User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #46
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 262
Thanks Andy,

I'm really happy with the Sygic iPhone App for gazetted roads- but it's definately no off-road explorer. I'm a Tradie so I use it daily for quotes, etc.

Mud Maps is definitely a step in the right direction and for $150- probably a good place to start....

Thanks for the heads-up guys- I'm happy with that for now. I might start with the mud-maps and see how long it takes to frustrate and annoy me...

Thanks!

Andrew.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:38 AM   #47
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
I use the Montana, but its a multi purpose unit for me, i have it loaded with topo maps, citi nvaigator and marine charts. Use it in the car, use it on the boat, use it on the DR, and used to use it on the Triumph Sprint until I just traded on the Tiger Explorer, which will also have a bracket for the Montana. Good unit, a few really annoying bugs though (the worst being the dreaded whitescreen). IF I was just using it for trail stuff, I would go with the 62csx. Montana is a too expensive.
Andy_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #48
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,892
With the Montana the main issue is where to mount it to isolate it from vibes.
I have packed the battery compartment with foam ear plugs and mounted in the dash of the rallye fairing with no issues so far.
Without the foam plugs and hanging on a vibey handlebar it will cut out and white screen.
Andy

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #49
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ponkin View Post
With the Montana the main issue is where to mount it to isolate it from vibes.
I have packed the battery compartment with foam ear plugs and mounted in the dash of the rallye fairing with no issues so far.
Without the foam plugs and hanging on a vibey handlebar it will cut out and white screen.
Andy
Yup, I had to use the ear plugs in the battery compartement too.

The white screen issue occurs when you power it up in the cradle after its previously turned itself off. Really, really annoying. Only way to fix it is to hold down the power button when uncradled.
Andy_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #50
Eric66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
I won a Samsung Galaxy 3 when I recharged me phone with Virgin, no point having a smart phone when I'm to dumb to use it, lucky I've got a 28ltr tank so I just keep riding till I pop out somewhere.
Regards Eric
Eric66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #51
Eddywoodgo
two wheeled nomad

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric66 View Post
I won a Samsung Galaxy 3 when I recharged me phone with Virgin, no point having a smart phone when I'm to dumb to use it, lucky I've got a 28ltr tank so I just keep riding till I pop out somewhere.
Regards Eric

cool thats my style to.
Eddywoodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #52
james928
oohh sidestand!!

Oddometer: 241
No crash.... No way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasca View Post
Mate, if I didn't put on a show every time I go for a ride no one would invite me. Sorry for using your bike as a stage prop
You crashing bikes.... no way!!

looks like you blokes had a good ride.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:19 AM   #53
BygDaddee OP
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,352
We liked the it so much we did the ride again

Did the overnight Gympie adventure ride again on Wed and Thur with a slightly different route.

Once we told Woopwoop we were coming he planned a great ride back via Brooya, Wrattens, Manumbar, Elginvale, Eastern Branch, Moore, Kilcoy, about 350k's door to door. For the trip up 320 k's we had Wasca and myself, and for the run home we had Myself, Wasca, Woopwoop and Buggerlugs.

By the time Wasca and I got here and Armamoor on Wed we were fried, it was so hot

The trip home on Thursday was much cooler

For Daves interest here is the spot that's 700 metre altitude. However there's another spot at 720 metres 10 Kms south of Elginvale.

Old Elginvale steam sawmill

Eastern Branch rd

No mark you can't take the rock the rolled out of the hill in the floods home.

BygDaddee screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 03:27 AM
BygDaddee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #54
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,135
Thanks for a great day out again fellas.

Paul, I'm still at a bit of a loss as to where that 700m alt. point is, but I found the 720.....or close to it. According to the topo map theres a point right on the track a bit south of Elgin Vale that's 740. That must be very close to the head of the Brisbane River.
woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #55
BygDaddee OP
Where do I get a pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by woopwoop View Post
Thanks for a great day out again fellas.

Paul, I'm still at a bit of a loss as to where that 700m alt. point is, but I found the 720.....or close to it. According to the topo map theres a point right on the track a bit south of Elgin Vale that's 740. That must be very close to the head of the Brisbane River.
Looks to me to be about 5k's back from Manumbar towards your way.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #56
Buggerlugs
n00b

Oddometer: 3

Here's my favourite photo of the day. Too bad it isn't in 3D as the views were quite spectacular.
Buggerlugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #57
BygDaddee OP
Where do I get a pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggerlugs View Post

Here's my favourite photo of the day. Too bad it isn't in 3D as the views were quite spectacular.
Why's it your favourite, because Wasca's upright ?

Just kidding, I can vouch for the fact Wasca did 1200 k's of adventure riding over 4 days and never fell off the KLR once that i know of, well done mate.

Of course I'm not counting his little indiscretion he had on the test ride of the DRZ, after all it was a tight spot getting up to that fuel bowser.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #58
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 262
Top photo
Old 01-07-2013, 04:55 AM   #59
GelandeRoadie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideWithMe View Post
Did the overnight Gympie adventure ride again on Wed and Thur with a slightly different route.

Once we told Woopwoop we were coming he planned a great ride back via Brooya, Wrattens, Manumbar, Elginvale, Eastern Branch, Moore, Kilcoy, about 350k's door to door. For the trip up 320 k's we had Wasca and myself, and for the run home we had Myself, Wasca, Woopwoop and Buggerlugs.
]
I have a day release for Saturday - so I am thinking of trying part of this route leaving from north Brisbane as a day ride. Thanks for sharing.

Are the roads in the photos a good guide for the whole route? I expect to be on my own and I am still learning the trade so I am wary of taking on too much and looking at BOM it seems it will be a hot day. Day releases not too forthcoming so I am not turning this one down!

Is it possible to cut across from Mt Stanley towards Jimna area to shorten the route if necessary? Or is it a case of "suck it up" & head for Manumbar? Of course, the other option is to return via same route - if progress is real slow.

600 odd tar k's in a day is not a problem - but not knowing where I am going is .

What are the fuel options up that way? I am on a 1200GS.

Thanks in advance for any info - if anyone cares to join in a relaxed (but hot - due to weather as opposed to riding skills) ride let me know.

Greg

GelandeRoadie screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 05:03 AM
GelandeRoadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #60
Eric66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
They are great roads and tracks but I would not ride alone, I've done most of these by myself and it is stupid, fun but still stupid.I've ridden for 2 hrs or more and not seen another person and if ya go over the side on some of these high country tracks no one will find you and there is no phone coverage most of the way. I'm sure you will find some riding buddies though so go and enjoy and take plenty of water.
Regards Eric
Eric66 is offline   Reply With Quote