Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #31
chasssmash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
I used to be an atheist until I realized atheists were as fanatical as the most bigoted 'religious' of people.

When I was rolling along the New Jersey Turnpike at 90mph about 6 months ago my helmet scraping against the tarmac and cars going inches from my body -I knew, KNEW, there was a God and I felt total peace. No fear- just calmness.

To the OP enjoy all the peace that God gives. Ignore the fanatics who know no better. I am not religious but I understand how you feel.
chasssmash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #32
bbtech
Computer Guru

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasssmash View Post
I used to be an atheist until I realized atheists were as fanatical as the most bigoted 'religious' of people.

When I was rolling along the New Jersey Turnpike at 90mph about 6 months ago my helmet scraping against the tarmac and cars going inches from my body -I knew, KNEW, there was a God and I felt total peace. No fear- just calmness.

To the OP enjoy all the peace that God gives. Ignore the fanatics who know no better. I am not religious but I understand how you feel.

It is strange you make a statement about bigotry and then call ALL atheists fanatical. Is this similar to the idea that there are all these "militant atheists" running around? This, despite there is no militancy, no atheists taking up arms, just some who dare to have an opinion that infuriates some people enough to label them as militants. Are atheists supposed to shut up, silently nodding their approval for something they believe is nonsense or demonstrating respect when others are disrespectful. I think it demonstrates how some religious people expect others to confirm such societal norms rather than be genuine, honest and real. When someone disparages another person because of a difference, do you keep it to yourself while they accept your nods or do you ever feel compelled to say something. I understand the poster finds great comfort in his belief in god and he should do whatever he thinks is right for himself. My sister is an ardent christian and honestly I couldn't imagine her any other way. If you travel enough and meet enough people, you'll find that what you believe is but a part of who you are and not the only thing that defines you and how there is a lot of diversity out there.

I had a nasty crash on Nov 2nd, totaled my bike and was hospitalized and just recently was able to go back to work. I didn't call out for god or have the epiphany you experienced......I thought about my family, my friends and whether this was the end or not but interestingly I was okay with whatever happened. Live your life to the fullest and do the things that make you happy. That is why I ride to begin with and why I will in the near future buy a new motorcycle and get back to doing one of the things I love to do.

I was hesitant about even replying because after all, these are motorcycle forums and the original poster seems like a really genuine and nice guy and I feel bad his thread has taken such an insulting turn (you to Dan).

PS..

AttGat....thats always been one of my favorite religious jokes. The version I have known is where boats keep coming by while the water keeps coming up and an old lady keeps telling them "No thank you, the Lord will provide" . 3 times they do this as she goes from the second floor, to the roof and to the top of the chimney. Of course when she gets to heaven and asks God why he let her drown, God looks down at her and says "Jesus Christ lady, I sent 3 boats!"
You also mentioned you were once an atheist and then later became religious. had the opposite conversion if you will. I was a theist until the age of 14 when I started doing some heavy reading in science and history and have been an atheist for the past 30 years.
bbtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #33
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
Yeah, I've heard that joke too. My priest told that one at the end of his sermon when I was about 12 years old. His punch line was, "I sent you a truck, a boat and a helicopter - what more do you want?"

I was a believer then and I took that question as rhetorical.

Now, I believe it's a question - the answer is: I want you to not flood my fucking city.

Though, if I was actually having that conversation, I guess I'd have to be a believer.
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #34
chasssmash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
I never said I was religious-I find religion to be pretty obviously fake.

I just said I believe in God and I used not to.

Chasbo
chasssmash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #35
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,239
You know I was a combat medic for years then became an ER Trauma Registered Nurse after my soldiering was done. Seen those that should live die and those that should die live....no rhyme or reason to some things. Just bad luck for some or shear dumb luck for others.

Let those that believe believe and those that don't don't. This is the OP's thread to thank whomever he wants and simply tell a story.

Let it be........
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #36
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,206
Sorry to hear of the crash and glad you are recovering well.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #37
comac90
RedBull Addict

Oddometer: 137
OP ... glad you're recovering. Just said a prayer for your continued recovery and strength. I'm convinced God is concerned about the 'physical', but far more concerned about our hearts. It's crashes like yours that give me pause, though - and, though I haven't stopped riding (been down once on pavement), crashes like yours remind me to always ride ATGATT, but even that may not be enough.

At the risk of being kicked to Jo Momma, I should just hold my tongue on the beliefs topic, but having been an Atheist, a 'Buddhist-light', and now a "born again"(dare I say, 'Calvinist') Christian and with all due respect ...

...4 points:
  • There is no hypocrisy in the OP's 'thankfulness'. The Bibilical God the OP believes in is ominpotent, but that just means unlimited power, not 'makes everything happen'. God allows things to happen and also 'makes' things happen. Read the book of Job if you want more detail.
  • Even if you are an Atheist, that is still a belief accepted on faith. I really enjoy hearing what people believe ... But, they are just that: "beliefs... accepted by faith". We could argue about the existence of God - but, I'll save that for Jo Momma. At the end of the day, there will always be an element of faith.
  • Unfortunately, I think we live in an age of moral relativism where the arrogance of man has come to a point where many claim their personal faith in 'no God' as truth with nothing more than weak arguments, their own feelings and cultural stereotypes to back it up.
  • "Universal Truth" doesn't need anyone to believe it for it to be true. It's the height of arrogance for one to think that their belief in a 'faith' makes that 'faith' true - and, that applies to every belief from atheism to Christianity.

To the OP, stay strong Brother - stay humble, keep fighting. Thanks for sharing ...

T

comac90 screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 10:16 PM
comac90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #38
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
Very good read. Pretty inspiring. I just had my first major wreck a few months ago, but the bad thing is I feel it won't be the last time. I should always be more careful. I guess that is just part of riding.
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #39
Sadlsor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
SRMN8R, thanks for posting and sharing. I'll join you in thanking God for your being with us still.

Comac90 - your 4 points are relevant.
The Truth will always be the Truth, regardless of our belief or disbelief. We can choose to believe in gravity, but our belief or disbelief doesn't change its nature nor behavior.

There is much ignorance in the world, and much foolishness, including those who believe and those who do not. God did not come to earth to create religion, but to continue His desire for a Relationship with His most coveted creation. That would be you and me.

And He gave us free will. To accept or reject Him.

It amuses me to watch those misguided people on both sides of this argument, who struggle mightily, and speak so stridently, to support or defend their choice...it seems to me the ones shouting loudest are often the most insecure in their world view. Make your choice. Live your life. Let it be.

Flame suit on...
Old 12-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #40
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,199
That was a helluva crash, Padre. Well told, too.
Glad you're still with us (regardless of who's gets the credit).
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:13 AM   #41
JettPilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
SRMN8R,

Thank you for sharing your story. I have to agree with you, you got a lot of enjoyment out of riding for many years, and sometimes its best to know when to quit. I made the same choice early on, I did not completely quit riding, but I reduced it by about 99 % after an accident... If it were up to me, I would be riding my motorcycle every day, and everywhere... But after my accident and seeing the statistics, I rarely ride anymore, and when I do, I try to stay off road as much as I can.

I was sorry to see some people turn this thread into something ugly, it is most definately not your fault. Your story was well told, and posted in a very educated manner. Just remember, Jesus was also born into a world of mean and rude people, and did not leave, he dealt with it in the best way possible. I hope you do not get discouraged over this and leave the forum, just follow his example and embrace the good that is found here. There are far to many good people and great stories in this forum to let a few rude people drive you away. Read the adventure rides reports, enjoy the pictures, and you can still ejoy motorcycles through thier experiences. God bless you.

Mike
JettPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #42
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
"So... what can I take away from this life altering incident? What have I learned?
  1. I'm blessed. I really believe that God spared my life.
  2. Listen to the still small voice of God. You see, I had an uneasy feeling about riding that day. I ignored it.
  3. My wife is the most amazing woman on the face of this earth. She stayed with me at MCV for 8 weeks. She never once has blamed me or spoken negatively about what happened. She even told me "I understand if you need to ride again."
  4. Grandma used to say, "God looks after sinners and stupid folks." Grandma was right.
  5. Life is good. Very, very good.
  6. Your attitude can give you altitude. It's not what's happening to you, but what's happening through you that really matters."

Amen brother
Old 12-31-2012, 04:59 PM   #43
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,090
Now my head hurts.
Jeez.
I meant Jeez in a good way.
Honest.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #44
bfc.lonewolf
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Phil 4:13

What a blessing to share your share. It is interesting the number of attacks you recd for doing so.
bfc.lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #45
RogerDe
Dust In The Wind

Oddometer: 265
Thank's for your story,praying that the good Lord comfort's & strengthen's you & your family each & everyday. Your blessed to have a good women standing with you through the hard time's....Have a Happy New Year & a full recovery ....God is Love