User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #31
Aleeoop70
EX-MX Adv Tourist

Oddometer: 95
Specialized grip heater gloves

Snow mobiles/machines and motorcycles have been around long enough with heated grips that it seems someone should have thought to create gloves that have the usual boxing glove like insulation on the back but have thin material on the palms so more heat from the grips would actually be transferred to one's hands. I have looked for gloves like this for years with no real success. Has anyone seen gloves designed to work with heated grips?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #32
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie bolted View Post
I wear TOURMASTER WINTER ELITE gloves,warm to the low 30's even warmer with a liner.

+1 on Winter Elites. Unfolding & using the waterproof "over glove" makes them even more effective. That said, heated grips are always on the bike, even those cold nights when the Tourmasters are hanging up back in the garage. I've gone out on many a summer's day, 80°+ and humid. Returning late at night through dense New Hampshire forest at 55° in mesh gloves is where the HotGrips come into their own.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #33
OkieTom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
The key here is heated grips WITH a set of wind deflectors and light weight gloves, if you keep the wind off of your hands you will be surprised how little heat it takes to be warm. I have ridden for over 800 miles in temps that never got over 35 degrees with no problems. Just be sure that if you on going on a long ride be sure to carry a good pair of winter gloves just in case you loose your heated grips....
OkieTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #34
daysgoneby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleeoop70 View Post
Snow mobiles/machines and motorcycles have been around long enough with heated grips that it seems someone should have thought to create gloves that have the usual boxing glove like insulation on the back but have thin material on the palms so more heat from the grips would actually be transferred to one's hands. I have looked for gloves like this for years with no real success. Has anyone seen gloves designed to work with heated grips?
Like these http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/r...-2-in-1-gloves
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:33 PM   #35
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Heated grips are the way to go. For one, if you want more/less heat, you just turn them up/down/off. No pulling over to swap gloves, and you don't have to wait for your body heat to warm the gloves up. I personally have pretty poor blood flow (or something) and am quite skinny, so winter gloves just don't do it for me. I keep 2 pairs of gloves on the bike, and heated grips. That way I've got plenty of options.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #36
writerrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Heated grips, gloves, and hand guards

Have heated grips, BMW winter gloves, and hand guards on my GS ADV. In Denver I've gone down to 25 degrees and my hands were warm but the tips of my thumbs were way cold. My guess is that the wind is rolling underneath the guards and chilling the thumb tips, which tend to stick out and down. Still looking for that perfect pair of winter gloves that keep the thumb tips warm. Anyway, like others have said, grips are great because you can turn them on and off with ease. I've never used heated gloves.
writerrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #37
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,846
I've always powered through the cold thinking heated grips weren't worth it. That is until I got a bike with them. Will never ever ever have a bike without them again.

Even in those cool summer nights (55-60 degrees here) I use them.

Have had heated gloves for work and skiing....kinda a pain in the ass. Grips are much much better.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:21 PM   #38
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
I've always powered through the cold thinking heated grips weren't worth it. That is until I got a bike with them. Will never ever ever have a bike without them again.

Even in those cool summer nights (55-60 degrees here) I use them.

Have had heated gloves for work and skiing....kinda a pain in the ass. Grips are much much better.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+ 2
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #39
Need For Speed
Ridin' fool(ishly)

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfox View Post
I'm not sure what you suggest I should look for on ebay motors, but yes I do see the heaters that have just a thin heating element. They seem to just come with an on/off switch. I think it would be a lot better to have a few levels of heat to choose from. Can I add a controller to these? Also, how difficult is the installation from start to finish? I've never worked on a bike before.
I have run the cheap heating elements with hi and lo - high is always too high, and lo is always too low I do find myself liking the 4 settings that the Oxfords offer.

I run Oxford Heaterz on all my bikes now, that and some moderately insulated gloves takes care of my hands during our winters. I ride down into the low 30's/ upper 20's with this set up.

These are the ones I run: http://lockitt.com/AccessoriesGrips3.htm#oxhg Easy install - probably 3/10 in difficulty. Hardest part is rigging up to switched power and maybe doing some light sanding on throttle tube/handlebar, to get the new grips to slide on.

YMMV
'13 ZX14R - fulfiller of adrenaline needs
It's the journey, NOT the destination
Need For Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #40
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Heated Grips or gloves

I have the heated grips on my F800 and they have worked fine with gloves and handguards but with that said, there were times the backs of my hands were really cold even with grips on high.. I got a pair of the Gerbings microwire T5 gloves and love them.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #41
daysgoneby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
I have the heated grips on my F800 and they have worked fine with gloves and handguards but with that said, there were times the backs of my hands were really cold even with grips on high.. I got a pair of the Gerbings microwire T5 gloves and love them.
I have these for longer rides along with the heated liner and this is the best setup, it's really nice to be able to adjust temps for your hands and body independently. I also have heated grips and bush guards on my bike, on short rides I don't bother with the heated gear but if I was to choose one over the other I'd take the heated gloves over heated grips and winter gloves.
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #42
sweetlou
small body, big balls

Oddometer: 1,064
Heated grips.

I just installed them on my Ninja 1000.

The best - a cool evening you get caught in the rain. Where are your winter/heated gloves? Home because you forgot them and did not think it was going to rain.

Flip the heated grip switch on. You never forget that.

Lou

[2009 KTM 250 XCW(e)]

[2004 KTM 525EXC] - Sumo build
sweetlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #43
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Oddometer: 6,189
I would recommend going to a snowmobile stealership and looking at the gloves they got there. I have gloves made for the heated grips. I was told they were for warmer weather... I use them on our coldest nights in the dead of winter and rarely use the heated grips, only the heated thumb. I guess the only draw back is that is it writen SKI DOO in big bold yellow letters.

Good luck