User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #91
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Day two:

We left Darien and it was still drizzling but the wind had died down a lot. After an unvenful few hours the sun finally broke through the clouds and we rode into Florida. After a quick stop in St Augustine for Lunch we continued south down A1A to our first campsite at Gamble Rogers state park. The weather was perfect and by Florida standards the waves were great! The water was a little chilly at 69f but I did get in my first ocean swim of the year!

Heading south out of Georgia on the 17. Stopped by this great looking bridge by dsrphotography, on Flickr

We finally reached Florida! by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Lots of little jacks swimming around by dsrphotography, on Flickr

A rare day of great surf in Florida by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Shells at Flagler beach by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Playing in the waves by dsrphotography, on Flickr

A dolphin swimming through the waves by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Surf fishing by dsrphotography, on Flickr

A packed side case by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Our campsite by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Flagler beach by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Dolphins looking for a meal by dsrphotography, on Flickr

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #92
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Here is day 3.

From Flagler beach we headed south into the springs, we stopped in Deland for donuts and camped at beautiful Sebastian Inlet State park.

Donuts at Mr Bills's in De Land by dsrphotography, on Flickr

De Leon Springs in De Land by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Making pancakes at the old sugar mill by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Our campsite at Sebatstion inlet state park by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Surfing at Sebation by dsrphotography, on Flickr

A bird of sorts by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Serious fishing riggs at Sebation by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Inlet skim boarder by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Skim boarding trio by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Pelicans chilling out. by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Bird on one foot by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Dolphin close to shork by dsrphotography, on Flickr

A stork? by dsrphotography, on Flickr

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:25 AM   #93
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

This leg of the trip was from Sebastion inlet state park to Miami. The weather was great and the water was the temp of bath water. I didn't have much time to check out Miami but it looks look a cool city worth checking out some time in the future.

Hanging out in Miami by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Kite surfing by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Swimming in 80f water by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Lyches for breakfast! by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Our camp in Miami by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Our campsite was surrounded by fruit trees by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Mangos by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Papayas by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Bannanas by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Old 05-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #94
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

The next day we left Miami and headed for the Loop road at Bg Cypress National preserve. This road goes through the heart of the swamp. We've seen all sorts of animal life on this roads, alligators, otters, snakes, and countless birds and fish. The gators were definitely a bit shy of the bike. In a car you can creep right by and they won't move. They ran away from the bike most of the time.

On the way through we stopped at a publix and got some snacks and the best cafe con leche I'v ever had. It was perfect!

Heading down the loop road. 12 miles of dirt through the heart of Big Cypress National preserve by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Alligators lined the road by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Air plants grew in the trees, These are bromeliads which includes pineapples by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Gator in a nice pond by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Gator framed by bike by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Baby gator by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Taking a break...not much traffic to worry about by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Baby gators by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Little gator taking it easy by dsrphotography, on Flickr

This gator was hissing at the bike by dsrphotography, on Flickr

A quick snack before heading to Sanibel Island by dsrphotography, on Flickr

After the loop road we headed up the west coast to Sanibel Island then onto Venice where we camped at Oscar Sherer state park.

Sanibel Island by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Sanibel Island by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Bird fishing in the surf by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Sanibel light house by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Sanibel beach by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Old 05-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #95
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Time for another update. This leg of the trip brought us to Venice Florida, through St Pete and inland to Rainbow Springs.

We had an interesting night camping at Rainbow Springs and one point a herd of wild pics ran through our camp then a pack of coyotes began to yip and call.

View from our tent at Oscar Scherer State Park by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Campsite at Oscar Scherer State Park by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Campsite at Oscar Scherer State Park by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Venice Pier by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Dolphins off the Venice Pier by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Fisher people on the Venice pier by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Egret on the Venice Pier by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Rainbow Springs State Park by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Rainbow Springs State Park by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Rainbow Springs State Park Campsite by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Armadillo at Rainbow Springs State Park by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Armadillo at Rainbow Springs State Park by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Rainbow River by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Rainbow River by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Toad by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Old 05-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #96
HPTuner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Nice pics!
HPTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #97
Thumpercrazee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
Awesome report and some really beautiful photos!!!

I liked your switch to the Strom and have really enjoyed your transition to the way of the south. Great pics for sure. Thanks for sharing your travels and taking us along.

TC

2007 Star Stratoliner
2004 V-Strom 1000
Thumpercrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #98
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

From Rainbow Springs we heading across the Ocala National forest to Silver Glenn Springs and our campsite at Salt Springs.

Salt Springs Campsite by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Salt Springs Campsite by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Salt Springs by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Salt Springs by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Silver Glen Springs by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Silver Glen Springs by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Old 05-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #99
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

FYI...the bike used in this trip is now for sale..actually I'll be selling all my bikes as I found out today that I'll be moving to Australia this summer!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887985

Old 05-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #100
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Final day of the trip has us driving from the Springs which are inland to our campsite at Fort Clinch State Park on Fernandina Beach.

Taking the ferry over from the mainland. Never took the bike on a ferry so that was kinda cool. The trip across the St Johns river might have took all of 5 minutes.

Taking the ferry to Fernandina Beach by dsrphotography, on Flickr

The short ferry trip across the St Johns river by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Our campsite was on the bay side so we were under the tree canopy and it was kinda buggy. As soon as we arrived we dumped all of of our gear and motored up the beach for a swim. Next time we come we will try to get a walk in tent site at the beach.

Fernadina beach by dsrphotography, on Flickr

After our swim we headed into the little town of Fernandina beach. It's a nice little town with lots of places to eat and plenty to look at.

This is the oldest bar in Florida. Didn't have a drink. But enjoyed the ac as it was little humid.

The oldest bar in Florida by dsrphotography, on Flickr

The vstrom was a tourist attraction.

Downtown Fernandina beach by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Downtown Fernandina beach by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Had some good burgers.

burgers at the beach by dsrphotography, on Flickr

On the way home through Georgia we stopped in the little town of Darien to stretch our legs and I grabbed a Geocache.

Finding geocaches on the way home by dsrphotography, on Flickr

That pretty much ended the trip. We took the 17 most of the way back as it was windy. ON the highway and the wee was getting pushed around a bit. We also stopped for some good Mexican food right over the Border from SC and Georgia.

This was my first extended trip by motorcycle and we are hoping to do many more in the future.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #101
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

The plan was to ride from Charleston, down to Hunting Island State park, then to Savannah for dinner and home..The weather had other ideas.

We didn't make it far south out of Charleston before I thought a salty snack was needed to fortify us..luckily this stretch of the 17 has a few boiled peanut stands.

Boiled peanuts by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Boiled Peanuts by dsrphotography, on Flickr

The ride south to Hunting Island was uneventful. Cloudy skies and kinda blustery but it didn't look too bad. We pulled into the state park, stripped off all of our gear and made our way to the beach...this was the view when we broke through the trees.

Think it might rain? by dsrphotography, on Flickr

We found a picnic table and managed a few bites of our sandwiches before the heavens opened. We spent the next hour under a picnic pavilion while a latin church service and a girls running team were sharing the space.

waiting out the rain by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Eventually the skies cleared and we were able to go out for a little body surfing and beach exploring.

Untitled by dsrphotography, on Flickr

We got back to the bike...boots full of water and the damn sheep skin seat covers that I had been drying for 3 days at home were soaked again!

Left the park..grabbed a tag..and rode home through some more rain...sure beats working.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #102
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

With my leaving date soon approaching I decided to head down to Savannah on last time..no pics of nice old buildings or tree filled parks...I just went down to eat and swim! I've been on a baked goods kick lately so I wanted to try a bakery I had read about and one of those snazzy cupcake places that are all the rage now. Sorry about the foggy cell phone pics..I decided to leave the real camera at home..and well it's summer in the low country...cameras fog up!

I was also meeting a possible buyer for my vstrom so the old two birds with the same stone type thing. We were meeting at Sandfly BBQ which is close to Skidwaway Island State park. On the way to the bbq place I happened to pass one of the bakeries I had looked up..a quick uturn later I saw sampling some very tasty donuts. The name is Bakers Pride Bakery..I've not seen a bakery with so much selection in years..it's well worth the stop if your in Savannah.

Donuts in Savannah, GA Saturday 06.08.13 by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Donuts in Savannah, GA Saturday 06.08.13 by dsrphotography, on Flickr

After that we headed to Sandfly BBQ..the food was decent..the french frys were very nice. I got a pulled chicken plate with mac and cheese..I would have liked the chicken a bit more smoked but that's just personal preference. Overall pretty decent..shoulda took a pic but I scarfed it down too fast.

After lunch we went out to Tybee Island for a swim and to gawk at all the bathing beauties...sadly no pics either.

Heading out of town we stopped at the Sweet Carolina Cupcake shop. I got the Elvis which consisted of Banana bread with peanut butter icing and bacon bits. The cupcake was good. I wish they would have used real bacon as bits are a woefully poor imitation of bacon.

The elvis Cupcake.. Banana bread, peanut Butter icing with bacon. by dsrphotography, on Flickr

Old 06-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #103
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Great as usual. Hope you were able to sell the bike. Ouch.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #104
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

No sale on the bike but I think it worked out well as I'm thinking of taking a last trip up to the Blue Ride this weekend. I'll know tomorrow for sure. It would be nice to beat the heat for a few days.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #105
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Nothing like the night before a trip...packing..arranging.. planning..printing maps..oh yeah!

Last blast in the mountains! by dsrphotography, on Flickr