User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Best Dakar shot ever?

Possibly 205, but if not, it HAD to be posted. Quite possibly one of the coolest photos of a Dakar bike in action ever...

Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
I haven't seen it before. Thanks for posting.

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
FlyingPenguin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Well there's my new screensaver.

Deadhorse- 2002, 2012
ALCAN 5000- 2004
COBDR- 2014
FlyingPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,660
Thumb Publicity photo

Marc Coma, unfortunately not riding this year because of injury.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Side note:
As a testament to the quality of KTM factory components...stock production lower triple clamp up under there....if anyone could afford to use super trick billet TCs it would be Marco Comas factory KTM team...yet he CHOOSES to use production stuff. Good stuff there.

Edit-looks like it may even be stock hubs in there.....?

Glad it is not 205.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 400
Good pic, but....

C`mon lads, great pic but it's just a 450. You see action like that at any motocross track any weekend.

It was brought home to me last year at the Dakar when a Chilean buddy of mine gave it the berries up a section on his open piped 990 before the race came through ( gotta love the Dakar, imagine that at any other world class race event?). I was watching from a hill overlooking the desert valley. It looked and sounded better than the pro`s coming though on the pukka rally bikes.

So my vote goes to a great man riding a proper machine. Shame they are both not still out there racing

Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Hey Marty,
I would have to agree that shots of BIG bikes ripping a berm or blast off a dune are awesome, maybe even better than just a 450 doing it.

I just thought it looked cool in full fairing, and huge fuel systems and full Dakar race trim just blasting and roosting that berm and pulling a full crossed up wheelie out of it was BA looking. Definately harder to do on a 950/990 or even a 660/690.

BTW, My wife is from Chile just up the road from you {or is it down the road?} in Rancaqua. I am hoping to visit there during Rally time in 2014. We owned a beach house in Vina Del Mar and my inlaws owned one in Valpariiso but we all sold them this year...to hard to manage beach rental from 5k miles away...
Old 12-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 400
No arguement Kelly. Love the pic it is a great shot no doubt.

Yep Rancagua is about 100 kms south of here.

I am heading off on the 14th over to Cordoba to follow the rally round back to Copiapo then south to Santiago, now the 3rd year I have followed it. Really enjoy the combo of a good old ride and watching the Dakar. Hope you can make it for 2014. If you do make it down here next year let me know we pretty much have open house for visiting ADV members.

Cheers - Martyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
Hey Marty,
I would have to agree that shots of BIG bikes ripping a berm or blast off a dune are awesome, maybe even better than just a 450 doing it.

I just thought it looked cool in full fairing, and huge fuel systems and full Dakar race trim just blasting and roosting that berm and pulling a full crossed up wheelie out of it was BA looking. Definately harder to do on a 950/990 or even a 660/690.

BTW, My wife is from Chile just up the road from you {or is it down the road?} in Rancaqua. I am hoping to visit there during Rally time in 2014. We owned a beach house in Vina Del Mar and my inlaws owned one in Valpariiso but we all sold them this year...to hard to manage beach rental from 5k miles away...
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #9
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Side note:
As a testament to the quality of KTM factory components...stock production lower triple clamp up under there....if anyone could afford to use super trick billet TCs it would be Marco Comas factory KTM team...yet he CHOOSES to use production stuff. Good stuff there.

Edit-looks like it may even be stock hubs in there.....?

Glad it is not 205.
Some kinda publicity shot on a mock up bike?
It has SXS forks instead of the usual cone valved factory forks.
I bet the fuel tank is almost empty ;)
Peanuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,442
Quote:
Possibly 205, but if not, it HAD to be posted. Quite possibly one of the coolest photos of a Dakar bike in action ever...

Been my screen saver for 3 years now, marc coma, on the 450

RIDE ON!

dzrtracin screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 02:45 PM
dzrtracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #11
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Thought it was a 690,twin pipes,either way great shot.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,516
Yep - 690. The fairings give it away. No little wings as per 450rrs Also the 450s run a single akra on the other side
Old 12-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynho View Post
I am heading off on the 14th over to Cordoba to follow the rally round back to Copiapo then south to Santiago, now the 3rd year I have followed it. Really enjoy the combo of a good old ride and watching the Dakar. Hope you can make it for 2014. If you do make it down here next year let me know we pretty much have open house for visiting ADV members.

Cheers - Martyn
Hey Martyn,
My 950SE (no decals and yellow Wolfman softbags) is enroute and will hopefully be unloaded and ready to ride in Valparaiso on the 16th. A friend and I hope to catch the race around Copiapo. Maybe we can meet - having a local help figure out where the specials are would be great.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #14
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,614
Well, from a photographer's POV-

Not only is the scene well composed and performed, the lighting is interesting, and what separates this shots from others similar to it.

Look at the light direction(s)- they've placed a very strong fill light (too strong to be a reflector) off to the left side of the frame- appears to be a fairly large source based on the specular highlight on the helmet. It MIGHT be all artificially lit- the highlight on the right side looks artificial as well, all though it might just be the sun on a cloudy day.

The light to camera left is completely lighting the underside of the bike- look at the footpegs and up under the fairing, boots, tires and swingarm.

Further, the light they're using has to be both powerful and fast- the only movement is in the tires, which must be spinning pretty fast, based on the position of the bike. Given the framing of the image and the depth of field, the lens is probably 50mm or slightly longer- he's pretty close to the photographer- not a lot of compression from a telephoto. My best guess is 85mm on a DSLR. Could be a bigger body- Hassy or something.

The image is virtually noise-free, so asa needs to be under 400 (at best) looks like 100, but we don't know the camera. Suffice to say it's not 6400 or something that would allow fast shutter speed at small apertures- ain't no free lunch.

So, with an 85mm, and that depth of field, camera's probably at f8 or smaller. To freeze this type of action at f8 or smaller, shutter speed needs to be 500th or better, even if strobed. So if it's strobe (and I suspect it is- could be a big HMI) it has to be both powerful, large and with a short strobe duration.

Very nicely done.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #15
freco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Thanks for pointing this out. Both pics are great. First one is already my wallpaper.
freco is offline   Reply With Quote