower portion of the now installed SC foam so that it smoothed the transition to the back step. He then stretched the supplied SC cover over the foam and with the help of an assistant and a heat gun the cover was glued and air stapled to the pan. He has modified many other motorcycle seats for me and does great work. Nice to see a man care about his craftsmanship in this day and age. Hope this answers any questions.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #532
4-s-hsky
Just a simple farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
What kind of windscreen are you running? What's your opinion of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark

It is a handlerbar mount screen that I have had for years. It has spent time on many a bike over the years and murdered countless insects. I can't recall where I sourced it but the sticker on the front says "SpitFire". It does a great job of keeping the blast off me. It is slightly wider than some others so the buffeting factor is non existent and my broad shoulders stay out of the wind. You would think it would rattle some but not at speed and slow off roading makes little noise also. I also like the fact that with the twist of two quarter inch bolts I can have it on or off in 20 seconds. Simple, effective, versatile and economical. Just the way I like things.

4-s-hsky screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 05:52 AM Reason: Grammar
Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #533
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,776
Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. We removed the stock foam from the seat pan and installed the seat foam that Seat Concepts sells. As far as I can tell they only sell one shape of foam for the Terra. The upholsterer then shaved a piece of the stock foam and glued it to the front/lower portion of the now installed SC foam so that it smoothed the transition to the back step. He then stretched the supplied SC cover over the foam and with the help of an assistant and a heat gun the cover was glued and air stapled to the pan. He has modified many other motorcycle seats for me and does great work. Nice to see a man care about his craftsmanship in this day and age. Hope this answers any questions.
Ok---I think I understand---------I can't get what you ended up with from Seat Concepts. Darn it !!!

Mark
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #534
4-s-hsky
Just a simple farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Ok---I think I understand---------I can't get what you ended up with from Seat Concepts. Darn it !!!

Mark
The Seat Concepts people requested pictures from me which I sent. It might not hurt to ask if a no step foam is available if you wish to order a Seat Concepts kit. My guess is a no step foam would be more popular.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #535
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,364
Quote:
The Seat Concepts people requested pictures from me which I sent. It might not hurt to ask if a no step foam is available if you wish to order a Seat Concepts kit. My guess is a no step foam would be more popular.
They've done a few seats for me and have been very accommodating, I wouldn't be surprised if they could do a stepless seat if there's enough interest. A handful of Terra owners in the Vendors thread asking about stepless Terra seats would probably do the trick.

I need to spend a weekend on the bike and see if I need another SC seat - their last one made my TE 310 all-day comfortable.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #536
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,235
This is the most comfortable seat I have ever had on a bike. I actually like having the step in the seat.
I spent 4-5 days in the seat nonstop last week without any problems. Maybe I'm just used to having crappy seats?
My neck/shoulders give me hell after several hours before my rump does.

Maybe its from riding horseback too... I bet if you guys spent a few weeks horseback you're love the Terra's seat.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #537
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
Some questions (stupid, maybe)

How much does it take to find the limits of the stock suspension? Say compared to a DR650, which has much more travel, but also very softly sprung so most of that travel is wasted.

I think the TR would make a good platform to improve its off-road performance while maintaining excellent onroad manners. Would it be feasible to increase suspension travel by swapping components? Or is there a chassis limitation of sorts..
Probably too early for this kind of question, but thought i'd ask.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #538
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,821
What do you think Jake, 170mm of very good suspension would be enough?

Still, a lot more than my 600 Transalp has now, and around 30 kg lighter.

Very interesting where some owners may take this bike with mods.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 AM   #539
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
i'm kind of aggressive off-road.
The onroad manners of this bike are perfect. But i can't exactly test ride one off-road.
I think it'd be a perfect 50/50 with just abit more suspension to work with
Old 03-29-2013, 01:48 AM   #540
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
i'm kind of aggressive off-road.
The onroad manners of this bike are perfect. But i can't exactly test ride one off-road.
I think it'd be a perfect 50/50 with just abit more suspension to work with
Jake, just buy one and stop stalking us Top donk, 2 year warranty, cheap and suprisingly good suspension.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote