Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #31
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 836
Found out about ADV on another forum... Can't remember which one, but there was a Harley bashing session going on and someone posted a link to RTWDoug's Magadan ride report as a way to make a point.

Was just a little while before my n00b self bought my first motorcycle. I read Doug's ride report then started to browse the site to see what helpful/interesting stuff there was to read about motorcycling in general... Well, this site has it in spades.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #32
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,381
I found out about ADV while googling information on a Wee strom. Then I ran into THIS???? and stuck around to see what would happen next. I should have ran instead,

Doc Lewall, one of the best ambassadors for dual sport riding you will ever meet.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #33
IgoFar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
First off, I've never been really big into the computer thing, I rarely ever ever got on it, and when i did, I didn't know what I was doing. Then I met Bloochdog. We worked at the same place, I was riding an RT at the time, and he had just gotten a GS, so naturally, we kind of hit it off. So, Bloochdog introduced me to the sight. At first, I just lurked around, for the simple reason, I didn't know how to post. So ,blooch helped me get set up, and here I am. My computer skills have improved some, but not much.
IgoFar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #34
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,108
I was on one of the KLR forums, and got real tired of just reading about fricken' doohickeys and not riding. I posted so in (probably not so) nice words, and someone suggested this place. I've owned a bunch of different bikes over the years, from harleys to scooters to dirt bikes and really liked how the different types of bikes mingle around here, so stayed.
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #35
augerdin
I do my own crashing

Oddometer: 89
I found this site in early 2005 when I was flying alot around the country. I worked as an airtanker pilot working the wildfires thruout the west and lived in a different hotel in a different town almost every night for seven months of the year, every year. Found it by accident. In early 06 I crashed my VFR and was on serious recouperation and out of work so I lurked everyday for months. Finaly signed up a year or so ago - I think. ADV has been for me a source of inspiration to get out and just ride. The people on this site are also inspiring with their willingness to share whatever is needed be it hands on help or knowledge sharing thru a posting. Three and a half years ago when I was ill and the Docs gave me two years to live this site rekindled some old riding dreams I had so I said I aint checking out yet, too much to do. I dont have enough strength to do any off road riding but I can ride the street and I do as much as I can. Mostly day rides, nothing epic, but at least I am riding. So I thank the people who started this site and I appreciate all you demented yet stellar peeps who inspire me to keep going just by being you and doing what you do. ADV therapy cures what ails ya. ( Doesnt cure bad spelling or grammar)
augerdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #36
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,720
A friend turned me onto it when I was looking for info. for a TX to AK and back ride 5 years ago. Favorite site on my computer.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #37
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
probably over 75% of the first folks were from MRN. They either got sent to Band Camp or just got tired of the micro managing. I can tell you one thing for sure, this place isn't ANYTHING like the first couple of years it was in existance! I'm not sure if that is for the better or not Gerg
I had a 99RT and had just bought an 01GS. Fish got booted off MRN and we all came over here. Didn't join for several months because I was online at work. It's been one hell of a ride
05-GS- Rock Red 92k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #38
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Joined in 2008 after a buddy from Ninja250.org kept talking about the local TOR game. Got me hooked and about the same time sold my ninjette and bought a DL650 so this place had more info. I still blame many bad things on TOR.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #39
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikeboy View Post
I think I got linked here from the largest 4 wheeled off road site. Probably a crazier asylum than this place, and lots of crossover membership. All hail PBB.

It would have been natural for me to have come here from Pirate but I didn't. I kinda know (met, really) UglyPrimate and thought I'd check out the forums.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #40
SkiFastBadly OP
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
BTW.....when's the last time you got a chance to ski fast as badly as we know you can.......
Been awhile. After living ten minutes from The Canyons, the idea of driving an hour and a half to ski seems ridiculous. I know, I'm spoiled. On the other hand, I'm riding year round now. So it worked out. And a Merry Christmas to you and the rest of the Utards.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #41
drrider1
just running amuck

Oddometer: 398
tripped over it and became addicted................
drrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #42
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Had read a website talking about some trail across the states , Im a jeeper so I was interested in new places to ride and ended up here after searching the TAT . After lurking for a couple of years I joined to ask some questions and some how another ended up with a motorcycle a couple years later This place gets to you after a while lol
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #43
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
I dun met me sum inmates who led me astray.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #44
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Like many here I started "adventuring" in a Jeep. That got expensive and took up alot of room that I don't have since moving a couple of years ago, I was already riding (Honda Shadow) but when I decided to stop off-roading the Jeep I got a KLR 650. I first heard about this place on a KLR 650 forum I used to frequent. At the time I was doing some light adventure riding and was interested in doing more. I've since traded the KLR for a Versys and don't really do any or have any near plans of "adventure" riding.
I just bought a new house, can't get rid of the old one and recently started a new job so "adventure" riding has been put on the back burner. I use the motorcycle mainly for commuting now, it's a tool. I don't hang here much now simply because what I do with the motorcycle and what most people here do are two different things. I've found that my priorities are different than they used to be and they are different than the norm here. It's taken me awhile to figure out WHY my point of view is different than most here. I'm simply looking at it from another angle I think.

ray h screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 09:28 PM
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #45
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikeboy View Post
I think I got linked here from the largest 4 wheeled off road site. Probably a crazier asylum than this place, and lots of crossover membership. All hail PBB.
Same here.

I've quit going to other forums. Between here and PBB everything is covered.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote