Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #61
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post

But when you do break something, you'll wish it was a KLR you were buying parts for.

You can buy a KLR with the KTM parts Budget.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #62
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,782
If you guys who are debating (again) the relative merits of big trailies v's monster trailies off-road in the mud, will re-read the original question, you will see the OP is looking for a street-oriented large DS, plus a small trail-bike. I would suggest that he will not be buying a big trailie like the KLR and will not be taking a monster trailie in the mud as he will have something smaller for that purpose.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #63
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
KLR's tend to break when they drop. Foot pegs, shifters, bent bars, brake lever...

KTM's, not so much.

Nothing broken:

Broken:

Old 12-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #64
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,503
point larryboy

Old 12-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #65
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
time for me to start stalking you.....I bet you got some great stories.
Not a lot of late, having spent most of the past decade on an island 50 km long by 20 km wide. I have had some good rides in New Zealand, the British Isles and Europe, but that was all in pre digital photography days.

I anticipate moving on sometime in 2013. With widened horizons there should be the odd adventure to post, over the couple or three decades that I have to look forward to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
$15,000 to spend on motorcycles....... wow that's a hypothetical one.

I have owned just 8 motorcycles over the forty something years I have been getting around on motorcycles, and none cost as much as $1,000. My current 15 year old ride set me back $500 about nine years ago. I had the engine overhauled about three years ago so it should be good for a few more years.

I suppose I would carry on buying motorcycles for others.... there have been several one way and another with ex-girlfriends and their hangers on.
Somehow a few words got missed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
I don't understand the last part. Can you clarify? BTW I went to Phuket when I was in the Navy. It is a beautiful place.
I enjoy motorcycling, but motorcycles are primarily economical transport for me and others here. A car is beyond my budget (and I have little need of one anyway; have rented only three times in the past nine years), and Phuket is poorly served with public transport.

I bought a motorcycle (paid cash) for my ex-girlfriend when she needed one.

When she walked out on her job I paid off the remaining balance (in a lump sum) on her father's motorcycle that her sister got kudos for. She put the deposit down on it..... my girlfriend was left with looking after the payments.

When her best friend needed a motorcycle I fronted the cash to buy one. That found it's way to her father in a province 900 km away, and she married a man in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia).... all without me seeing a baht of the loan repaid.

So three motorcycles associated with that ex-girlfriend (of several years).... she moved on when she felt she should be getting around on four wheels. She sold the motorcycle I bought her to help pay off her new boyfriend's car.

Since then I paid for the transport (and a bit more) for a bike another young woman's mother sent her from her home 1,700 km away. Her bludging brother turned up and crashed that. Now it now looks a bit of a mess, but still works.

So that's five motorcycles in the last decade, but I am the registered owner of only the oldest one!

To the OP..... I have long since had a fairly pragmatic attitude to motorcycles. Some people spend a fortune chasing their wants, dreams and fantasies. If motorcycling is mainly a hobby, and you can afford it, go for it.

Like many other life-long motorcyclists, I tend to go for a bike that meets my needs.... Boring, eh?

Aj Mick screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 09:23 PM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #66
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 12,916
if I were a noob,,

I'd be 40 years younger,,
I like all the bikes I've had, except for a true hatred for a very few.
Like 'em ain't enuff, I have sold most of the bikes I have liked.
not enuff to just LIKE a bike,,for bonding purposes, if yer into that.
My KLR is a POSKLR, but the difference is,, I love it!
it is too tall,
too heavy,
doesn't come to me when I call it, doesn't purr or snuggle,
it rquires frequent feeding,
it has no real usable powerband,
crappy suspension,
substandard stock brakes,
low power output for electrical additions,
BUT,,

it will carry a ton of camping crap you don't even need!
If you don't beat it, it gets darn good gas mileage,
They are darned reliable, maintain, observe, service and ride.
Surprisingly, for what it is,, it can corner very well when set up properly,,mostly downhill ,,
It won't break your wallet for parts,
with a good manual, you can do most work yourself,
You can make up names for what the KLR stands for to unsuspecting non riders that you meet in the restaurant parking lot!

Oh! wait,, if you are a KLR rider,,you won't likely be at a restaurant!

Okay,,maybe you stopped to use the bathroom and fill yer Camelback with free ice,,
who doesn't do that?!take the crackers too!
My KLR doesn't care if it is dirty.
AND!,,the older ones have more class!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #67
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
I think this is the right place for this thread. I'll start with background. I haven't been on a motorcycle since I was 15 and rode a Yamaha DT50 to school every day. I have wanted a motorcycle for a long time but work, family, and finances made a bike a low priority.

About 6 months ago, I bought a Dyna Low Rider. I wanted a Harley for a couple of reasons.
1) Their resale is good and I knew if I didn't like motorcycling, I could turn it around without losing much money.
2) They're simple and I could learn the basics of motorcycle maintenance and mechanics.
3) I didn't know adventure bikes existed.

I really like riding and not necessarily riding ONLY a Harley as most who have them are. I'm not opposed to a Harley, I just don't identify with the brand and believe I would enjoy riding ANY motorcycle. I would like to get another 6 months of experience on the Low Rider and then sell it or add to the garage and therein lies the question.

If you had $15k to spend on any 2 or 3 bikes what would you buy?
Meaning, would you try to cover the riding styles with two bikes like a KTM EXC450 and a BMW GS800 (these bikes are representative of their class and not necessarily the specific bikes you would buy) or would you buy three bikes like a 250 trail bike, a 650 dual sport, and a bigger bike like a big GS or KTM 990?

I know it's dependent on the individual, so here are my specifics...

1) I'll rarely be 2up.
2) I live in Houston. Lots of highways and lots of traffic. The SH National Forest is 30 minutes north with about 80 miles of trails. Additionally, their are places that I can ride dirt, but that doesn't really appeal to me as I prefer to explore, rather than just ride the same track.
3) I obviously will have to buy used since the budget doesn't afford new.
4) I travel regionally for work, and I would like to do more of it on a motorcycle, rather than fly in.

If I haven't made something clear, or made some assumptions please ask further questions. I look forward to your experience.
I like this game! I wish I could play it with myself...wait, that came out wrong...

How far do you ride for work? If you're doing <500-600 mile days then:

Newish KTM 990 ADV (spend most of the $ on this and farkles for it, maybe 10k)
Newish DRZ 400 (for the more realer off roading, maybe 4-5k)

Traveling >600 mile days

KTM 990 ADV (spend a little less than the first option, maybe 8k)
Older, Smaller Dual Sport (Something smaller than 600cc and less than 3k, maybe a really beat up DRZ? haha)
A Sport Tourer/Tourer (old 'Wing or Concours, you can find them surprisingly cheap, this will be the mile-eater)

These are my totally biased, personal dream bikes that assume you already have plenty of gear/skill.
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #68
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGavin41 View Post
I like this game! I wish I could play it with myself...wait, that came out wrong...

How far do you ride for work? If you're doing <500-600 mile days then:

Newish KTM 990 ADV (spend most of the $ on this and farkles for it, maybe 10k)
Newish DRZ 400 (for the more realer off roading, maybe 4-5k)

Traveling >600 mile days

KTM 990 ADV (spend a little less than the first option, maybe 8k)
Older, Smaller Dual Sport (Something smaller than 600cc and less than 3k, maybe a really beat up DRZ? haha)
A Sport Tourer/Tourer (old 'Wing or Concours, you can find them surprisingly cheap, this will be the mile-eater)

These are my totally biased, personal dream bikes that assume you already have plenty of gear/skill.
And now looking carefully through your replies, I would say maybe snag one bike and see how you like it/get some more miles under your belt. You seem plenty mechanically inclined to do most of the work you'd find yourself needing to do, which in my opinion is a BIG money saver.
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:43 PM   #69
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Nothing broken:

Broken:

I thought he was kidding, all I've ever seen are the pictures u posted. I haven't seen much yet , though ;-)
Old 12-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #70
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
How committed is the OP to having two bikes? A second (or third) vehicle is an anchor. Of course, if you have a garage, you're already well-anchored.

Since the OP otherwise still seems to be (re)figuring out what sort of motorcyclist they are, I'd suggest buying cheap and used until they're more certain - maybe a dr-z400 (which should split the difference on the small and big thumpers pretty well, and SM wheels can be had for it, too for 'round town duty).

I think owning a 250cc dualsport, a 650cc dualsport -and- a big GS or KTM all at once is a heavy investment in dirt riding. How sure are you that is what you want? You obviously weren't sure six months ago when you bought your Dyna, so I wouldn't spend the whole $15k right now on all-dirt bikes. Chances are, you'll end up one bike collecting dust, or even two of them.

Go slow, wait for a cracking deal on something used, see if you still like it later, resell, repeat.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #71
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
A noob would have not the slightest fucking idea what bike to buy.

And if he did, only $15k wouldn't be enough to buy more than one, and might not even be enough to fully pay for one.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #72
El Pescador OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
How committed is the OP to having two bikes? A second (or third) vehicle is an anchor. Of course, if you have a garage, you're already well-anchored.

Since the OP otherwise still seems to be (re)figuring out what sort of motorcyclist they are, I'd suggest buying cheap and used until they're more certain - maybe a dr-z400 (which should split the difference on the small and big thumpers pretty well, and SM wheels can be had for it, too for 'round town duty).

I think owning a 250cc dualsport, a 650cc dualsport -and- a big GS or KTM all at once is a heavy investment in dirt riding. How sure are you that is what you want? You obviously weren't sure six months ago when you bought your Dyna, so I wouldn't spend the whole $15k right now on all-dirt bikes. Chances are, you'll end up one bike collecting dust, or even two of them.

Go slow, wait for a cracking deal on something used, see if you still like it later, resell, repeat.

I'm starting to think this is the place to start. A 450 or 525 cc street legal dirt bike. I don't have to spend a whole lot for a used bike. Also, the local dealer is out of 800XCs to demo. Thanks.
El Pescador is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #73
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
2 bikes:
DL650 for road trips.
DR650 or WR250 for shorter trips and dirt roads.
95% of needs covered for probably 8k.

However, picking bikes is highly individual. More so than cars I think. Sit on all of them and then decide.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #74
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,374
Cool2 Two

I think a DR650 and a Yamaha FZ-1 would do everything you need a motorcycle to do. And at your price range, one of them could even be new, and the other very low mileage.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #75
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 494
this is an easy one...

get a used DL650 for 5-6K and a new CRF250L, for $4K. you're at max, ten grand right there and still have five grand left over...invest $2,000-$2,500 in great gear for you and the rest for luggage/gear for your bikes. done.

yes, good gear costs that much. it's worth the investment.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote