Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #31
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 653
If I was in your shoes I would spend about $7500.00 on a used KTM 950/990, and bank the rest of the money until you decide what type of riding you really like. The 9X0 bikes are as good off-road as the Japanese 650 singles, they will eat up road miles, they are comfortable, fun to ride and for the most part reliable.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #32
El Pescador OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
I really appreciate all of the replies So a lot of people have proposed the 800XC. I've requested a test ride at a local dealer. Maybe it and a used WR450F? I may bust the budget!
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #33
El Pescador OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post
The 9X0 bikes are as good off-road as the Japanese 650 singles, they will eat up road miles, they are comfortable, fun to ride and for the most part reliable.
Is this true? The big KTMs are as nimble as 650s? Is a KTM 990 comparable to an XC800?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #34
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
Is this true? The big KTMs are as nimble as 650s? Is a KTM 990 comparable to an XC800?
Yes. I had a KLR 650 before my 990 and the 990 is much better offroad. It's a heavier bike, but once moving it feels very light, and the engine and suspension are light years better.

When I was looking to upgrade from the KLR I spent a lot of time comparing the 800XC, 800GS and 990, and in almost every catagory the 990 was the better bike - for me at least. If you're going to test ride the Triumph, you really need to ride the KTM as well.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #35
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
If you had $15k to spend on any 2 or 3 bikes what would you buy?

I'd keep the Harley and add this:

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcd/3491855046.html

and this:

http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/3478524447.html

Bank the rest and go for a nice long ride.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #36
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhersh View Post
Why not keep your Harley for the street and get a dirt bike as a compliment?
This was sort of my line of thinking as well since he suggested a $15K budget...that's a lot of coin to spend for another bike when he already has an expensive HD.

I assumed, probably incorrectly, that he bought the Low Rider new thus my suggestion to trade the LR on a touring HD for distance and comfort. If the LR was bought new the difference should be less than $7K for a new trade in leaving him $7-8K for almost any off-pavement oriented bike, bought new or used.

Of course if he doesn't want to spend $15K, he could sell/trade the LR for 2 bikes.

OP, try to determine what kind of riding you will actually do, not what you dream about as these are more often than not two different things. Is 80% or more of your adventure riding going to be off-pavement, dual track, forest service gravel/dirt roads or true singletrack. Is your highway use tooling around Houston and 1000 mile weekend trips or would you venture out and do 1-3 weeks at 4000-10,000 miles at a pop.

Once you figure that out then decide if you can "afford" (price, insurance, taxes, maintenance, garage space etc.) 2 bikes. If so what 2 (or more) bikes best fit the type of riding you plan to do.

My limited experience is that, even though the Triumph 800XC is a great "all purpose bike", all purpose bikes in general are usually not great at anything and tend to be owned by guys with only one bike. In other words 2 bikes, if budget allows, are always better than one.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #37
El Pescador OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I bought the LR used. It's an '03. I guess I'm not crazy about it because it's obnoxiously loud and I think, a bit slow. I don't know as I've never had another large motorcycle, but I would think it should at least have as much pickup as a fast car. I don't necessarily want to do 120, but I would like to get from 30 to 80 fairly quickly
Old 12-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #38
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
I bought the LR used. It's an '03. I guess I'm not crazy about it because it's obnoxiously loud and I think, a bit slow. I don't know as I've never had another large motorcycle, but I would think it should at least have as much pickup as a fast car. I don't necessarily want to do 120, but I would like to get from 30 to 80 fairly quickly
Fair enough.

Value is probably around $7K and it should out accelerate 90% of the cars on the road from 30-80. If it won't the obnnoxiously loud pipes are likely part of the reason. Plus as a LowRider you leave a lot on the table in terms of cornering clearance.

Sell it and get one or more bikes that are more inline with your needs.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #39
El Pescador OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Fair enough.

Value is probably around $7K and it should out accelerate 90% of the cars on the road from 30-80. If it won't the obnnoxiously loud pipes are likely part of the reason. Plus as a LowRider you leave a lot on the table in terms of cornering clearance.

Sell it and get one or more bikes that are more inline with your needs.
Thanks, that's why I'm trying to get opinions of people more experienced than me.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #40
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Plus as a LowRider you leave a lot on the table in terms of cornering clearance.
A Dyna Lowrider has is not truly a low rider. It has 30.5 right and 31 left degrees of lean angle available. (It handles just fine... 55mph through a 35mph marked corner speed is doable with room to spare on the FXDL)

By way of exapmle, some of the other models out there (including some Harleys) only have 24 degrees of lean available.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #41
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
$15,000 to spend on motorcycles....... wow that's a hypothetical one.

I have owned just 8 motorcycles over the forty something years I have been getting around on motorcycles, and none cost as much as $1,000. My current 15 year old ride set me back $500 about nine years ago. I had the engine overhauled about three years ago so it should be good for a few more years.

I suppose I would carry on buying motorcycles for others.... there have been several one way with ex-girlfriends and their hangers on.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 04:18 PM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #42
rodhersh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
How about some quiet pipes? There are also tons of hotrod parts out there to give you the oomph you desire.

If you absolutely can not live with your current ride my advice would be to test ride lots of makes and models. Take your time. When you find something you like test ride it again, and again. It always amazes me how much the idea of a bike differs from the reality. For example, when Buell came out with the Ulysses I wanted one, bad, until I rode one, it just wasn't for me.
rodhersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #43
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post

I have owned just 8 motorcycles over the forty something years I have been getting around on motorcycles, and none cost as much as $1,000. My current 15 year old ride set me back $500 about nine years ago. I had the engine overhauled about three years ago so it should be good for a few more years.

I suppose I would carry on buying motorcycles for others.... there have been several one way with ex-girlfriends and their hangers on.
time for me to start stalking you.....I bet you got some great stories.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #44
El Pescador OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post

I don't understand the last part. Can you clarify? BTW I went to Phuket when I was in the Navy. It is a beautiful place.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #45
gmtech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Super tenere ! Its not 15grand I got mine a week ago for 11900 and it run Texas highway like nobodys business I hear its also good on the dirt. Do it!!
gmtech is offline   Reply With Quote