Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 04:57 AM   #121
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
You can thank the current administration in Washington for providing earmarked funds for motorcycle checkpoints.

You are consistently AWESOME!!!
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #122
jfurf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
I lane filter all the time here in Atlanta. The worst that has ever happened is a few honks from drivers here and there. The Atlanta and Dekalb (metro) police seem more or less ok with it. The state police, however, are a different breed.

That gets to my main point:

You're in a foreign country. The biggest problem with lane filtering here is that you don't know the roads, the local driving customs, the differences in law enforcement departments and their practices. I do filter fairly regularly but I ride on the Downtown Connector every day so I know the roads very well.

That said... I think you can get away with it in Chicago and NYC. Maybe just follow other bikers.
jfurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #123
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,791
Youy shoulda made it a poll...

No, none. I don't give a fk about laws especially stoopid ones. They have NOTHING to do with me sustaining MY life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac View Post
Next year commencing late July I am intending to ride around the USA, starting and finishing in Portland, Oregon. In reading up on the road rules in the many states I will be passing through, it is evident that lane splitting/filtering is not legal in many of them. In others, the statute seems to be silent on the matter.

I differentiate between lane splitting and filtering. The former is high speed and often dangerous, while filtering is low speed between cagers that are moving very slowly or stopped. Filtering is something I do 98% of the time; lane splitting very rarely. Query whether the traffic enforcers draw any distinction between the two?

In any event, it is inevitable that on my trip I will encounter situations where I want/need to filter. My question to inmates is: If Mr Plod the policeman pulls me over for the heinous crime of filtering, what are the likely, possible or probable consequences? Especially when he (or she) sees my Australian license and address.

Any experiences you can share?

Thanks and regards.

If it's one thing I do know, it's women and covert opps...

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 07:38 PM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #124
duncanmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Thanks Again

Thank you once again to those who contributed positively to the thread. Main objective achieved, which was to gain a better understanding about what might happen should I filter. Some of the digressions from the posted topic proved informative as well.

Interesting to see that this topic presses buttons across the English speaking world.

Cheers.
duncanmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #125
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanmac View Post
Thank you once again to those who contributed positively to the thread. Main objective achieved, which was to gain a better understanding about what might happen should I filter. Some of the digressions from the posted topic proved informative as well.

Interesting to see that this topic presses buttons across the English speaking world.

Cheers.

It's always nice to see inmates helping inmates, and the accompanying spirited debate never fails to amuse.

As far as pressing buttons across the world, I think EVERY topic presses someone's buttons on ADV!

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #126
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #127
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Thumb

Old 01-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #128
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,126
This guy made it out alive. He got launched into the back of the pick up. The two in the background are the ones who were in the red car.

Minor Injuries on this one. Truck struck a car which then rearended this motor officer

Ruptured Spleen, broken vertebrae, car that hit him driver didn't have license or insurance go figure This one was local to me here int he DFW area
http://www.dallasnews.com/video/feat...d=917647895001

Another lucky one here. Lady was on her cell phone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7D0BTyJBeM

This lady got killed. Pretty sure it made the rounds on the internet a bunch of times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...9mqgVxub0&NR=1

I split lanes I'd much rather have a sideswipe than a rear end.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #129
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I live in WA but ride in CA a fair amount so it drives me absolutely NUTS at home to come up to a stop light and not be able to filter without risking a ticket. Grrr....
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:07 AM   #130
ongrade
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
I live in WA but ride in CA a fair amount so it drives me absolutely NUTS at home to come up to a stop light and not be able to filter without risking a ticket. Grrr....
Even in states where it's not legal I'll filter a couple cars up just so I'm not the meat in a car sandwich. If I'm with a group in a non splitting state I aim the bike around the bikes/cars ahead of me and watch the mirrors just in case I have to pull out for a car not stopping in time.
ongrade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #131
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by ongrade View Post
Even in states where it's not legal I'll filter a couple cars up just so I'm not the meat in a car sandwich. If I'm with a group in a non splitting state I aim the bike around the bikes/cars ahead of me and watch the mirrors just in case I have to pull out for a car not stopping in time.
+1

...and keep the bike in gear ready to squeeze thru the gap till at least 2 cars are behind you

M
Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #132
yuu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
+1

...and keep the bike in gear ready to squeeze thru the gap till at least 2 cars are behind you

M
+1 to this. I live in the Washington DC metro area and keep red light defense in mind always. Just yesterday a lady in the lane next to me failed to notice the stale red light I and a couple cars were sitting at, and nearly made it into the cross lanes on screeching tires.

There's a lot of under-skilled, over privileged drivers in the US so be on your guard for crummy driving. The US has one of the lowest, or possibly the lowest threshold for someone to obtain a drivers licence in the developed world.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #133
EddieMac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I'm in Florida and I've only done a right-turn filter. This just means that I'll use the right-hand margin to advance to a right-turning lane if I'm stopped at a light no more than 4 or 5 car lengths away.

I realize this makes me a terrorist, but you infidels have it coming.
EddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #134
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Relevant Ride Apart
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #135
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
I think this whole idea of demanding instant payment, from foreigners, or even residents of different states, must leave a bad taste in their mouth. Just not a good way to treat visitors.
Why, we are used being treated that way after waiting in line for 2 hours to get to one of the few open immigration counters at the airport and applying for a travel permit 3 days in advance so we are even allowed to get on the states-bound airplane.

At least the rozzers here never tried to charge me for something I didn't do to get out a bribe like in other countries.
Although that "Out of my randomly parked car I estimate your speed was xx" comes awfully close. I am still amazed that this holds up to civilized law.

One thing to watch out for on these roads is phones. Virtually every time I see someone exhibiting really stupid or annoying driving in the US, they are on the phone. And the "only me" attitude transformation as soon as they get in their cars can be scary. Almost as bad as Puerto Rico.

Must be related to the personality transformation some people get when they enter the internets.