Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #61
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,966
I finished cancer treatment and realized I needed to be having more fun. So I took the MSF course and bought a Harley Heritage Softail. Say what you will about Harley's, but I loved that bike. I rode it all over creation, but kept seeing roads I couldn't go down. I did take it on gravel roads that I had no business being on, but finally realized I needed something else. I bought a Buell Ulysses. It was (a) too tall, and (b) left me by the side of the road three times in the space of two months. And the last time was the last straw since the ECM was back-ordered for six weeks. Bye, bye, Buell. Then I bought a Vstrom and joined Stromtroopers. Which led me here. Which led me to a WR250R.

This place is an amazing community. People are kind and supportive. I've learned a ton about working on bikes. The photography is jaw-dropping at times. The ride reports help me dream of adventures I may never get to take, then again I might. I've made a lot of friends through here. Met my SO through here.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #62
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 220
Cool2 Peer pressure, I say!

The back of Motorcycle Consumer News lists events, and I showed up at the RMAR Rendezvous in Silverton, having almost no experience in off-pavement riding. Had a blast, but kept getting asked what my ADV Rider handle was. Got tired of explaining that I had no idea what people were talking about, so I checked it out and have been addicted ever since.

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #63
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,884
I bought a 2000, KTM, 400LC4e, I really didn't know much about the bike at the time. A little Googlefu on the subject and BAM! The LC4 thread is in my face. After I digested all that info, I made my way out into the rest of the site. FYYFF's!!
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #64
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
I was looking at something for my 990 adv, in th OC. I find it really interesting, different opinions from all around the world, a great site!
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #65
bbagwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
A friend told me about it. I had just got my first bike, Yamaha TW200.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #66
Wild Pig
Looks like avatar.

Oddometer: 81
Listening to someone on another bike forum constantly complain about this place. Said it was full of idiots, perverts, and blasphemers. Sounded like my kind of people so I came right over and for the last few years ADV, and especially JM, has taught me everything I ever wanted to know about anything.

"You pass through places, and places pass through you."

Wild Pig screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 12:01 PM Reason: spell fu
Wild Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:22 AM   #67
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,758
Sold some gun parts off another forum, guy turned out to live about a mile from me, be one of my customers, adn a fellow rider who told me about this site. Small world. I've changed jobs and he's still one of my customers, and a great guy.
Hi Travis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Pig View Post
...full of idiots, perverts, and blasphemers. Sounded like my kind of people...
He didn't tell me that part, but he did tell me about the HOW, and while I had my 990 it was a valuable resource.

Oh, and Happy New Year to all you FFs!

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:14 AM   #68
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,996
I've been expecting this answer:

"Me and my Bros was a-walkin' along one day we look down and spy this steamin' roach on th' ground and here we is...."

Have a great New Year!!!

--Bill
Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #69
RockinTheRVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I came across Adv multiple times while searching for various motorcycle related things. I noticed the awesome sense of community here and became a long-time lurker. Life's pretty busy now, but I love to read about others' journeys and dream about making my own.

It wasn't til I was able to put together an RR of my own that I felt like I could really join and contribute. With one Blue Ridge trip under my belt, I can say I have a taste of what it's all about. Can't wait to make/share more memories with you folks. Meanwhile, keep the awesome RR's coming!

RockinTheRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #70
effensteve
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 589
I stumbled onto one of Colebatch's ride reports, sucked me right in.
effensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #71
Trondomatic
To infinity and beyond...

Oddometer: 112
I hate to admit it, but I blame Ewan and Charlie. I was off work a couple of months with a broken arm from mountain biking and a friend lent me the Long Way Round DVD set. It didn't take me long to find ADV afterwards.

As much as we love to make fun of their crew-supported journey, I know it fired up the imagination of at least this guy. And they, like Adventure Rider, inspired me to travel the world too. For that, I'm grateful. Thanks all!
Trondomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #72
Vankaye
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 216
I was a regular poster over in the suzuki two-stroke forum at ThumperTalk. I followed a link or two and became hooked. To be honest - it was the overwhelming support of ATGATT that got me to come back again and again.
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #73
Tebpac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Convinced....

After riding my Suzuki cruiser for 2+ years with guys on Ducati's and BMW's (and always being last in line on a ride), I decided to look into the GS/Mulitstrada regime. Multiple test rides and the realization that I missed some packed dirt riding made me choose the GS. The Multistrada made me do bad things! Plus I felt the GS a better fit for me considering some of the trails/roads I wanted to ride. Started looking up sites for the GS. Found this site and the rest is history. Lots of great info here and turned a "what the hell does that wrench do" guy into a "I can do that" wrencher.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #74
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
I found a coupon for it in a pound of bacon that I bought.
Best Answer...EVAR!
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #75
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,387
I had a Honda XLV750, a pretty rare bike, and was roaming the internet for anything on the bike, and came across ADVRider not long after it started. I've seen it grow and expand, and there is always something here for me no matter what bike I ride.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote