User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
pingvin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Pirelli MT60 or alternative 60/40 tyre for easy gravel

Planning 5000km/3000mi trip this summer, probably a little bit more tarmac than gravel. But will be good gravel roads and mostly not that twisty. So no mud, sand or rocky stuff at all.

So really confused which way to go:

- 21"/18" wheels (OE KTM 690EnduroR)
- 17"/17" wheels (690SMC wheels)

Am thinking maybe 17"/17 wheels as best on tarmac and don't need 21" unless very bumpy. Still many ways to go:

- SUMO like Pirelli MT 60 - seems like handles dry/wet tarmac very well an also gravel fine (but wear fast)
- DS with road bias like Pirelli Scorpion Trail and ContiTrailAttack (both available in 17" front)
- 50/50 DS like Conti TKC80 and Heidenau K60 Scout (both available in 17" front)

So any thought, both on wheel size and tyre type? And alternatives to the ones mentioned you prefer. For me grip is more important than life...but will high speed gravel riding kill the more road biased options?

I am tempted by the 17"/17" Pirelli MT 60 option, they're supposed to stick very well but will they last the trip? Can't find 17" front as option on Pirellis web site but they are here http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ront-Tire.aspx
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,954
I used MT 60's on my old MZ Street moto. It had sumo wheels. I found them excellent on the street, notsomuch on dirt roads. They lasted about 4k miles. A real good fast gravel tire is the Mefo Explorers on a 18/21 wheelset. Good on the highway too, and wear like iron. The front sucks in the mud, though.

The MT 60 is really a high performance sportbike tire with a shallow block tread pattern. Great in the rain.
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 563
I have used Michelin T63 in the past and found them pretty good on gravel and ok on tarmac, certainly enough life in them for your trip.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Shinko 705 would be my pick..
Old 12-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
pingvin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, thanks for advice. It's 60/40 in miles but more 80/20 when comes to priority, that's why trying to avoid the knobby tyres. Want good street tyres that is OK on gravel, not opposite.

Still maybe something like MEFO or Shinko is the way to go...too many choices.
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE

pingvin screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 03:52 AM
Old 12-24-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 563
Avon Distanzia in that case, the pair on my GS are coming up to 10,000 miles with about 3mm on them, I am a pretty steady rider though.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
yea i ran the mt60s and liked them on the road but offroad they were just ok. they dont last long because they are so soft. i like the distanzias for the road too but were about the same offroad just ok but last way longer than the mt60s.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
pingvin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

What about DS with road bias like Pirelli Scorpion Trail and ContiTrailAttack? Found this in other thread here, but only tarmac no offroad as far as I can see (recognize layout from German Motorrad, europes biggest bike mag and very thorough tests):

Also fond this here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279736, sounds propmising and about what I want. Only thing is that from 2007, 5 years is a long time for tyre development so not sure if now better options (and if TrailAttack have been updated since):

"On the road the tyre works fantastically and as good as any road/ touring tyre should. It easily meets and exceeds the bike's capabilities on the road, any surface.
In the rain, they are confidence-inspiring allowing you to concentrate on the road surface and your direction, and provide good feel.
On the dirt I can only say 'WOW'. they should not work as well as they do, given the tread pattern. I am very impressed and am pleased with their performance, taking into account their design brief. anything more gnarly or rutted I would only recommend slow, deliberate progress and of course forget deep, loose sand."

EDIT: Trail Attack 2 for 2013 so then that's sorted
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE

pingvin screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 03:40 AM
Old 12-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,675
I find the Tourance tyres remarkably good all round - plenty grippy enough on the road to get the chicken strips off and surprisingly capable in conditions like gravel

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
Endurodude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I use the Pirellis; they're a 90/10 (or 95/5) tyre really. I think they'd be OK for some gravel, but I'd only use them for minor excursions. As a road tyre, dry or wet, I've found them to be good. I know exactly when they're at the limit of adhesion, and they've been very good in all conditions. They've always felt secure for me (F800GS). If I were travelling mostly surfaced roads, they'd be my choice every time. I'm off to Morocco next year, where I hope to be more Adventurous, and I'm going to use he Heidenau scout rear with a TKC front. Lots of posts here in favour of this combination!
Endurodude is offline   Reply With Quote