User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
operaflute OP
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 137
SPOT settings for Mexico?

Making a short trip to Mexico next week, and likely a month long venture in May. I have a SPOT GPS tracker and am wondering about the best use of the "help" (NOT SOS) and "custom" buttons.
Typically my "help" button is set up to say something like "Aw, Crap, will you call AAA for me?" But since AAA probably won't cross the border on my behalf, I should use it for something else.
Any message you wished you could have sent or were glad you could? I have the ability to send two pre-composed messages above and beyond straight up "SOS!"
Thanks for your ideas!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
My quick thoughts are to go to the Is Mexico Safe? thread and ask there. Perhaps send a message to some of the inmates who live in Mexico and who can give you advice if you get into a jam.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
operaflute OP
Starving Artist

Yeah, good thought, although I'm finding it's easy to get lost/miss stuff in that thread, since it's so long and so active. (I can't keep up with it!) Also good thought on PMing a few folks.
I did find a phone number for the "green angels" It's a possibility.
http://www.discoverbajacalifornia.co...n/green-angels
Old 12-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaflute View Post
Yeah, good thought, although I'm finding it's easy to get lost/miss stuff in that thread, since it's so long and so active. (I can't keep up with it!) Also good thought on PMing a few folks.
I did find a phone number for the "green angels" It's a possibility.
http://www.discoverbajacalifornia.co...n/green-angels

That would be a thought, although the Green Angels can be a bit spotty in places.

I just got a Spot for Christmas and may be off base here but I thought that I read that the Spot advises that you email someone or multiple someones who can take responsibility. My concern would be that if you emailed the Green Angels they may or may not be able to coordinate things. As much as I love Mexico I wouldn't bet my life that there is an English speaker monitoring a working email account.

I am stuck here in Borderland Texas but would be happy to be your point of contact if that's what you need. However, there are several guys on the Is Mexico Safe? thread that are in various parts of the country, speak Spanish, and are savvier than I am for day-in, day-out breakdowns and so forth.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
operaflute OP
Starving Artist

Ah - I wasn't clear. I DO have the buttons send messages to various personal contacts, who in turn, contact AAA for me. (Long story perhaps not necessary to relate here, but I got to test drive this feature only a few days after acquiring the device - only 15 minutes from my house. Doh! ) But I'd like to give my contacts more useful/specific info than AAA before I leave for this trip, thus the Green Angels phone number. Also found the following, although can't find (yet) info as to exactly WHAT services would be available to me.
http://exchange.aaa.com/automobiles-...ational-clubs/

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
That would be a thought, although the Green Angels can be a bit spotty in places.

I just got a Spot for Christmas and may be off base here but I thought that I read that the Spot advises that you email someone or multiple someones who can take responsibility. My concern would be that if you emailed the Green Angels they may or may not be able to coordinate things. As much as I love Mexico I wouldn't bet my life that there is an English speaker monitoring a working email account.

I am stuck here in Borderland Texas but would be happy to be your point of contact if that's what you need. However, there are several guys on the Is Mexico Safe? thread that are in various parts of the country, speak Spanish, and are savvier than I am for day-in, day-out breakdowns and so forth.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaflute View Post
Ah - I wasn't clear. I DO have the buttons send messages to various personal contacts, who in turn, contact AAA for me. (Long story perhaps not necessary to relate here, but I got to test drive this feature only a few days after acquiring the device - only 15 minutes from my house. Doh! ) But I'd like to give my contacts more useful/specific info than AAA before I leave for this trip, thus the Green Angels phone number. Also found the following, although can't find (yet) info as to exactly WHAT services would be available to me.
http://exchange.aaa.com/automobiles-...ational-clubs/

You are going in the right directions. If I were you I'd still make them aware of the group in the Is Mexico Safe? thread.

Tell ya what. I'll PM my phone number and email address to you just in case.

What part of Mexico are you riding into?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
operaflute OP
Starving Artist

You mean make Is Mexico Safe thread aware of Green Angels? Or my contacts aware of Is Mexico Safe thread? (must be the blonde gene acting up again)
Got the PM - thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
You are going in the right directions. If I were you I'd still make them aware of the group in the Is Mexico Safe? thread.

Tell ya what. I'll PM my phone number and email address to you just in case.

What part of Mexico are you riding into?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,047
Oh-oh
Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
operaflute OP
Starving Artist

After a little more excitement than planned last week (home early from Baja), it occurred to me that if you are traveling with others, you might want to remind your own SPOT contacts, that if you DO hit any of those buttons, it might not necessarily be for YOU. It could be that one of your compatriots is having an issue, and you are using your spot on his behalf. Could avoid some undue worry.
We didn't end up using our Spots, but after another rider took a spill (moto vs. dog/gravel/possibly cement post) there was a point where I thought I might, and imagined my own family assuming *I* was the one in trouble.
We are all back in the US after a two day wild ride. He is the proud owner of 5 cracked ribs and two leaky lungs, and is being discharged from the hospital in Yuma today.
Also made me realize that the $20 I spend on a small Medex policy could really pay off. (My health insurance won't cover me out of US, and the Mex auto insurance doesn't cover the rider. Seems silly to ride moto without insurance no matter where you are. He also had purchased similar, better, policy, and I'm sure he will be grateful for it, once the bills start arriving.)
Old 01-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,047
$20 for a Medex policy ?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
operaflute OP
Starving Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
$20 for a Medex policy ?
Yeah, I got the cheapest one. The "Travmed Choice" plan for only $50,000K of coverage and just for a week. But that's waaaay better than the nothing I would have had. It was an afterthought, but I'd do it again for sure.

(My US health insurance would only cover "life and limb" - anything else, including the likely injury of breaking this or that, would be out of my very very shallow pocket.. US auto policy counts for nothing there, and Mex auto insurance only covers liability, not medical if you're riding a moto.

Really hard to believe I was hemming and hawing over the extra $20! Was very easy to buy online, just like the Mex Auto insurance.

operaflute screwed with this post 01-05-2013 at 02:56 PM
operaflute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,884
My spot messages

I've been using one for years and my main messages I send are as follows.

OK Message----------------I'm OK and having a good time (and of course it gives my location).

Special Message------------I've quit riding for the day and am either camped or in a motel (and of course it gives my location).

Help Message--------I'm not severely injured but have a problem big enough I need someone to come to me.(and of course it gives my location).

I'm thinkin the SOS one I gave some of my pertinent medical history---age--medical problems and such--phone number to contact my wife and son.

Those are the ones I've been using for quite awhile. Of course may not work so well out of the country.

I'll be in Baja for a month in about 10 days. Hope I just use it as a tracking device.

BigDog
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
operaflute OP
Starving Artist

Yes, I found myself wanting to rethink things for a different country, since my usual "Could ya call AAA for me?" wouldn't really apply once I crossed the border. I ended up doing the following:

Help - I need roadside assistance. My contacts knew to first check if I was in US or Mexico and then had the details of who to call depending on where I was.

Custom Message - This was for an "event." ie - I'm okay, but something has happened and could you please alert both auto insurance and medex. (I gave them the contact details ahead of time.) Didn't want to not have a claim started sooner rather than later, and then be denied coverage.

Check-In/OK - I don't really use this one, since I just like to leave the thing in my pocket and forget about it, I tell my contacts that the presence or lack of Check-In okay messages is indicative of absolutely nothing. Since I don't use it as Check-In okay, I guess I could use it for something else and have a third custom message available. Never thought of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post

Those are the ones I've been using for quite awhile. Of course may not work so well out of the country.

I'll be in Baja for a month in about 10 days. Hope I just use it as a tracking device.

BigDog
Old 01-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #14
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Travel with a riding partner and don't expect much from SPOT especially when you are out of the country like Mexico. Usually the Mexican govt will not be of much help, but your buddies riding with you can help right then and there.

If you are solo, ride smart and always be self sufficent for medical and mechincal issues.

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #15
operaflute OP
Starving Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432 View Post
Travel with a riding partner and don't expect much from SPOT especially when you are out of the country like Mexico. Usually the Mexican govt will not be of much help, but your buddies riding with you can help right then and there.

If you are solo, ride smart and always be self sufficent for medical and mechincal issues.
True enough, but if you own one, might as well give it some thought on how to best use it if you need to. Here's the story of what happened with us - we didn't end up using it, but if things had been worse I would have happily punched SOS while we continued to do what we could have.

But yes, all good advice. The SPOT may be a useful tool in certain circumstances, but it's never an excuse not to be sensible.