Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,154
How do you get a replacement compliance plate?

Afternoon All, I have an old (1981) KTM i'm going to restore but the hardest part to fiind for it is probably going to be a replacement compliance plate. The original is still there but largely unreadable as the headlight rear shroud has rubbed most of it away. I'm going to just put it on vintage bike rego but I'll need a readable plate. Does anyone know who I should contact to get this started?

Cheers

OD
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,783
I think a ktm dealer should be able to help you out.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
podge NT
Podge NT

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Afternoon All, I have an old (1981) KTM i'm going to restore but the hardest part to fiind for it is probably going to be a replacement compliance plate. The original is still there but largely unreadable as the headlight rear shroud has rubbed most of it away. I'm going to just put it on vintage bike rego but I'll need a readable plate. Does anyone know who I should contact to get this started?

Cheers

OD
There is only one compliance plate issued for any vehicle if it gets lost or destroyed, too bad they cannot be replaced.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Oldfatbeerman
Big on Corner speed

Oddometer: 3,416
Quote:

Cheers

OD
I had a similar issue with my old hilux ute , the plate fell off as the rivets had fatigued over the 20 or so years and 1/2 a milion k's it had done , I had to go through the local Toyota dealer who had to inspect the vehicle , check all the numbers were correct and then fill out a number of forms to submit to the manufacturers representatives here in the Aussie republic and the NSW Gumbymint where upopn I was presented with a letter of ADR compliance for that vehicle that had to be with the vehicle at all times when in motion . Dunno how this will be achieved with a vehicle that is not currently registered though , talk to the guys at Dubbo KTM Bill , they might have some knowledge on the subject , good luck , you'll wear out at least one pair of boots running around after it I am sure of that .
Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
philth
philth

Oddometer: 5,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post
There is only one compliance plate issued for any vehicle if it gets lost or destroyed, too bad they cannot be replaced.
unless you ride a postie
Old 11-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:

Cheers

OD
Get off ya arse and join the GVMC then Im fairly certain it only needs to pass a road worthy and have the club fill out some paper work to get it registered.Or some crap like that.

Here are some links ya lazy sod.

http://www.councilofmotorclubs.org.a...d=15&Itemid=16

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...t0B4lHfK1gfEUg

http://www.gulgongmotorcycleclub.com/
Old 11-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #7
podge NT
Podge NT

Oddometer: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
unless you ride a postie
Swapping is not replacing
Old 11-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
Uncle Crumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by podge NT View Post
Swapping is not replacing
Yes it is, you just replace it with another one!
Ducati 907ie.83 TT600 KTM 640 Adventure
Etz 250 Guzzi Quota 1000
Uncle Crumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
Gadget678
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
I would've started here:

Just contact your states registration authority and ask them: "What do I do?..."

Have you ever noticed that when you're out on the bike, nothing else matters?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709292
Gadget678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,131
being a fan of the honda z50 monkeybike scene .. honda have now stopped isueing lost or damaged compilence plates .....they used to do it .... but now they dont

as for other manufacture's i dont know
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
Uncle Crumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
I had an issue with my mz when I went to register it, QT had no record of the engine or frame no. But the bike had a compliance plate. As far as I was concerned and I pointed this out to them, the bike had been complianced in Oz, their record keeping was not my problem. So as long as you have the plate readable or not, you shouldn't have a drama. They never found the details of the bike but I supplied the numbers and they registered it. Ringadingding !
Ducati 907ie.83 TT600 KTM 640 Adventure
Etz 250 Guzzi Quota 1000
Uncle Crumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,858
Quote:

Cheers

OD
oooooh '81 KaToom... eh?

Vas is das modelteilnummer... ja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #13
saintell
Monarchs #30

Oddometer: 332
I don't think your vehicle would have a compliance plate anyway some early KTM's were not compliant,certainly no VIN which they normally want,I would think the engine number alone should suffice ,any numbers stamped on it are usually stamped on the frame,if you are still in trouble find another bike and copy the compliance numbers off it,alternatively take the plate off and look at it with a very strong magnifying glass,red plate reg is very understanding not as strict as full reg,join a club in Vic that does their own scrutiny not a RWC,cheers Nev
saintell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:10 AM   #14
OldDog OP
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,154
Shane....mate why don't you just tell me what you think instead of beating about the bush like thatI'll check those links but, and I am joining the CVMC I have the registration to hand in on Sunday at the swap meet...are you goin?

Troy, yeah mate she's a '81 250GS 2 smoke . Horvaths are about to get a good size order from me

Saintell, yeah this one has a compliance plate, it's probably one the rare ones that Floody decided to comply It even has blinkers!

Phil, sorry mate but Posties are strictly for the elite, I don't think i could handle the outrageous power of one of those suckers.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 AM   #15
LeglessOne
Baiter of OldDog

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Shane....mate why don't you just tell me what you think instead of beating about the bush like thatI'll check those links but, and I am joining the CVMC I have the registration to hand in on Sunday at the swap meet...are you goin?

Troy, yeah mate she's a '81 250GS 2 smoke . Horvaths are about to get a good size order from me

Saintell, yeah this one has a compliance plate, it's probably one the rare ones that Floody decided to comply It even has blinkers!

Phil, sorry mate but Posties are strictly for the elite, I don't think i could handle the outrageous power of one of those suckers.
I read through those links ages ago and i'm pretty sure if your in the club and get the road worthy etc it doesnt even matter about the plate/vin/eng number.

See Don at main street auto he's a supporter of the club and he'll definetly know what you need.He'll probably be at the swap meet.

Dunno about the swap meet I'm over the valley on friday and dunno if i'll be back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD