Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
Cruz OP
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,865
New positioning system!

From gizmodo

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/01/mo...in-its-sights/

"GPS is now so widespread that we take it for granted. But it’s not always perfect — so what if a new technology could achieve more than those triangulated military satellites in the sky?

In fact, a team of researchers has been mulling exactly that, and come up with a new positioning technology called Locata. New Scientist explains:

Instead of satellites, Locata uses ground-based equipment to project a radio signal over a localised area that is a million times stronger on arrival than GPS. It can work indoors as well as out, and the makers claim the receivers can be shrunk to fit inside a regular mobile phone. Even the US military, which invented GPS technology, signed a contract last month agreeing to a large-scale test of Locata at the White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico.
You see, GPS often struggles with indoor environments and big cities: towering concrete buildings make it hard to get a signal, and tight road and pedestrian networks mean inaccuracy is problematic. By contrast, Locata already has accuracy of 18cm along any axis, and claims to be able to get that number down to 5. Crazy."

More .............

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
AlSheehan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Not exactly new technology, but thanks for posting anyway.

The reason the US went with GPS instead of radio positioning was the cost of the infrastructure.

Just for fun I'll make some predictions (to satisfy my inner sceptic)...

1. If there's a strategic advantage to getting additional accuracy for weapons guidance the Pentagon will buy the patents and lock up the technology (I can't see it myself, really dGPS is already here);
2.If not, if we see it anywhere, we will only see it in urban areas where it can be used indoors (where GPS can't) and 95% of the population are.

I don't think we'll see any wide spread system.

It'd be easy to mess with the geo-cachers with this system... just move the cache a few metres!

Al.