User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,967
1995 Triumph Sprint

I just got a 'new to me', 1995 Triumph Sprint. It's the companion bike to my '89 Transalp.

I've looked through the threads and haven't found much mention of this particular bike. I'll post a pic of mine shortly to get the ball rolling. It looks like this is going to be a fun winter project.

Any other early Sprint owners out there? Please chime in.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here's mine. Just got it yesterday. Lots of miles but runs like a champ. Sprag clutch already fixed. Factory hard bags. Newish tires. Plan to paint and replace the windscreen with a stock unit from Zero Gravity.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
njd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Neat bike. Looks to be pretty clean for its age. How much did you get it for?
njd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks. I actually cleaned it up after i shot this pic. I traded another inmate this bike for my '94 Honda XR650L and a few extra farkles. I've got about $2500 in it i guess.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

Oddometer: 329
i had one as my first bike. Enjoyed it and the engine is bullet proof. I wish I could find another on the cheap.
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236
I just got a 'new to me', 1995 Triumph Sprint. It's the companion bike to my '89 Transalp.

I've looked through the threads and haven't found much mention of this particular bike. I'll post a pic of mine shortly to get the ball rolling. It looks like this is going to be a fun winter project.

Any other early Sprint owners out there? Please chime in.
Series 1 Hinckley Triumph engine, very tough overbuilt engine. Some would say they have odd, long wheel base, high centre of gravity handling, not a backroad scratcher. I've ridden one many times and can attest to that. This is a great long distance tourer with basic sporting intentions.
They use Honda CBX / CB1100F / CB900F / CB750F shims, but cannot make use of the Honda shim replacement tools, making top end adjustment a real clusterfuck with the Hinckley tools. Electronic ignition pickup plates fail, best to buy one now, every one of my buddies who have this engine have done it already [4].

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,426
I just wish Triumph would stop ignoring the touring market and bring out a new Trophy. 1200cc Triple, aim it at the RT, keep the gizmo's to the minimum, price it competitively and step well back as it sells well..
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:15 AM   #8
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The ride on this one reminds me a lot of my old BMW K100RS. Handles the same way but is a good bit lighter. Definitely not going to give and GSXR's a problem in the twisties, but at almost 50, neither am I. Seems very comfortable but I haven't taken any long trips yet. Engine sounds pretty agricultural at idle but is really sweet through the Yosh pipes when accelerating. Biggest problem so far is riding along on back roads and looking down to find that i'm running 70. Engine is so smooth it's sneaky fast. I think this will be a good match to my Transalp.

Thanks for the technical input guys. I'm going to start picking up a few things just in case.

AST236 screwed with this post 11-08-2010 at 09:20 AM
Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 AM   #9
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,385
I owned a 1998 Sprint Executive from 1998 to 2003 and put about 25,000 miles on the bike.

Really liked it. Should have kept it... Was just wanting something new and couldn't afford to keep it at the time...

I added OEM Tiger chain and sprockets to mine and REALLY woke it up! It would accellerate pretty hard!!!

Handling was pretty good for a 500-lbs sport-touring bike... Took it to one trackday school and had fun... Once I got rid of the OEM Bridgestone BT-57 tires and went to Pirelli Dragon GTS tires, the handling really improved...

I also added the 6-piston front brake calipers off a Super-III (they were available in the Triumph accessories catalog). Thing would really stop, too!!!

I rode it all over the country. It was comfortable for passengers and could haul lots of stuff...

You'll like it!

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #10
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've been doing the dualsport thing for a while and still have that covered with my Transalp. This is the first pure street bike I've owned in about ten years. I was pleased to find that it came with the factory hard bags and that the bags would hold a full face helmet. That is a real convenience item when i'm knocking around. I can get somewhere and put my riding gear in a relatively secure place and wander around much more comfortably.

I've already ordered a stock windscreen and have talked with a buddy about changing the color to a dark blue or dark red. Still on the fence about a color.

Fortunately for us here in the southeast, we don't have much of a winter so I'll ride on and off all year. This bike has 84K miles but i think it's good for more.

Thanks for the input. This is my first Triumph so I have a bit of learning to do.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Fortunately for us here in the southeast, we don't have much of a winter so I'll ride on and off all year. This bike has 84K miles but i think it's good for more.
FWIW, a riding buddy had a Trophy 4 with a 160k before befor it gave up the ghost.
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

At 84K this one seems to run fine. No over heating, no oil leaks that i've found. Starts right up and runs clean w/o the choke in a couple of minutes. Need to compare speedometer to my GPS, though. Seems like my speedo might be a bit optimistic. With the factory bags, this thing should make a great tourer. Stock windscreen should arrive next Monday and I may consider a set of the smallest bar risers.

Thoughts?

AST236 screwed with this post 11-12-2010 at 09:09 AM
Old 11-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #13
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,257
Had the green version and loved the thing. Not the best at any one thing but really good at most anything, quick for a bigger guy, bulletproof, and it sure got nice comments.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #14
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The big brown truck just delivered my stock windscreen. Unfortunately I"m about to leave on an overnight family trip so I guess installation will have to wait til Sunday.

Am debating over three colors, a dark red (like a Ducati red or maybe the Chevrolet Victory red), one of the Triumph blues, or the Triumph brg.

Opinions welcomed.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,648
Quote:
Engine sounds pretty agricultural at idle but is really sweet through the Yosh pipes when accelerating.
I had a '98 Thunderbird Sport (same engine). These things always sound like there's a handful of gravel in them at idle, but the roar of the triple is awesome when revved up
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote