User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
davidji OP
bike curious

Oddometer: 971
one piece commute suit. choices?

What are the one piece commute suit choices? Nothing less than 500d Cordura need apply and no polyester shells.

Aerostich Roadcrafter
Motoport ?
Olympia Stealth
Teiz ?

Tried on Roadcrafter today. Didn't find my size, but I found the one they recommended based on my measurements was too small. And I didn't find it as fast/easy to put on or off as I'd hoped. Maybe I'd get used to it? Not sure if there was much advantage over the 2 piece textile I wear now. I was hoping to save a minute or so a few times a day with less gear to fiddle with.

I definitely haven't ruled out a Roadcrafter, but I'm wondering what the other choices are and what you find fastest to put on or take off over your work clothes.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,344
For commuting, I know of no equal to my 1pc Roadcrafter. For anything else, I wear my 2pc Motoport mesh Kevlar suit.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
Once you get used to it, it should take about 20 seconds to put on the roadcrafter - it's not a perfect suit for all conditions, but commuting is where it shines. That would be my choice.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,047
the RC breaks in a bit overtime and becomes faster to don/doff.

if you are unsure about sizing call/email aerostich, take pictures of you in an RC that is close sitting on your bike in the riding position

they'll get you where you need to go.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,264
How about the 2 piece road crafter. The top and the bottom can be worn separately, but also zipped together and worn like a 1 piece road crafter. Seems to me the best of both worlds.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
timspong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
I love my firstgear suit. Doesn't leak and its very warm and fits me well. Too hot for above 55 degrees, but anything below and it's great. I have ridden in the teens no problem and have done weekend 19hr riding plus in 30-40 degree weather no problem. Btw I ride all winter in the north east and its only the purchase of this suit that makes it possible. It is also comparatively inexpensive
timspong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
racer1735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
I purchased an Olympia Stealth last month in hopes that it would be the 'hot' weather suit I'm needing for riding in Texas. I've only worn it a handful of times to this point, but haven't found any downsides to it. It definitely flows the air (rode during our first 90 degree day and I literally wasn't sweating).

You will have to buy used (or new 'old stock') as Olympia has discontinued the suit. Motorcycle Superstore has them, as do a few other online places. I bought mine from an individual, new without tags.
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,327
In my latest Aerostich catalogue there was a 'Roadcrafter Light' in the front cover.

Like a big, heavy Aerostich, but unlined and 2 lbs. (IIRC) lighter.

Even made me open my eyes and I live in my Darien jacket and pants.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
How about the 2 piece road crafter. The top and the bottom can be worn separately, but also zipped together and worn like a 1 piece road crafter. Seems to me the best of both worlds.
I had a 2 pc RC. I thought it was the worst of both worlds. Takes longer to put on. The pants are no good for wearing by themselves when you stop and want to take the jacket off. The extra material from where the jacket and pants overlap bunches up in your crotch when you're on the bike.

At least, that's why I sold mine and got a 1pc. Of course, YMMV.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
davidji OP
bike curious

re. the 2 piece Roadcrafter, I agree. I tried that on first, not realizing until it was on that it was the 2 piece. Too much bulk in the middle. Too short in the torso as well though the 1 piece of the same size was not.

I did check with Aerostich for sizing, and when I tried the recommended size, it turned out that it was too small. I wasn't able to find out what size actually was the best/closest fit in a 1-piece Roadcrafter.

If I could put on or take off a Roadcrafter in 20-seconds it would be great. With practice it seems possible.

Are the sleeves big enough for you to tuck your glove gauntlets in when it rains? Is the passthrough for heated gear power standard or an extra?

Roadcrafter Light is definitely not on the list. 200d Cordura.

My surprise when trying on the gear was the Transit pants. I don't think any of the Transit jackets was a good fit, but the pants were easily the best overpants I've tried on. Admittedly that's a short list, as I've mostly shopped for regular (not over) pants/trousers in the past. But I think they're great overpants, and more protective than what I wear now.

davidji screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 02:20 PM
Old 03-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
davidji OP
bike curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1735 View Post
I purchased an Olympia Stealth last month in hopes that it would be the 'hot' weather suit I'm needing for riding in Texas.
Thanks. I guess their current commute suit is the Oddysey, and apparently there's no pass though for heated gear. I think I picked the wrong one with the Stealth in my list. Didn't realize that was their mesh suit.

davidji screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 03:07 PM
Old 03-17-2013, 02:17 PM   #12
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
commute suit

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp/wcs/s...uickView=false

Carhartt!!! 1000 denier and the price is right. Go to any construction site and most of the jackets and coveralls will be Carhartt, it's tough. Shop the internet for the best deals.
I run my heated gear wires out the bottom of the main zipper.I have an extra set of wires and just leave them there, rather then feeding them out all the time. Putting on coveralls is just practice,but, if you get them to tight they are much harder to get on over your shoulder. For colder riding get some velcro straps to keep drafts from getting in the leg cuffs.

S/W screwed with this post 03-17-2013 at 02:25 PM
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,491
Plus if you are near SF , Aerostitch is having a roadshow there for a couple of weeks .
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:27 PM   #14
Goldburg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I wore a Fieldsheer Transit suit for a season before it shrunk unexpectedly in the wasit area. It was a decent commuting suit for cold weather. i had no complaints. It's not in the same $$ as the roadcrafter...
Old 03-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
Dave2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
Stich. Roadcrafter. Commute. Monday through Friday. Visit clients during the day. On. Off. On. Off. On. Off. On. Off. Week in. Week out. Doesnt leak. Easy on and off. Five years now. Sent it to be refreshed once - velcro mostly.
Great for camping.
Stop at resturaunt - take it all off in a second. Cable lock to bike along with helmet.
AND the cutting edge or retro look of CBT's with shorts. Desert rats or Afrika Corp.

K1200RS 04
KLR 650 08
Dave2 is offline   Reply With Quote