User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 01:47 AM   #61
Lizard of Aus
Team Husky

Oddometer: 244
Hey GelandeRoadie,

Just did a 584k 1 dayer from kallangur to Kilkivan and return thru most of this area, some pretty sweet tracks but some of the ones i rode probably not suitable for the 1200. And like Eric66 said, not much out there, i saw noone (not counting Wildlife!) at all for approx 400ks or 7hrs!! They are good cruisy rds though at 40-50kph. You can link Eastern branch to Elginvale/Manumbar pretty easy and wouldn't think its too much to take it that way.

Fuel : depends on direction of travel, Wamuran BP or Diaguilar Matlida if coming from Caboolture.
Kilcoy has 2 servos.
East side of Kilcoy Murgon rd - Imbil is a good half way fill up but had no fuel left when i went thru, other options are Kenilworth BP, Kandanga is open till 7pm
West side - Yarraman and Nanango both have servos plus i think there is one on the way to Moore if your heading up thru Linville to East/Western branch rds.

Would join you for trek but its only been a week since I did my ride GPS Plot below

Lizard

Lizard of Aus screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 02:38 AM Reason: add GPS PLOT
Lizard of Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:49 AM   #62
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,763
Thanks RWM your a top banana

White pig

b0mb3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #63
pneumatic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I'd love to do some of these longer rides. I'd have a tough choice of bikes though, I have a stock 2012 DL650A Vstrom or my DRZ400E that's well set-up for dirt but no long range tank.

I kinda run the www.trailrideraustralia.com forums, and I wrote up a "dummies guide to GPS" there. It discusses the different maps available for Garmin units, I find the difference openstreetmap style maps very good. I have noticed some of them are asking for donations before download these days.
http://www.trailrideraustralia.com/v...p?f=452&t=3798

John McTainsh is a local rider who set-up a site for people to upload and share their GPS logs, there are quite a few QLD tracks up there. It would be good if some of you guys could upload your logs of the rides you've done so others can enjoy them too.
http://www.mctainsh.com/TrailShare/mapgm.aspx

I noticed there are also a lot of tracks of this area here;
http://transaustraliatrail.com.au

pneumatic screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 02:35 PM
pneumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #64
Andy_P
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic View Post
I've love to do some of these longer rides. I'd have a tough choice of bikes though, I have a stock 2012 DL650A Vstrom or my DRZ400E that's well set-up for dirt but no long range tank.

I kinda run the www.trailrideraustralia.com forums, and I wrote up a "dummies guide to GPS" there. It discusses the different maps available for Garmin units, I find the difference openstreetmap style maps very good. I have noticed some of them are asking for donations before download these days.
http://www.trailrideraustralia.com/v...p?f=452&t=3798

John McTainsh is a local rider who set-up a site for people to upload and share their GPS logs, there are quite a few QLD tracks up there. It would be good if some of you guys could upload your logs of the rides you've done so others can enjoy them too.
http://www.mctainsh.com/TrailShare/mapgm.aspx

I noticed there are also a lot of tracks of this area here;
http://transaustraliatrail.com.au
The DRZ would be more fun up there, but the DL will be more than capable, and probably a lot more comfortable. Not many options fuel wise, but the DRZ should do from kilkoy to kilkevan ok. Think I used 7 litres in the DR last time I did that run.
Andy_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 AM   #65
pneumatic
Adventurer

I took my 2012 Vstrom out to Mt Mee for a little test, it did a lot better than my old 2004 Vstrom did.

Short video;
www.youtube.com/watch?v=29uzhrkAZFw

Long version;
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMA8xk6ag4w
Old 01-09-2013, 04:04 AM   #66
GelandeRoadie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Thanks - decided to head south

Thanks Eric66 & Lizard for the info - I have managed to make contact with a mate down south so I will be heading down that way for the day. I hope to get up around this way another time.
GelandeRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:12 AM   #67
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 252
Pneumatic...

Old 01-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #68
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,687
http://www.trailrideraustralia.com/v...sharing+tracks

Hey pneumatic -
The ones who state they own glasshouse don't seem to like sharing much I

Beer'o'clock Baz screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 05:26 PM
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #69
pneumatic
Adventurer

Oh don't worry about those anti-GPS people, it's just a fear of the unknown for them

Some have left the site, some been banned. They are slowly getting used to the fact that not everyone wants to do large group "enduro" rides, and that some people like more of an exploring / recreational ride.

Many have the false believe that by posting GPS loops everyone will go out and ride that loop to death. But the opposite will happen, if there are 100+ loops to choose from then everyone will be riding different tracks and it would spread the crowd out more. Beerburrum gets wrecked by unregistered yobbos from Caboolture and surrounding areas.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #70
BygDaddee OP
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,321
Garmin Dakota GPS Mount

I have been asked by a couple of people about how I mount my GPS. it's a cheap iPhone soft clear cover pouch cable tied to my cross bar pad, this method is very cheap, secure and absorbs all the bumps and vibration. I just put the dakota safety strap around the bars but it has never come off anyway.

BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #71
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatic View Post
Oh don't worry about those anti-GPS people, it's just a fear of the unknown for them

Some have left the site, some been banned. They are slowly getting used to the fact that not everyone wants to do large group "enduro" rides, and that some people like more of an exploring / recreational ride.

Many have the false believe that by posting GPS loops everyone will go out and ride that loop to death. But the opposite will happen, if there are 100+ loops to choose from then everyone will be riding different tracks and it would spread the crowd out more. Beerburrum gets wrecked by unregistered yobbos from Caboolture and surrounding areas.
Thats very interesting what you have written maybe TRA has grown up abit
Yes the unregistered biked yobbo's will end up getting us all banned from there also , which won't harm them but the rest of us will be the ones that will suffer as usual

Beer'o'clock Baz screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 01:50 AM
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #72
Steve_C
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Some epic scenery and wide open spaces there. Tx for the pics
old farts off-road
Earplugs & Mouthguards no one ever reads this stuff
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #73
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,724
Going to head out through there tomorrow morning for a look around and see how some tracks got on.

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #74
BygDaddee OP
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Going to head out through there tomorrow morning for a look around and see how some tracks got on.

Look forward to that feedback Cruz.
BygDaddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #75
GMess
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Hey Cruz, got the patience for a companion? I am on leave and have been sweating on getting out. Energex got us power about a half hour ago so the genny has been shut down and I am free. Wasplanning on heading to Blackbutt toorrow to find a copy of Woopwoop's FlatEarth file.