Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #16
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Well my analasys of the photo...it says 2010 on the fairing and Marc has the #1 plate so it would be a 690. He won the 2009 Dakar so he carried the #1 into the 2010 race and it says 2010 right there. 2010 was the last year of the 690 bikes.

Then I would agree it is a promotional photo with a VERY well set up photo shoot look and feel...not a mid race just happened to catch this shot moment. Still an amazing shot even if planned and practiced....bitchen.

Since it is a photo shoot, it is likely just a practice bike, hence the stock TCs and forks...still a bike I would piddle over the chance to ride.

All the set up, lighting, practice, planning and everything else putting into getting the shot still does not negate the fact that it is a killer shot.

Doing that on a 450 would be bitchen enough, but on a 690 makes it that much better even if the tank is 1/8th full. A 990 would have even more trick, but alas they were gone.
me still likey
Old 12-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymac530 View Post
All the set up, lighting, practice, planning and everything else putting into getting the shot still does not negate the fact that it is a killer shot.
Arrgh!

Looks like I gave the impression I was not thrilled with the shot- my bad.

Love the image from both a moto and photo point of view.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:37 AM   #18
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Well, from a photographer's POV-

Not only is the scene well composed and performed, the lighting is interesting, and what separates this shots from others similar to it.

Look at the light direction(s)- they've placed a very strong fill light (too strong to be a reflector) off to the left side of the frame- appears to be a fairly large source based on the specular highlight on the helmet. It MIGHT be all artificially lit- the highlight on the right side looks artificial as well, all though it might just be the sun on a cloudy day.

The light to camera left is completely lighting the underside of the bike- look at the footpegs and up under the fairing, boots, tires and swingarm.

Further, the light they're using has to be both powerful and fast- the only movement is in the tires, which must be spinning pretty fast, based on the position of the bike. Given the framing of the image and the depth of field, the lens is probably 50mm or slightly longer- he's pretty close to the photographer- not a lot of compression from a telephoto. My best guess is 85mm on a DSLR. Could be a bigger body- Hassy or something.

The image is virtually noise-free, so asa needs to be under 400 (at best) looks like 100, but we don't know the camera. Suffice to say it's not 6400 or something that would allow fast shutter speed at small apertures- ain't no free lunch.

So, with an 85mm, and that depth of field, camera's probably at f8 or smaller. To freeze this type of action at f8 or smaller, shutter speed needs to be 500th or better, even if strobed. So if it's strobe (and I suspect it is- could be a big HMI) it has to be both powerful, large and with a short strobe duration.

Very nicely done.
You forgot to mention the thin steel wire, the crane jib and the small explosive device to the right ;)
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,313
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #20
kellymac530 OP
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Arrgh!

Looks like I gave the impression I was not thrilled with the shot- my bad.

Love the image from both a moto and photo point of view.
No, I did not mean to sound like you did not like it. I could tell from your analysis that you appreciated it from many angles.
I was merely chiming in that even with all the set up, I like the shot too.

I really appreciate that you broke down what went into taking the photo. I am terrible at photography. I know when I like a shot, but the ability to get the right shot is random for me and more luck than skill.

Thanx.

Bobby,
I love the R900RR bikes so much I am building a replica of sorts....poorly done replica, but functional, I love that bike but I prefer the earlier iteration of the R900RR with out the beak more.

Peanuts,
I do not think there is an explosive device other than the thump of that 690 in the skilled hands of Mr. Coma. I do not know about a jib and wire and....but the roost is all KomaTheMan
Old 12-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,257
All Dakar action shots are great!!!

How can you not love the Coma press shot? I also saw photos of Despres and Coma jumping each other in the dunes of same press kit. Awesome stuff.

However, there is the quintessential shot of Fabrizio Meoni launching off a huge dune during '03 Dakar (?) on his KTM victory blue 950 that says it all to me... I believe he won that year, on that bike... a sub 450lb. beast. Racing that bike in the dunes must have been total and absolute riding technique.

That photo sold a lot of early 950 Adventures. Not to mention Fabrizio was not only a superb Rally champion, but he was involved heavily in the design of the bike.

One of my happiest moments was seeing the first production year 950 S in Meoni's victory blue... accidentally shipped to a dealer a couple miles from my house in late 2004. This is in the West Coast of California known for custom cruisers... And where there are very few of us into adventure twins like the Africa Twin and Transalp, early Super Tenere and GSPD.

Granted, if I was 25 years younger and hoping to ride in a Dakar today 'd love a 450.

But for all around adventure touring, like my 3 week tour to the KTM rally last Sept. I wouldn't have wanted anything different then my 950 S.

Thanks Fabrizio!!!

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 03:09 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 513
Well, I cant recall whether it was a video or a picture, nor can I seem to find what I am looking for....

Maybe somebody knows what I am talking about?
I am 100% positive that it happened on the Dakar.

The pic and/or video shows a rider trying to extinguish his burning bike by throwing sand at it, IIRC there are also other riders passing at that time.
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #23
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
Some kinda publicity shot on a mock up bike?
It has SXS forks instead of the usual cone valved factory forks.
I bet the fuel tank is almost empty ;)
+1 forks and clamp from customer bike. Extremes have a wrap around clamping arrangement on axle, outers are different colour. No neck brace. 690RR.
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:39 AM   #24
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,198
Does the Ktm 690rr have linkage?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:34 AM   #25
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocuL View Post
Does the Ktm 690rr have linkage?
No.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #26
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
No.
ah, yes it does. all of the 690's do.

here is a pic of coma on his. if you look you can plainly see the linkage

laters,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #27
godzuki
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
wow very nices pic's and man i love the first one in the thread
godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #28
Pampera
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
I've seen an uncropped version of the first pic.

It's not a genuine 'rally' pic because you can see the tyre marks (cropped out in this version) where repeated passes have been made for the camera.

Plus see the comments about lighting above.

I suspect it's a pre-event carefully posed and composed shot given away as part of a KTM press pack or goodie bag.

It's certainly not representative of typical rally raid riding.

Some years ago I worked with an ex-pro MX racer turned tester for a magazine.

He'd do riding in two styles: one to find out what the bikes were actually like, and how fast they could go, and another for photography with lots of wheelies and exploding berms. The second style looked very fast in still photography but wasn't in terms of lap times.
Pampera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:02 AM   #29
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,716
To shoot something like this, the crew will setup in a spot and have the rider go through over and over. If it were me, I'd tell him to expect 40 or 50 times to get what I want.

I obviously don't know about this shot- might just be a lucky grab- but I doubt it.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #30
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 595
FakeName & kellymac530

Hey guys, love the technical analysis & commentary: I really enjoy an 'inside' view.

On the other hand I do think set-up shots are less impressive than "true" action photography. That said, I don't discount the photographer or the rider's skills and talent, it's just more impressive (to me) when it's organic.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote