ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #1
Thraan OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Thraan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bayview Village
Oddometer: 28,573
2014 Formula One

Lots of changes this year. Engine changes is the big one, but aero changes, driver line ups and mickey mouse double points all feature too. Mercedes powered teams seem to have a leg up on the competition through winter testing, but the rubber really meets the road this coming weekend.

Will Kimi be faster than Alonso?

Will Vettel score points in Melbourne?

Will Massa and Williams win a race?


I predict a Hamilton pole, but a Kimi win down under.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Thraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 73,861
Mercedes engine is dominant in testing, likely to be so in the early races. Renault engine is fucked up, which is good. Ferrari engine package is reliable but off the pace.

Either Mercedes or McLaren win the opener in Australia. Williams and Force India have an outside shot. It will not be Ferrari or Red Bull or Lotus.

The real betting proposition is whether or not either Red Bull goes the race distance. They couldn't manage it in any of the pre-season tests.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
Garp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Oddometer: 2,286
Christian Horner reckons Mercedes could win by two laps:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formul...milton-3228096

That would be a refreshing change from the Red Bull Domination, but I wouldn't to see the whole season go that way
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
Thraan OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Thraan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bayview Village
Oddometer: 28,573
Mercedes makes power, but is it also fuel efficient? Will Hamilton and Rosberg race each other? Pre-season testing is notoriously unreliable as a predictor.

And I don't believe Christian Horner. RedBull are not in as dire a predicament as they make out. Sandbaggers...
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Thraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #5
windmills
Gnearly Adventurer
 
windmills's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: London
Oddometer: 235
I'll wager an internet 50p that we see a Red Bull catch fire this weekend.
(I hope no injuries of course)
__________________
... michael
windmills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #6
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 73,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraan View Post
Mercedes makes power, but is it also fuel efficient? Will Hamilton and Rosberg race each other? Pre-season testing is notoriously unreliable as a predictor.

And I don't believe Christian Horner. RedBull are not in as dire a predicament as they make out. Sandbaggers...
Nobody sandbags like that. The car failed repeatedly. Australia, a points-paying Grand Prix, will probably have to serve as a test for Red Bull. A nice three day test. Let's see how many laps they get in.

I do believe the Newey design is fast, they usually are. But if the engine's lagging and Newey overstresses the ERS as he did the KERS, then Red Bull will be in a world of hurt. Which will make a pleasant change.

Horner said he'd rather be fast and unreliable than the opposite. I fear he described Ferrrari; lots of laps, not so much speed. But as you say, test numbers are notoriously unreliable, so we shall see.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #7
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 73,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmills View Post
I'll wager an internet 50p that we see a Red Bull catch fire this weekend.
(I hope no injuries of course)
I'll bet that at some point over the three days, the ERS fails on both Red Bulls.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:48 AM   #8
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL
 
ScottDill's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario
Oddometer: 4,089
I'm looking forward the start of the season and the new turbo era. Mercedes is actually looking strong early this time. Lewis has a chance a t good season




I'm also looking forward to see how the Raikkonen, Alonso battle plays out.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:45 AM   #9
Thraan OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Thraan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bayview Village
Oddometer: 28,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I'll bet that at some point over the three days, the ERS fails on both Red Bulls.
I'll bet it fails on Webber's Ricciardo's car.

They have the speed, and they won't have stood still since the last test. They'll be ready.
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Thraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #10
shrineclown
(AFKA Prince)
 
shrineclown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Bruins Nation
Oddometer: 9,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraan View Post
I'll bet it fails on Webber's Ricciardo's car.

They have the speed, and they won't have stood still since the last test. They'll be ready.
Yeah, betting against AN has not worked so well as of late.
__________________
Life is Good and Getting Better Every Day!
shrineclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
PachmanP
Beastly Adventurer
 
PachmanP's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Oddometer: 1,432
What about the tires?!?! Are they all going to melt?
PachmanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #12
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 73,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraan View Post
I'll bet it fails on Webber's Ricciardo's car.

They have the speed, and they won't have stood still since the last test. They'll be ready.
The last test, in which they had to gouge holes in the bodywork in a vain attempt to cool the engine and ERS so they could complete laps?

I agree that Red Bull will progress as the season goes on. That's because they spend more money than anyone. That money will buy solutions. But I suspect it will take them a few races. And I wouldn't put it past them to lobby the FIA for permission to tweak their engine. They were denied it a couple of weeks ago. But they have a history of bending rules and getting their way, so it wouldn't surprise me to see it happen again.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:53 PM   #13
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 73,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by PachmanP View Post
What about the tires?!?! Are they all going to melt?
The tires are more durable this season. In fact, get ready to hear teams complain about how hard it is to get them up to temperature.

One thing you can depend on in F1 is teams complaining about the tires.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #14
Thraan OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Thraan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Bayview Village
Oddometer: 28,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
The tires are more durable this season. In fact, get ready to hear teams complain about how hard it is to get them up to temperature.

One thing you can depend on in F1 is teams complaining about the tires.
I heard Massa at Jerez say that the tires are hard to get up to temp (Jerez was cold), but the monster torque of the engine made it easy to spin up the rears, and that warms them up very quickly...
__________________
Work is the curse of the drinking classes - Wilde
Thraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #15
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 73,861
Yeah, I read that the new engine has a ton more torque than they're used to. I think we're all hoping that this leads to more driver error when exiting corners. IOW, that it's one of the things which helps put the driver back into the sport.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014