Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
cbig OP
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 878
Xt600 vs xl600

Thanks for any info -
Interested in one of these two older kick start dual,sports..XL is something I am somewhat familiar with but the xt600 I here is a good bike as well. I see lots of examples in my area around 14-1600 bucks..

Is either better than the other? I'm an xr guy but I did have an 80's Yamaha that worked well. How do. They compare reliability wise, street, on dirt? Parts availability? I'm interests in using the bike as an occasional commuter and a dirt explorer . I've got lighter xr's for more serious dirt work such as single track.

Any reason to favor one over the other? Both seem reliable and capable of 40k + miles if cared for. Ay more comfy, better seat? Build quality better? Fit and finish? It may ride on the back of my jeep occasionally, so lighter is better.

Thanks,

CB
Old 12-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 777
XL600 hands down. not even a competition.
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
cbig OP

Anything more

Specific?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Depends on the year. Both are great though.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
cbig OP

Going to be

A 1984-1988 bike. Must be kick start to meet weight requirements..
Old 12-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #6
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Thumb Yamaha XT600 ARe "Hands Up"???

Well, Thats a Honda guy talking there. Lots of XT600 riders all over the world. Must be good for therm?? New bikes, old bikes there, Yamaha has got a ride for you. You can get the e-start Xt600 90-95 model for under $1000.00! Or the 84-89 model you can get with a motor that will do 90,000 to 100,00 miles. You can get that model for $100.00 to a 1000 to0!! "Hands up for The XT600!!!!!??" How many do you have??
Sound like a Yamaha ad???? Well, I have 3 TT600s, one XT600, Xt550 XT500 Too!! Ride almost everyday some where on one of my yamahas. I also have a KLR650!! Not all yamaha here. Good luck! BIG EDC XT&TT 600 FAN!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,833
The only issue I would have with the XT is the YDIS dual carb setup. All of the 80's dual carb setups were a stupid fad. But the YDIS was espescially lousy. If the XT doesn't start, idle and otherwise carburate perfetly I would walk away. To me, the XL dual carb is much easier to work on and tune.

Another plus on the XL side is that some XR suspension components will cross over. You can graft an aftermatket XR shock on and make the forks work. Plus there are exhaust options from XR's. Not as much cross over as a quick look would indicate. But a lot more than you can find for an XT.

But stock and running well I don't see much difference in performance.I would buy a clean XT over a beater XL and the other way around.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The only issue I would have with the XT is the YDIS dual carb setup. All of the 80's dual carb setups were a stupid fad. But the YDIS was espescially lousy. If the XT doesn't start, idle and otherwise carburate perfetly I would walk away. To me, the XL dual carb is much easier to work on and tune.

Another plus on the XL side is that some XR suspension components will cross over. You can graft an aftermatket XR shock on and make the forks work. Plus there are exhaust options from XR's. Not as much cross over as a quick look would indicate. But a lot more than you can find for an XT.

But stock and running well I don't see much difference in performance.I would buy a clean XT over a beater XL and the other way around.
The "Kedo" catolog has all the parts for exhaust, hop-up you could ever need for a XT600. Thers a Hop-up carb for the XT600 too. All the crap of YDIS is gone. I run stock carbs and drain them. Never have a problem with them.
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
cbig OP

Best I can tell so far

Is the xr is about 15 lbs heavier, but has a wider transmission, 41 mm forks. The xt has supposedly a chrome lined aluminum cylinder, the xl is standard iron. Looks like a lot of people add on better dirt suspension. I have a xr600 for that, I'm mostly interested in the wider trans for street, fwy and mild dirt on an affordable backup to my street bike. Xts are more rare but have seen some cherry xls go for 1400. I figure 1400-1700 for something nice is about right?
Old 12-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,833
My seat of the pants stock for stock always found the XL to be a little better offroad and the XT a little better on the street.. The stock suspension isn't much on either. But I could make the XL stick better in turns. Probably a function of better front suspension. So it gets my win offroad by a narrow margin. But then for whatever reason I was always more comfortable with the XT ergos. So it gets my vote on the street. Like I said, given a choice I would buy whichever was the cleaner example and better deal. There isn't that much difference. To me, anything under $2000 for a really clean dual sport is a reasonable deal.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #11
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
From first-hand experience, albeit 25 years ago: I bought a new '83 XL600 in 1984 and rode it for over 20K miles in 6 years. My friend had an XT600. We rode them a lot together and swapped a lot. We rode everything from the MX tracks at local offroad parks (in my case, VERY slowly), to long tours (California to Alaska and back, for me), and lots of dual-sport riding, usually involving single-track one way and mountain twisties on the way back. My friend was a better dirt rider and I was faster on pavement, and any slight differences in the bikes didn't change that. Both bikes never broke. At the time, I thought the XL600 felt lighter and more comfortable in the dirt, and was also USUALLY easier to start, with both bikes having totally stock jetting and carb/emissions setups (California bikes). So my vote is for the XL600, all things being equal. BUT at this point either one is a 25+ year old used bike, and all things are unlikely to be equal, so go for the one that's in better condition or better priced, with an additional caveat that it may be easier to find Honda parts (OEM, aftermarket, or XR upgrades). Oh, one other thing .... my friend had an XT500 and XT550 before the 600, and for overall DS use with twisties and slab, the 600 was MUCH better than the smaller, drum-braked Yamahas.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #12
cbig OP

R there

Any mechanical differences to lean one way or other?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Mechanical differences? Like reliablity wise? I wouldn't think so. The only main deal is the carb difference. My friend had the Yamaha dual carb setup on his xt350 but other than a leak between the carbs it never gave him grief. I'd say the Honda might be easier to find parts for since they probably sold twice as many, but the XT is still cool. I would have got one provided I didn't find my XL first.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #14
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
I had an 89 xt600, the last year before they made some big changes...

that engine was as peppy and reliable as my xr6 engine...

the xt is a great engine...be sure you dont have issues with people lugging 5th gear as that was a known problem just as 3rd gear is on the xr line....

I tried many xl6s before buying my xt6, the xl6 had more off the line power and was lower...they both had conservative suspension with my nod going to the xt by a smidge, all the xls I was looking at were more expensive than the yammies...just a thought for those looking.

ps. there is nothing wrong with yamahas ydis carb system, people just had to mod them and then started having problems...

swap on some raptor carbs and done...

both are great awesome bikes

the KEDO catalog will make your 80s dakar juices run...most xt modding and aftermatrket parts come from europe something to think about.

elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
here is my old yammie...some mods like tank and barkbuster but that was it...

I was about to go riding down to south america but changed plans at the last moment...

I miss it! and this coming from a full fledge honda xr guy now!

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote