Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #151
EddieMac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Years Ago View Post
I'm guessing that your English class at Tallahassee Community College was a little short on fundamentals.
Quotations are for terrorists. Why do you hate freedom?
EddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #152
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Last few posts drifting off topic.....
duncanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #153
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Years Ago View Post
I'm guessing that your English class at Tallahassee Community College was a little short on fundamentals.

Someone's been wheezing the juh-uice......Oops, sorry..."wheezing the juh-uice."

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 AM   #154
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Only a Fool.....

The Transport Accident Commission of the State of Victoria, Australia, spends some of our money trying to frighten us off our bikes. They produce graphic videos, some of which are really misleading, implying that in accidents, bikers are mainly at fault.

The attached video is not representative of the majority and I rather object to the government spending money on the minority who are dumb-stoopid in their determined efforts to eliminate themselves from the gene pool. Still, it does show how NOT to lane split.

If you are at all squeamish, do not watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTXF179g6zg
Old 02-12-2013, 03:41 AM   #155
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Having ridden, and split lanes, in about 15 countries, I was kind of surprised that it is a controversial topic, and illegal in much of the USA.

Here in Phuket, Thailand, the lane splitting police would have a field day.... if anybody could be bothered stopping to be booked. There is little enforcement of anything, other for than those who obligingly stop, sans helmet and / or documentation, at check points set up by the police when tea stocks are running low. A lot of people just ride on through.

But back to the topic; I "filter" at round town speeds, but on the open road I go with the flow.

Strictly speaking here in Thailand, motorcycles are required to stay on the inside (left hand) lane of the road, nearest the kerb. It is a law that is not much enforced, outside Bangkok. In Phuket "Somchai's rules" apply; everybody goes anywhere...... hard to fathom at first, but after a bit you realise that there is a bit a pattern, and run with it.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 04:12 AM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #156
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac View Post
?..I rather object to the government spending money on the minority who are dumb-stoopid in their determined efforts to eliminate themselves from the gene pool...

I too applaud morons self-culling.

Not sure if the waste of tax dollars bothers me as much as TAC's over-the-top approach to safety adverts.

Of course, they're not MY tax dollars, are they?

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:34 AM   #157
yuu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Hopefully not a repost

CHP recently, finally, posted guidelines for splitting

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

As noted, only applies in California. Splitting any place else in the US is asking to chat with a LEO
Old 02-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #158
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
The Transport Accident Commission of the State of Victoria, Australia, spends some of our money trying to frighten us off our bikes. They produce graphic videos, some of which are really misleading, implying that in accidents, bikers are mainly at fault.

The attached video is not representative of the majority and I rather object to the government spending money on the minority who are dumb-stoopid in their determined efforts to eliminate themselves from the gene pool. Still, it does show how NOT to lane split.

Actually I don't think this video is all that objectionable -- it's just a visual way of saying 'don't be a dumbass.' The downside is the possibility that it conveys a message to drivers that all motorcyclists are riding like this.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #159
EddieMac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:

How in the world did that guy crash his bike at the end of the video? His bike was vertical, he wasn't navigating a curve, and he wasn't struck. Nevertheless, his bike suddenly goes haywire and he gets ejected into the neighboring lane. Maybe his forks failed or something equally catastrophic. Hmm. Maybe he was struck by the vehicle doing the filming?
EddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:07 AM   #160
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
How in the world did that guy crash his bike at the end of the video?
Well if it was real, he would be in the running for a Darwin Award
Old 03-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #161
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
In Phuket "Somchai's rules" apply; everybody goes anywhere...... hard to fathom at first, but after a bit you realise that there is a bit a pattern, and run with it.
That sounds like downtown Monterey after the MotoGP races. Loads of fun to be in a motorcycle free for all, but dangerous as hell.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #162
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Interesting Study from Belgium.

This should be compulsory reading for regulators around the world.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-everyone.html
Old 07-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #163
klavdy
Truth Is Eternal

Oddometer: 888
G'Day Mate, sounds like you're getting routed, eh?
I'll never trust that prick.
I go over to the States a lot, even keep a bike there in Southern California.

I've ridden all over the place,

from one coast to the other

and lane split in every single state I've been in with no real worries whatsoever from cops or fuckwit drivers.
You just need to slip past them before they are even aware.
I have, however, had the odd run in with idiotic Pirates, but that's only been at roadworks, everywhere else, just ride assertively and you'll have no worries.
They roads are unbelievably good,

you think the spurs or back Eildon road are good?

Mate, you've got a treat in store.

Plus, the cops in most places are more concerned with keeping the traffic flowing rather than a bullshit couple KM's over ticket like in Vic.
The traffic goes a hell of a lot quicker than Oz too, it's fantastic to be able to sit on 130-140-150 + for hours on end with near absolutely no concern about being ticketed.

Right lane is the slow lane.

I was getting passed, even had a cop car pass me,startling to an Aussie to have a cop car pass you while both of you are doing well over the posted limit.

Doing 156 kmh in many Australian states would see you walking for six months, your bike seized and thousands of dollars in fines,even lengthy jail time.
It's insane.

America is truly a beautiful country, it's got utterly superb scenery ,

magnificent roads, some of the most friendly and hospitable people you'll ever meet and it's cheap to travel.
Weather can be diverse as well,

Mexican food is your friend, small family run places rock for healthy, tasty ets, B.B.Q places are wonderful too.
Oh, pumping gas can be a hassle if you don't have a U.S Bank issued Credit/Debit card, our ones also rack up a currency conversion fee too.
Get a "Best Western" rewards card, you'll get free rooms every thirdnight or so, take a smart phone with you and buy one of those no contract sim cards with unlimited data, they are about $40 for a month but well worth it,you can then set SKYPE up to forward Aussie your calls to that phone and vice versa, don't even bother taking duty free grog or smokes unless you want to take Bundy Rum or something, you can buy piss so cheap over there, $22 for 1.75 litres of Stolly vodks, $25 or less for a carton of Coronas which near every damn servo sells too.
Watch yourself when you pull out of car parks at shopping centres etc,you'll have to sort of plan your moves as they ride and drive on the incorrect side of the road, it's easy to momentarily forget that at times, plus the traffic lights etc are in different positions to what we are used to.
You'll see odd road signs too, one particularly disconcerting one is "OIL ON ROAD"
That just means they have spread fresh tar stuff on the road, seals it you see, nice and smooth.

The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the govt is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.

klavdy screwed with this post 07-13-2013 at 08:45 PM
klavdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #164
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,258
Interesting to see an Aussie's perspective of the US!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #165
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Interesting to see an Aussie's perspective of the US!

Jim
Agreed. I was just thinking that myself.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote