Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #46
El Pescador OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech View Post
Super tenere ! Its not 15grand I got mine a week ago for 11900 and it run Texas highway like nobodys business I hear its also good on the dirt. Do it!!
Hijack away and give some details!
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #47
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
If I started with a 15k budget back in March of 2011 when I'd never ridden on pavement and not ridden motorcycle in over a decade, knowing what I know now?

I'd probably still buy a small monster, though I'd go for FI, Metal Tanked 750 or 620.
I'd also pick up a small dualsport (WR250R or EXC-300).
A lot of nice riding gear (custom fitted gloves for sure.)
And if I had to buy it all as a newb? Multistrada 620.
If not? After about a year? Multistrada 1000/1110 or maybe a Futura.
Also Total Control, ACSCC, California Superbike School and a track day or too.
Keep in mind I sold my car and started using my bike as my sole vehicle right away.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:58 AM   #48
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
I think this is the right place for this thread. I'll start with background. I haven't been on a motorcycle since I was 15 and rode a Yamaha DT50 to school every day. I have wanted a motorcycle for a long time but work, family, and finances made a bike a low priority.

About 6 months ago, I bought a Dyna Low Rider. I wanted a Harley for a couple of reasons.
1) Their resale is good and I knew if I didn't like motorcycling, I could turn it around without losing much money.
2) They're simple and I could learn the basics of motorcycle maintenance and mechanics.
3) I didn't know adventure bikes existed.

I really like riding and not necessarily riding ONLY a Harley as most who have them are. I'm not opposed to a Harley, I just don't identify with the brand and believe I would enjoy riding ANY motorcycle. I would like to get another 6 months of experience on the Low Rider and then sell it or add to the garage and therein lies the question.

If you had $15k to spend on any 2 or 3 bikes what would you buy?
Meaning, would you try to cover the riding styles with two bikes like a KTM EXC450 and a BMW GS800 (these bikes are representative of their class and not necessarily the specific bikes you would buy) or would you buy three bikes like a 250 trail bike, a 650 dual sport, and a bigger bike like a big GS or KTM 990?

I know it's dependent on the individual, so here are my specifics...

1) I'll rarely be 2up.
2) I live in Houston. Lots of highways and lots of traffic. The SH National Forest is 30 minutes north with about 80 miles of trails. Additionally, their are places that I can ride dirt, but that doesn't really appeal to me as I prefer to explore, rather than just ride the same track.
3) I obviously will have to buy used since the budget doesn't afford new.
4) I travel regionally for work, and I would like to do more of it on a motorcycle, rather than fly in.

If I haven't made something clear, or made some assumptions please ask further questions. I look forward to your experience.
Depends on what you want to do and what you buy. For some guys, $15K is 2 bikes, for others, 5 bikes. Since you said 2 or 3, we'll go with 3.

Big street bike with luggage. I have a concours 1400 so that fits the touring bill, and the "sporty" bill for the street.

Dirt Bike - I have a 525 EXC with a tag, so I have a street legal race bike.

For the 3rd bike I'd go with a Hooligan bike or Track bike. Lightweight street bike, or full on track bike. I split the difference and have a track only 560 SMR supermoto. I really want a nicely set up SV 650 for the track, that is likely my next purchase. Following that will be a naked bike for more local street riding, or a track day.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #49
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
I'd pickup a used adventure bike setup with luggage, aux lighting, then get trailer set up to pull 400±cc supermoto behind it or maybe an easily detachable hack

maybe a MultiStrata and a KTM, more likely a GS, certainly not a Strom, got one, don't need another. on the other end, the SM could be a DRZ
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #50
gmtech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Go to beast thread and super tenere thread everybody has awesome things to say! Look on cycle trader if u pay over 12200 for a hold over 2012 its to much the local dealer I got mine at had it listed at 14500 I once I told him I was interested and had 1000 to put down on it he was like 'I got a deal going on these 11900 ' I was like AAA OK then it old him I was gonna get side boxes to and he said he would take 10% off those too! I think he was trying to get as many sales was he could before Christmas. This dealership is not a mega dealership either they sell snowmobiles too. Anyway I think it was just right timing. The bike is great fast and not labored at all on the highway just twist and our gone even
gmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #51
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 707
Cool2 Multistrada 1200!!!

I'm w/ Slartibartfast; go for the Ducati Multistrada 1200.

You jumped back into motorcycling after half a lifetime away w/ a large bore HD.

You obviously aren't timid.

It'll rock in Houston traffic, it'll accommodate a passenger, and you can tour on it in style.

It can handle trails, but not real dirt...

It's reported to be less finicky/expensive to maintain then previous Ducatis, and has ABS.

A legendary bike from a legendary company.

You can afford a nice used one.

Of course, I'm biased because I want one.

Wait a year, and if you still feel the need, add a little dirt bike, or whatever you then decide you need/want.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #52
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
If I had 15k right now? I'd riding a Multistrada, Stevio and SMT to see what I liked more.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #53
El Pescador OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Thanks to all for your thoughts. I'll let you know how the test rides go.
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #54
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,501
Stay away from shaft drives!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #55
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Stay away from shaft drives!
Absolutely!
Cuz you can't wheelie a bike with it, it raises the center of gravity (just stand on your pegs to lower it again ), and it does not require enough cleaning/maintenance.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #56
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
(Tiger 800XC)

Is that bike comfortable over long distances?
Quote:
Yes. (I base this on a few 600+/- days on one) I prefer the windshield removed.
I find the XC to be an all-day bike with a two hour seat. An airhawk makes that better, but I'll be looking at more permanent options this season.

Quote:
You may need to address the windshield and seat a little but other than that it is likely the best all purpose bike ever. (an 800GS being a very close second) IMO
I find the windshield didn't really block any wind or rain, but at least it caused lots of turbulence. So I took my 800XC windshield off, and replaced it with a Speed Triple flyscreen and windshield. Now I have smooth air that hits me about mid-chest. There are other options to solve the problem like the MadStad, but it's expensive and (IMO, of course) Fugly- and unlike a topbox, it's in front of you so you have to look at it all day.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #57
Der Kaiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
The $15K Question

If you're new to motorcycling odds are you really don't know what kind bike is best suited for the type of riding you think you're going to do. For that reason, I wouldn't spend a lot of money just yet until you get something and figure it out -- that means going used. That said, some of the best bikes are going to hold their resale fairly well so you're not going to get a screaming deal -- but there's no sense buy another "Harley" and then finding you want to sell it because it's not the right tool for the job.

Personally, if I could only own one bike and it had to do everything I would likely do, it would probably be a BMW F800GS or a Triumph Tiger 800XC. Yes, they're both heavier than the KTMs and therefore aren't as good off-road but you need to ask yourself if you're really going to be slogging through bogs, marshes and single-track trails with your trusty steed or do you want some moderate level of off-road capability. Just my $0.02 so, if you bleed orange (or some other color), please flame away!

Kent
Der Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:40 PM   #58
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post
Yes. I had a KLR 650 before my 990 and the 990 is much better offroad. It's a heavier bike, but once moving it feels very light, and the engine and suspension are light years better.

When I was looking to upgrade from the KLR I spent a lot of time comparing the 800XC, 800GS and 990, and in almost every catagory the 990 was the better bike - for me at least. If you're going to test ride the Triumph, you really need to ride the KTM as well.
Misintended, but still misinformation. The handling won't help you pay $$$ for parts $$$ when you drop the katoom vs just pick up the klr and keep riding. By dirt, you mean trails right, not dirt roads ?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #59
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,501
Ime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
Misintended, but still misinformation. The handling won't help you pay $$$ for parts $$$ when you drop the katoom vs just pick up the klr and keep riding. By dirt, you mean trails right, not dirt roads ?
KLR's tend to break when they drop. Foot pegs, shifters, bent bars, brake lever...

KTM's, not so much.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #60
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,807
Quote:
KLR's tend to break when they drop. Foot pegs, shifters, bent bars, brake lever...
That stuff's all easy to fix and protect. It's the radiator you need to watch out for. DAHIK.

Quote:
KTM's, not so much.
But when you do break something, you'll wish it was a KLR you were buying parts for.

If I were to do it again, I'd buy start with a DR650 and farkle it up (bigger tank, good crash protection... a topbox...)

dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote