Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #31
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Lane splitting is only a 1 point fine in Maryland. It is a 3 point ticket if you get in an accident while doing it.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #32
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
I split almost every day around here. I don't recommend it. I've had to break a few more laws to get away from the vigilantes trying to chase me down and educate me on the law. I've been squeezed and bumped by cars. You keep moving and don't engage them and you're usually alright, but once a year i get some guy so mad about me filtering he takes to the ditch to pursue me.

You do it in these parts and you will have trouble with the general public. I choose to do it anyway.

Never once been stopped for it. Then again the cops around here have a no chase policy for bikes and probably figured i wasn't worth the time of lighting me up. Not that i would have ran anyway.

As other people in this thread have said if you're worried about lane splitting on a cross country trip, you're going to the wrong fucking places man.
Mgbgt89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #33
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
passing on double yellow is legal in Vermont
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #34
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty Years Ago View Post
IMHO not using a turn signal is not only dangerous but qualifies you as a "self-entitled asshole".

Here in Southern California we have a very large immigrant population from all over the world and I believe they have brought their chaotic driving habits with them. Unfortunately, the native drivers have now adopted these habits.

It is truly frightening to drive here. You take your life in your hands any time you go out on the road.
I always found that SoCal drivers were fast, professional, and no-nonsense. I loved riding there. It's the only place I've seen where no one tries to jump the line where two lanes merge. It's very orderly. It may be in part to the "armed populace is a polite populace" mindset, but it worked for me.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #35
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I always found that SoCal drivers were fast, professional, and no-nonsense. I loved riding there. It's the only place I've seen where no one tries to jump the line where two lanes merge. It's very orderly. It may be in part to the "armed populace is a polite populace" mindset, but it worked for me.
That's the way is is here in L.A.. I suggest that all the people who think California drivers are bad go visit another large city. Boston for example is especially bad when it comes to merging and Miami drivers are random and unpredictable. In downtown Boston I had a scooter driver pass on the right while I was turning right, and 100 yards later do a u-turn from the curb just as I passed. Yeah, I hit him. Kucking fnucklehead
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #36
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Thanks

Gentlemen (and any incognito ladies)

I am a little overwhelmed by the number of responses. Thank you all. (This thread is not yet closed - we only start our trip in July)

I am truly thankful for the practical advice received and the humorous language in which some of it has been delivered. It has been really helpful and taken on board. The fundamental approaches to the issue would seem to be: Common sense rules, be careful and be considerate. Finally, watch out for those who consider themselves more entitled than others.

A general response to some of the comments made:

The proposed route (not even nearly finalised) is designed to avoid big cities. We will visit national parks, battlefields etc and get to see small town America, which is what too many visitors miss out on. So the need to filter should be minimal but it is something I do here in Australia and is the way I ride, hence my question. (It is illegal in Australia, but enforcement is sporadic.)

While I think of it, we do need to drive through Toronto and a view on the situation in Ontario would be appreciated.

The comment about filtering in places like Yellowstone did strike a chord, hence my comment above about being considerate.

Turn indicators being optional? That is scary! Human beings are not normally prescient.

And I will brush up on my accent!!

Thank you once again. Safe riding and a Happy New Year.
duncanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #37
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,684
Toronto can be a problem on the 401 during the morning and evening rush hours. Chicago is horrendous no matter what time it is. Here in the Detroit area, it's not bad.

If you'll be carrying a small laptop, get and install the DeLorme Street Atlas USA Plus program. It's updated every year, and has a ton of information in addition to the detailed maps. If you're looking for a place to stay or eat or anything else, it's in there and searchable for the area you are in. It also has a GPS function, but you will need to get the edition that comes with a plug in GPS antenna. With this, you'll never be lost. http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...minisite=10020
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #38
Coastalcop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
Where did that happen? I seriously doubt that was on the up and up if it happened the the US.

If he was in a "Non-Compact" State its very likely he was taken before the mag (judge) to pay the fine dressed as a "Bond" to ensure a court appearance.

There are still a few states that dont subscribe to "violators compact" which is a reciprical agreement between states to enforce drivers records, fines and warrants for traffic violations. Those that arent members have no real recourse once you are out of state lines so they want to get some assurance you will appear in court/pay the fine and will take you directly to the ATM or judge.

Odd bit of additional info but in Texas you can be arrested and placed in jail for ANY offense of the traffic code EXCEPT open container in a vehicle and speeding . And if you refuse to sign the citation these are open to "Instanter" (placing you in jail pending seeing the judge which can take from a couple of hours to a couple of days) .

While MOST of us arent pricks, please keep in mind that any vocation invites a few folks with delusions of power (Who shouldnt be in this business, but the Psych checks apparently missed them) so please be mindful that courtesy is a two way street, and can pay huge dividends.

Thread Hijack over aside from advise for any traveller to Texas.

Never confuse getting lucky with good tactics.... unless you are at the bar
Coastalcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #39
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Ah... The Peepul's Republik of Kalifornia doesn't much like armed citizenry these days. That may explain the difference in what you remember and what others report...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:59 AM   #40
RedReplicant
whynot

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Ever been in Vegas or Phoenix in the summer? You'll die if you just sit in traffic, it's expected but illegal, filter/split.
I've been riding Phoenix daily for 20 years... never filtered. People here already drive crazy enough.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #41
Muncle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
What's with all of the "Americans are all self-entitled assholes on the highway" crap? I live/drive/ride on the west coast and find that other road users are, for the most part, quite polite. Don't impose your own asshole-ness on others.

The one thing you need to be aware of when riding in the US is that many drivers/riders consider turn signals "optional" - unlike a lot of other countries where you might actually get a ticket for not using them.
After attending the 2012 International Motorcycle Show in Seattle I feel a little different than Duck. The wife and I left the show on a Friday evening and it took us a hour to go from the Washington Convention Center to I-5. That is a grand distance of about four blocks to get lined up for the on ramp. Traffic was heavy but the big problem was the drives that would "block the intersection" to make sure they would move up one spot. We would often watch the signal light change twice before the cross traffic could move again. I did not witness those polite drives that Duck was telling us about.
Muncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #42
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle View Post
After attending the 2012 International Motorcycle Show in Seattle I feel a little different than Duck. The wife and I left the show on a Friday evening and it took us a hour to go from the Washington Convention Center to I-5. That is a grand distance of about four blocks to get lined up for the on ramp. Traffic was heavy but the big problem was the drives that would "block the intersection" to make sure they would move up one spot. We would often watch the signal light change twice before the cross traffic could move again. I did not witness those polite drives that Duck was telling us about.
That is an event situation.

Why didn't you just split lanes and ride away? Surely you didn't DRIVE to a motorcycle show.

Welcome to the Asylum
Old 12-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #43
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post
That's the way is is here in L.A.. I suggest that all the people who think California drivers are bad go visit another large city.
That's been my experience too. The problem with LA is wayyyyyy too many people and cars, but they deal with it and handle it better than anywhere else I have been. Go to an East coast city, that has the equivalent traffic of say the 101 in Hollywood during rush hour, , and you will see screaming, yelling, horn honking, people frothing at the mouth, people cutting each other off, and of course plenty of ADV salutes!
khager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #44
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
That is an event situation.
The event being "Friday".

Quote:
Why didn't you just split lanes and ride away? Surely you didn't DRIVE to a motorcycle show.
Hey, didn't see you there at all.

We drove. Dogs, kennels, etc. and all.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #45
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac View Post
And I will brush up on my accent!!

Thank you once again. Safe riding and a Happy New Year.
Lay it on thick. The thicker the better. Them damn ferrners don't know shit-nuthin ya know!

Bonus points (and maybe one less ticket) if you can bring up 'shrimp on the barbie' or other Aussie colloquialism that 'Outback restaurants' have made popular. Most small town cops have at least seen an Outback commercial whether they've eaten there or not.

Riding on the road's shoulder is somehow especially an egregious sin. Expect to have cars/trucks pull out and try and stop you from doing it.

In CO just north of Denver, there's usually a frontage road next to the interstate. Don't let a cop see you going over the grass strip between em. While I haven't been popped, I've seen the results of trying.

M