User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
hopskipjump OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Newbie with hardware/software questions....

New to me, after being without a bike for quite some time is a 1977 Moto Guzzi Lemans.... not your typical touring bike, but I would still like to spend time with the bike on 2-3 day trips.... or merely explore my region on longer one day trips.

I own nothing but the bike and an i Phone 5. Not opposed to buying a Garmin unit if necessary
but if I don't have to, I won't....

Trips would obviously be on-road. I would like to be able to download others routes as well
as be able to sit at my desk and devise routes that can be sent either to the Garmin or the
iPhone. I would need to have blue tooth from the GPS device (Garmin or phone) and would also
like info on what I need to stick in my helmet to receive voice commands. Not really interested
in talking while driving nor in listening to music. I seem to be drawn to the Schuberth C3.... their
Bluetooth helmet thing is $400-

Thus... 2k for the helmet, garmin unit, bluetooth thing, wiring and mounts is
extreme....

In addition, mounting anything on the cockpit of the LeMans looks very tight- I think a Ram mount on either the brake/clutch or from the triple clamp is possible.

If I stay with the iPhone, what software can process the .gpx files that I would import from other riders?

thanks for your advice

Steve
hopskipjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 806
Get Motion-X GPS app for iPhone!
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Not that I am trying to diss the phone, but: Garmin's GPS units are shock-proof, dust proof, water-proof and can be seen in bright sunlight. Can your phone do it?
Are you comfortable with leaving the phone on the bike for the day - as opposed to removing it every time you pit-stop? Do you have a stored map set - or will you be always traveling within cellular coverage to allow downloads from the map server?

Also, Garmin motorcycle/bicycling-specific devices allow route building: setting up a collection of many waypoints into a route. While navigating, the route will automatically readjust if you veer off or skip a waypoint. This is much more than just guidance to one single destination, the way automotive navi works (and a lot of phone apps). Presumably other mfg's have these features, too, though it's a long time since I used a TomTom or Magellan.

If you ride a lot, you will find that you interact a lot with your navigation device. I suggest buying the best you can afford, you won't regret it.

By the way, I just saw a Zumo 550 in the Gear section of Fleamarket here, the seller was asking a tad over $400.

Now, for getting the audio in: there are other choices beyond the Schuberth neckpiece. I use in my helmet a Sena SMH-10, which costs about $100-150 (?) and allows BlueTooth connection to a GPS, a phone and a separate audio device (if phone not used for audio). Plus, intercom to 3 or 4 other Sena units (my wife and my brother have the cheaper SMH-5 on account of lower usage).

Swing by WebBikeWorld.com for reviews of all these devices.

And one more note: if you a re buying a helmet: see if you can try it on (the NY Moto Show is in 3 weeks), though a 10-second session will not really tell you much about the actual usage. If mailorder, look into return policies. Schuberth C3, in particular, can bite you. It is an excellent helmet, but the head shape may or may not work for you. I have been using Schuberth lids for maybe 15 years (from the early BMW-branded ones all the way up to C2) and they worked great for me. C3 changed head form. I actually tried it at the Motorcycle Show and it seemed to fit, but once I bought it, the C3 became painful after a several-days long ride. I sold it here and switched to a Neotec.
Point being, be mentally prepared for the fact that your head may not agree with the helmet and you may have to return-resell it, searching for another one.
Also, the $400 that you mention does not include the helmet itself, right?

Hope this helps.

rdwalker screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 07:36 AM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
hopskipjump OP
Adventurer

Thanks for taking the time to respond so fully-
Local BMW dealer has the C3 which I wore for 10 minutes or so- I have read the entire thread on on the C3 and
am aware of the forehead issue.. will try to sit there for for 45 minutes with it on before buying-

The Sena unit sounds like a more reasonable choice- I assume that this unit needs charging as well- How many hours between charges? Can one use speakers with it? What is installation like?

So will the Garmin unit allow uploading of .gpx files that I can grab from this website and then use them to guide me down a pre-determined route?
Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopskipjump View Post
So will the Garmin unit allow uploading of .gpx files that I can grab from this website and then use them to guide me down a pre-determined route?
.gpx files are used because they are 'universal'. Most things will work with .gpx, Garim software will upload and down load with the .gpx format. There is a progam that will translate different gps format files 'GPSBabble' IIRC.

As for 'guide'. This will depend on several things...

what maps you have... most these days are 'routeable' meaning they will enable the GPS to work out a way between A and B and give you turn by turn navigation on the roads it has. The 'got you' hear is that the map must have the roads you want to use on it... well most of them, the newer GPSes may allow short section/s that has/have 'no road' according to the map... YMMV.

The .gpx file may not have enough detail to get you on the roads you want... thus the GPS will guide you down what roads it thinks you want...

------------------------
Suggest you have a play with the software to see if you like it. Both iPhone and GPS.

If you select to go with a GPS look at the maps, for Garmin you can get free maps from 'Open Street Map'.. not as 'good' as the ones you pay for but still good... excellent for the price.

Once you have that then you need to think about the limitations of the GPS - they are limited to a number of points per route. And the number of routes...
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
... The Sena unit sounds like a more reasonable choice- I assume that this unit needs charging as well- How many hours between charges? Can one use speakers with it? What is installation like?

I have driven between 8 and 10 hours with the SMH-10 before it lost charge. Very importantly, the intercom can be charged while in use (as do other Sena products) - many other USB/Bluetooth/intercom devices shut off when on the charger. This means that, if needed, you can plug the Sena charger into a power outlet on the bike and keep riding while continuing to use it.

The base unit comes with a stick-on microphone and with ear speakers. The stick-on did not work too well for my flip-up Neotec, so I bought the base with boom mike - perfect for the job.

This season, I will order a base with boom and stick-on mikes, that has a jack for earphones, rather than the ear speakers. Ear speakers mount in the helmet, while earphones go into your ears. The reason I want to try the earphones is that I always ride with earplugs and and high speed I'd like to have more volume. According to WebBikeWorld, Sena has one of the loudest intercoms, but this is still not as loud as my old hard-wired J&M. Nothing else is as good as that, of course. There is a price to pay for portability/mobility.

All these different bases are easy to experiment with, because they cost only about $30 each. The actual intercom unit plugs into these interchangeable bases. The base mounts on the side of the helmet, with a clamp. Ear speakers just tuck into the liner. The whole setup takes 10 minutes; it takes more time to read the manual and understand it.

I advise visiting Revzilla.com (one of Sena dealers) and watching their excellent video of installation of a Sena SMH-10. Sena's own web site has tutorials on pairing with various devices and configuring the intercom.

Regarding Garmin units: the motorcycling receivers do import both the universal gpx files and the proprietary gdb files. More importantly, there is software that allows you to browse maps on your computer and build routes for download to the receiver. The current software is called BaseCamp - I am not impressed by it. The older software is MapSource and I have been using it with great success for many, many ears. For more info on that, visit the GPS forum on ADVrider or PM me.

I hope that helps you somewhat. Happy New Year! Robert.

rdwalker screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 11:13 AM
Old 12-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #7
2000RSV
Go Fast, Go Long

Oddometer: 2,075
A very good routing software is Microsoft Streets and Trips. Newegg.com had on sale before Christmas for $15. Don't know if it is still valid.

S&T is easy to use and very complete. You can export to a GPX file (or import) for downloading to a GPS.

It is much easier to use than either Basecamp or MapSource.
2000RSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
hopskipjump OP
Adventurer

Wow- thanks to all-

Watched the speaker install- looks super easy- that works with wither the phone or Garmin or both!
Zumo is the way for me because it has voice commands for turns-
Could not fine the listing you were referring to.... damn-

The software is still unclear-
Say for example I wanted to follow this:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194452
which is from this website-
I assume that turn by turn instructions and actual roads are
part of the file? And is it correct to assume that either the
phone or the Zumo will take me down the same route...
Old 12-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
hopskipjump OP
Adventurer

Does not appear that Streets and Trips is available for the Mac....
Old 12-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
... Zumo is the way for me because it has voice commands for turns- Could not find the listing you were referring to.... damn-
I assume that is what you were looking for:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840596

Quote:
Does not appear that Streets and Trips is available for the Mac....
That may be a problem. I don't know if Garmin's mapping software (MapSource or Base Camp) is Apple-compatible, either. Anyone?
Old 12-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
hopskipjump OP
Adventurer

Even using the search function I could not find it-

So I guess if none of the software is compatable with an Apple, then I would have to use my phone as my GPS unit IF I wanted to import rides (from this site, for example) and follow their commands...

Is that so? I guess I better not buy the Zumo until I figure this out!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Base Camp is Mac-compatible, requires OS 10.6 or higher:
http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

I did not have time to check on MapSource - browse for that info on Garmin's site. That is an old product, though: Garmin dropped support for it in 2010, replacing it with BaseCamp.

rdwalker screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 07:14 AM
Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
hopskipjump OP
Adventurer

No Apple for Mapsource- besides you need a Mapsource product to use it.... not EXACTLY sure
what that means....

It appears that many people do not like Base Camp- so what are most people doing about that?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
hopskipjump OP
Adventurer

Took the .99cent plunge and bought MotionX for the I phone....

No clue as to how to take the .gpx file from this site (route around lake michigan)
and have the phone give me turn by turn instructions-

Anyone know how to do that?