User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
craigincali OP
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,868
Honda Rukus Carb Questions

My nieghbor is 62 yes old and spent most of his life building HD choppers, the real chopper not the OCC crap. He now wants to ride his Rukus and due to medical problems he cannot ride a ""big bike". He has a 2010 Rukus with about 30 miles on it and the damn thing wont run. It used to run fine but now for some reason it just dies as soon as you give it just alittle throttle. I really want to help the guy out.

I know carb tuning, I used to race TZ250's. TZ125'S etc. This carb is just kicking my butt! No choke, this smog crap is not like the old stuff with the canister its different. Any suggestions or referrals to good repair place near Pomona Cailf?
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,500
In never had a Ruckus, but I did have an '07 Metropolitan. The carb itself is simple. It does have an electric "bystarter" instead of a choke, but that too is simple. The real problems come from it having an ECU and an electric fuel pump. The ECU controls both the fuel pump and the ignition. Both the ECU and fuel pump are super expensive. I believe the ECU is around $300. Problem is there is no good way to test it. Many Mets had the same issues. It's just as bad electronic wise as fuel injection. Hopefully that is not the problem. I would go to totalruckus.com and talk to them. If anybody knows the Ruckus, it's them.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
OBIWAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Ruckus Carb

Craigincali, did you find what you needed on TotalRuckus? If not this one http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewto...p?f=34&t=17488 seems to be pretty good. I would think a 3 or 4 year old Ruckus with only 30 miles will have a carb that needs some help.
nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither
victory nor defeat. ------Theodore Roosevelt.
OBIWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
craigincali OP
Just hanging around

Thanks guys. I am researching right now !
Old 01-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
2010 with 30 miles sounds like a clogged carb to me, clean out them jets. If he isn't gonna ride it much then he should always use seafoam at double (2oz. per gallon) the normal amount because of lack of use.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #6
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
2010 with 30 miles sounds like a clogged carb to me, clean out them jets. If he isn't gonna ride it much then he should always use seafoam at double (2oz. per gallon) the normal amount because of lack of use.
I never touched the carb on my Met during the entire 10,000+ miles I put on it. But if it has a float bowl drain, I would drain out the gas, then disconnect the fuel line, and fill the float bowl with pure Seafoam, and let it soak 24 hours. The Met/Ruckus has a very small carb with a very small float bowl, so there is not much gas in it. Since it requires the fuel pump to get more gas in it, it seems unlikely that it could be really badly plugged up just from the evaporation of one bowl full of gas. But on the other hand, it may have been started lots of times during those years, and the float bowl filled up with gas and evaporated several times.

Can you hear the fuel pump run when you first turn the ignition on? That would be a good sign. Like I said, hopefully it is something like plugged jets that that can be easily fixed, and not an electronic problem.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
craigincali OP
Just hanging around

He cleaned the carb, I checked the fuel pump and its working fine, good gas in it. My buddy said he had to reset the computer by doing something with the battery but it ran after he did that. It basically went from running fine to this in a few weeks.