Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebike View Post
Hi Dylan,

That's a long trip report you have to tell us about here
Seems your destiny was spelled in your name from the start
Wish you good riding for all that remains

Thanks pal! I'll try to catch up with what you missed in the past two and half years. Hope you'll enjoy my photos and comments.
Dylan.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #17
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I'm in. Subscribed.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,217
Just watched the Copper Canyon video and see that there are several more. I'm hooked (and tired just from watching you hoisting "Bruce" back up )!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #19
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Click HERE, put the sound up and enjoy this video filmed in Laos

Dylan.S screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 04:41 PM
Old 12-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
Just watched the Copper Canyon video and see that there are several more. I'm hooked (and tired just from watching you hoisting "Bruce" back up )!

Thanks Garfey! I'm happy that you enjoyed it. Keep watching
Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #21
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Every city you visit seem to offer this type of exotic scenic views in Mexico.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #22
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 617
Book?

Hi Dylan

Your trip looks fantastic, you can write well and tae a decent pic. Why not write a book and try to fund your travels whilst spreading the joy to many more than just guys on ADVRider?

Congrats and keep going

Cheers

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:30 AM   #23
leadingedge
Trailing along...

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan.S View Post

One of the most fascinating countries that I have visited on this tour was Ethiopia. The natural beauty, the culture and the food is interesting enough to entice you. However visiting the Mursi tribe deep in the jungle in south Ethiopia made me have my most exciting five minutes of my entire tour. The otherwise friendly people turned ugly because of a three idiots who tried to hold me against my will. One of the tribesmen was armed with a machine gun. But taking advantage of their moment of inattentiveness I take my pepper spray into my hands and take control of the situation and manage my escape.
That's it, I'm subscribed!

Your Ethiopian experience brings back some not- so-pleasant, and also many great memories of working in that part of the world for 5 years.
leadingedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #24
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Lake Maninjau, Sumatra, Indonesia.

I arrived in Lake Maninjau just before dusk and started riding around the beautiful crater lake looking for a spot to set up my tent. Though I spotted a few good places to camp, my gut feeling was telling me that I shouldn't be out there. As I ride along the broken road which at some places heavily subjected to landslides, I notice dozens of houses at the base of the crater rim badly damaged and empty and it paints a picture of a ghost town. At some places below the road there were old roofs to be seen, piles of bricks, tiles, parts of furniture and it all tells one sad story. People have lost homes and the devastation at the time of happening must have been enormous. In some of those deserted properties I find enough space for a night of camping. "It looks perfect", I tell myself. But I ride on dodging rocks which are in the middle of the road and deeply eroded places. After a while I spot a man on a small motorcycle riding towards me. I stop him and ask him if he knows a place where I could set up my tent. Such questions from me to a stranger on the road is as rare as a spotting a kangaroo in the arctics.
The man asks me to follow him and I obey him without further questions. After reaching his house which is above the road, he parks his motorcycle and signals me to follow him on foot. We cross the road and walk down to the lake. At the water edge, there is a small old wooden house with two rooms. There is a bed and a table inside of the house and a veranda with two chairs.
The man tells me that I could sleep there by myself. It seems a very good offer. Then he shows me the three canoes in front of the house and tells me that I could use them whenever I like to take a ride on the lake. I end up staying there for 4 days enjoying the beautiful surrounding and give Bruce a rest while I explore things by cruising on water.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #25
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willwilkins View Post
Hi Dylan

Your trip looks fantastic, you can write well and tae a decent pic. Why not write a book and try to fund your travels whilst spreading the joy to many more than just guys on ADVRider?

Congrats and keep going

Cheers
It looks like you like the letter 'W" a lot WillWilkins Wollongong Wollwich.
Thanks for the message and for the encouragement! I think you might see a book from me one of these days. First I have to bring this tour to an end. Hope you're happy in Woolwich.
Read you soon pal!
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #26
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Riding around the world on a motorcycle, you have to have a good portion of luck with you all the time. There were so many close calls so many near misses which would have ended in tragedy. This picture was taken in Indonesia. This kind of scenario is quite harmless. But a man who's travelling on a tight budget having to exchange the tire to a new, prematurely, is not at all desirable. However, when I pulled out the big nail I was in for a surprise. It did not have a puncture. I rode the bike through all Indonesian Islands until Sydney Australia before I bought a new one.

Dylan.S screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 08:04 AM
Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #27
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sometime I have taken a passenger on my bike. I couldn't count this passenger to one of the pretty ones but he certainly was the biggest of them all. Alex was nearly two meters tall and weighed 100Kg. When I met him in Jogjakarta we immediately became friends and travelling together for a few days in Indonesia was fun. However, Bruce, my bike took some scars. As a consequence of travelling with Alex and his backpack plus all my luggage made my rear shockabsober to sag.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #28
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

One day Alex and I decided to explore a scenic area called Green Canyon. We road the bike through some rough terrain parallel to a gorgeous looking river and parked the bike in a small space we found off the footpath and walked into the canyon. After a day of hiking, swimming abseiling down to the canyon bottom, we returned to the bike exhausted hungry and thirsty. Something looked different. There was a wooden plank leaning on the bike. i take a closer look and there was a message on the wooden plank written with Charcoal. It read "from Abdul, Mister, The young coconut is for you"

We tracked down the the generous man and did not forget to thank him for his kindness. As the picture shows, he certainly didn't look a rich man. On the contrary, men in ragged cloths can be more hospitable than those in expensive suits.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #29
Dylan.S OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Catching some sun in cold Alaska
Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #30
Rensen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Awesome you live the dream of many. Im in!

Viel Glück auf das die BMW noch ewig fährt.
Rensen is offline   Reply With Quote