User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
gmk999 OP
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 333
Are Wheelies legal?

According to my Yahoo homepage.. there are some new Motorcycle specific laws that are about to come into effect. Like speeding wheelies are now subject to tickets ? And that Motorcycles can go through a red light. Are these so?

What are the new laws in your area, and how do I find them in mine? Ct.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,046
In many states it is not specifically called out, but still not leagal under a few different laws such as excessive show of horsepower and racing laws.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
A true classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVLab...yer_detailpage
Old 12-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk999 View Post
According to my Yahoo homepage.. there are some new Motorcycle specific laws that are about to come into effect. Like speeding wheelies are now subject to tickets ? And that Motorcycles can go through a red light. Are these so?

What are the new laws in your area, and how do I find them in mine? Ct.
LOL, EVERYGODDAMNED thing is illegal in New England Wheelies will get you bracelets
Old 12-31-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
Calamity Jesus
n0ob

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
In many states it is not specifically called out, but still not leagal under a few different laws such as excessive show of horsepower and racing laws.

Jim
I need to do more wheelies on my wife's TU250X..

"No, your honor.. I cannot deny that I was showing off all 16 horsepower. I do take issue with the term 'excessive', though."
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,009
An illegal is a sick bird.

Everything is legal until you get caught. So it's simple really, just don't get caught.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
I don't know if wheelies are illegal in themselves but Im sure you could get a ticket for something even if its something like"headlight improperly adjusted".
Unrelated to wheelies but to carry on with the theme.
I used the "my motorcycle is too slow"as a defense for a speed contest ticket one time many years ago, and I won.
I had a Honda 700 Interceptor and a friend of mine had a Suzuki GS1100ES with some stuff done to it (it was VERY fast).
When we passed the officer we were side by side. I explained to the judge that my little 700 was no contest for the built 1100, if we truely were "racing", we wouldn't have been side by side. He believed me and the ticket was tossed out. The officer was pushing to reduce it to simple speeding until the judge asked him how fast I was going and the officer had no idea.
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Speaking of New England, I'm deep under cover at Logan International right now. Brady sucks! Manning roolzz!
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
gmk999 OP
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post
Speaking of New England, I'm deep under cover at Logan International right now. Brady sucks! Manning roolzz!
LOL!! A couple of the "boys from southie" may be stopping by to see you. I recommend ATGATT
BTW here is the link to the article...http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...opstories.html
Old 12-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmk999 View Post
... Like speeding wheelies are now subject to tickets ? ...
This must be a troll...
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
Mr Bags
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 539
Illinois has given my son 2 tickets for wheelies in the last couple years. He cant resist.
Mr Bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #12
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 213
No OP, Wheelies are not illegal in and of themselves. Stunting is illegal. If you can make the case that you lifted the front wheel with justification (acceleration away from impending collision, getting over a piece of road rubbish, safely crossing a construction edge) you might be OK with the right LEO or judge.

Now I CAN tell you that in New England wheelies are immoral. Wheelies lead to fun. Fun leads to moral turpitude, which leads to sloth, bad language and poor hygiene. You could find a half dozen religions in New England that would castigate you for wheelies.

Wheelies also cause sterility and cancer. Excessive prostate pressure will restrict blood flow down yonder and stopping to have a smoke after a good 1/2 mile wheelie just ain't good for you.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostback View Post
No OP, Wheelies are not illegal in and of themselves. Stunting is illegal. If you can make the case that you lifted the front wheel with justification (acceleration away from impending collision, getting over a piece of road rubbish, safely crossing a construction edge) you might be OK with the right LEO or judge.

Now I CAN tell you that in New England wheelies are immoral. Wheelies lead to fun. Fun leads to moral turpitude, which leads to sloth, bad language and poor hygiene. You could find a half dozen religions in New England that would castigate you for wheelies.

Wheelies also cause sterility and cancer. Excessive prostate pressure will restrict blood flow down yonder and stopping to have a smoke after a good 1/2 mile wheelie just ain't good for you.

Lee
They sure as hell ARE... my buddies son became a pedestrian for six months after displaying his wheelie skills (Manchester)
Old 12-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,037
This varies widely. You'll have to look up the vehicle code in your state. As others have remarked, everything is probably illegal in New England -- remember, this part of the country was settled by people so prudish and uptight that England kicked them out.

In Indiana, there is no requirement in the state law (there might be some local laws) that your motorcycle must always be operated with both tires on the ground, so wheelies technically aren't illegal. If you can manage to wheelie without breaking any other laws in the process, go right ahead.

However, we do have laws against "speed contest" and "exhibition of speed", both of which can have very broad interpretations depending on the officer's mood that day.

We also have a law specifying that a motorcycle must be operated "astride" the seat, which rules out quite a bit of "stunting" behavior. I don't think this rules out standing up on the pegs, or they would have phrased it "seated" instead of "astride". I've never worried about it.

IC 9-21-10-4
Seating restrictions
Sec. 4. A person may not drive, operate, or ride as a passenger on a motorcycle ... in a position other than astride the seat or saddle provided.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #15
kels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
NOT in Kansas
They come under the exhibition of acceleration.
Which is part of the drag racing statute and stays on
your Kansas drivers license for SIX years

Does wonders for your driving history and future insurance payments.........
kels is offline   Reply With Quote