Oddometer: 270
:cool
Thx Guys...
Old 12-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #32
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Can I ask,
Do you guys use a GPS and do any waypoint logging or do you just follow your noses? Or most likely a bit of both...
Can 't beat local knowledge and the maps are a great start, thx again...
Old 12-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #33
BygDaddee OP
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'NumNuts View Post
Can I ask,
Do you guys use a GPS and do any waypoint logging or do you just follow your noses? Or most likely a bit of both...
Can 't beat local knowledge and the maps are a great start, thx again...
We GPS'd it with a combination of what we had ridden before from Dayboro through Mee to Kilcoy and a track Andy_P had sent me for the rest of the way which had a detour into Blacksnake before Widgee. We had an unbelievable guided tour home from Woopwoop Dave back to Kenilworth. I have both Tracks up and back in my GPS now as can be seen on I think it was post #15
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #34
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Cool
Old 12-31-2012, 01:34 AM   #35
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Nice ride. Just got back from Melbourne after buying another toy for my other hobby, sailing, so I have not had a chance to have a good look at this thread. Wish I had been around for the ride!

I notice you guys found the lookout up near kilkevan. Imagine being the grader driver that first run that track. Last time I was up there I stopped on the narrow part and took a look down the cliff. Pretty tight! The radar reflector is for civilian aircraft, the military guys are better than that!

If any of you kind folk have track logs I would not mind getting the one from blacksnake out east.

I really should not mention this in public, but my mate who lives up at said he has no problem if a bunch of riders camp up on his property, and he even offered to go buy piss in advance. So if anyone is interested in a few months time (when it gets cooler) I might organise a ride up there.
Andy_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:58 AM   #36
Wasca
Adventurized!

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_P View Post
I really should not mention this in public, but my mate who lives up at said he has no problem if a bunch of riders camp up on his property, and he even offered to go buy piss in advance. So if anyone is interested in a few months time (when it gets cooler) I might organise a ride up there.
For sure Andy, I'd be in on that, I think you made mention of that ride last time we went out. Keep us all posted for that one bud
Wasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:32 AM   #37
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasca View Post
For sure Andy, I'd be in on that, I think you made mention of that ride last time we went out. Keep us all posted for that one bud
Good as gold. As you know, I sail competitively, and I just bought a new racing boat so my priority is that now. Got to get it ready for some upcoming races. But I reckon on the fringe of winter is the go. Big fire, not to hot in tents/swags etc. I hate when your sports/hobbies collide! Shame too, I replaced the DR clutch last weekend so its just sitting there ready to go now! Might try and hook up for a quick sat ride soon!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:43 AM   #38
Wasca
Adventurized!

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Good as gold. As you know, I sail competitively, and I just bought a new racing boat so my priority is that now. Got to get it ready for some upcoming races. But I reckon on the fringe of winter is the go. Big fire, not to hot in tents/swags etc. I hate when your sports/hobbies collide! Shame too, I replaced the DR clutch last weekend so its just sitting there ready to go now! Might try and hook up for a quick sat ride soon!
Yeah a quick Saturday ride is something also want to do. I want to explore the glasshouse more and James wanted to show me some areas in there on his quad where I can improve on my general riding skills.

Doing that longer ride later in the year would suit me fine, I need time to get some more gear, better bags and some basic camping gear for starters

Best of luck with your sailing.
Wasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:44 AM   #39
BygDaddee OP
Where do I get a pie

Quote:
Is your mates place the one on the left at the end of your track on Jackson road, we went past there and hit the dead end, when we came back a guy was on the veranda White House on right by then. I gave him a bit if a wave but didn't get one back.

We couldn't find the road through from there and went back along the road past the mine and dam and about 10ks and found the dirt road down the mountain. I've got all the tracks up and back, ill email them.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:04 AM   #40
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWithMe View Post
Is your mates place the one on the left at the end of your track on Jackson road, we went past there and hit the dead end, when we came back a guy was on the veranda White House on right by then. I gave him a bit if a wave but didn't get one back.

We couldn't find the road through from there and went back along the road past the mine and dam and about 10ks and found the dirt road down the mountain. I've got all the tracks up and back, ill email them.
Sorry, should have told you that!! Jackson road is a dead end road! At the end of blacksnake road, you turn left to gympie (I think), right to jackson road.

If you were on they way back, and the white house on the road had a BIG fella on the verandah then yes, that would be my mate! He had some trouble with local kids on dirt bikes so may not be to friendly if you passed his house at speed! He is a nice bloke, but they dont get visitors often so they tend to be cautious.

If in doubt, jump of your bike and go ask them directions. Local people know the way to go, and are less suspicious if you tell them your plans!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:07 AM   #41
BygDaddee OP
Where do I get a pie

Quote:
Sorry, should have told you that!! Jackson road is a dead end road! At the end of blacksnake road, you turn left to gympie (I think), right to jackson road.

If you were on they way back, and the white house on the road had a BIG fella on the verandah then yes, that would be my mate! He had some trouble with local kids on dirt bikes so may not be to friendly if you passed his house at speed! He is a nice bloke, but they dont get visitors often so they tend to be cautious.
Left to kilkivan then Gumpie, we wanted to go via widgee. We met another great fella further down the road who gave us cold lemonade and directions.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #42
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Guys,
Do you mind if I ask what GPS you guys are using?
I've tried searching the Aus. Topics/threads but I am struggling to find recent & relevant info.
I use Sygic on the iPhone and iPad in the car but the combination of protective case and gloves for use on a Bike, well it's appearing quite clunky?
I'd prefer to get first hand users recommendations over Google any day.
Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated...
Thanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #43
BygDaddee OP
Where do I get a pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'NumNuts View Post
Guys,
Do you mind if I ask what GPS you guys are using?
I've tried searching the Aus. Topics/threads but I am struggling to find recent & relevant info.
I use Sygic on the iPhone and iPad in the car but the combination of protective case and gloves for use on a Bike, well it's appearing quite clunky?
I'd prefer to get first hand users recommendations over Google any day.
Any advice/suggestions would be much appreciated...
Thanks.
I use a Garmin Dakota 20 about 300 bucks including TOPO maps, it's fine for following someone's GPS tracks and managing waypoints etc, it also records and is easily transferable to PC for track and waypoint management, and is small and light. I run it off a 12 v socket, but 2 AA batteries last about 2 x 3/4 days rides if not pwered of 12v. It's main downfall it is a relatively small coloured screen and if your trying to look at maps to work out a route it can be a bit limited. The screen is excelent to read as your riding in the sun, but in the shade it can be a challenge and took a few glances some times. This was my first navigation by GPS trip with it and it did a great job, I am learning more about it as I go. You can see it mounted in a case on my handlebars, it's just an iPhone case cable tied on and I use the safety strap around the bar, but it's never looked like coming off.

Most of the the "big boys" use Garmin Montana, it has a bigger screen and lots more function 700 or 800 bucks I believe. For my local adventures the Dakota is all I need.

I also use my spot tracker carried in a case on my shoulder in my camel back, this is really just for peace of mind and for my family's to keep an eye on me. Especially as I do enjoy getting out on my own sometimes and that can be risky.

I'll probably get shot down by others with other opinions but that's my take on things at this stage and we all have preferences. it would be wise for you to post in a GPS thread from this point you will probably get more info out of that.

BygDaddee screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 07:52 PM
Old 12-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #44
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

:cheers
Old 12-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #45
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,917
GPS units preferred for bikes in order of price is Garmin 60CSX (some secondhand units out there) now superceded by Garmin 62CSX which has better image and memory and can bluetooth tracks. The best is as mentioned the Garmin montana, bigger screen better memory, it has a few minor issues that are all fixable and well documented. I used to have the 60CSX but recently upgraded to the Montana and love it.
If you have an I phone many have had good results with an app called mud maps.

Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote