Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #196
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmills View Post
...One quibble:

I dont buy this one though. I would have Ben Youngs as my starting scrum half...
He and his brother were catastrophes! There are few players I dislike more that Danny Care and I'd pick him above YBY every day of the week and twice on Saturdays against the ABs.

I agree with your comments about Lancaster although the malevolent influence of Farrell senior worries me deeply. How else can Lancaster select an out of form Ashton, Tomkins, Barritt and have Goode on the bench? There's a reason that Saracens are this season scoring try bonuses; Farrell senior isn't there any more. There's no way that potentially great players like Freddie Burns as just one example, will get anywhere near the full England side and that's because that boring c%$& Farrell senior will drill the inspiration out of him.

As for the question, yes, "What would have happened if Dylan Hartley had stayed on the pitch?"
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #197
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Oddometer: 15,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
There HAS to be a rule that if you concede 3 penalties in your own 22 it's a penalty try - HOW the hell did NZ keep getting away with illegally preventing England from scoring
It's only a penalty try if the ref is convinced that, but for the infringement a try would have been scored.

The try that England did score was quite dodgy. The ball is clearly touched by an off side England player before Launchbury grabs it.

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #198
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
As for the question, yes, "What would have happened if Dylan Hartley had stayed on the pitch?"
Ahh, the lad from Rotorua Boys High School
He had a bruised lung, so the answer to your question is - not much.

“Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.”

Clive James
Old 11-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #199
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

I also noted that the "Respect the Kicker" thing only lasted half a game.

Clive James
Old 11-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #200
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
It's only a penalty try if the ref is convinced that, but for the infringement a try would have been scored.

The try that England did score was quite dodgy. The ball is clearly touched by an off side England player before Launchbury grabs it.
I know what the current rule is, I'm advocating changing it. How many times did NZ illegally stop England just before England scored their try ? It's getting ridiculous.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #201
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Quote:
I know what the current rule is, I'm advocating changing it. How many times did NZ illegally stop England just before England scored their try ? It's getting ridiculous.
If all the penalties were for the same thing, or the Ref thought they were cynical or professional he could have peeled out a yellow card. Why did he not?

Clive James
Old 11-17-2013, 07:05 PM   #202
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,582
Quote:
I also noted that the "Respect the Kicker" thing only lasted half a game.
That was not acceptable. Too many idiots getting in to Twickenham these days.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #203
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
That was not acceptable. Too many idiots getting in to Twickenham these days.
There was a bit of a fuss down here about people booing Quade Cooper and I heard this exchange between a ARU Official and a Sky TV guy:

ARU Official: "...and the crowd booing Cooper is getting old."
SKY TV Guy: "Yeah, but NZ crowds hate him for his cheap shots on Richie.."
ARU Official: "I was talking about Australian Crowds.."

Clive James
Old 11-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #204
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
If all the penalties were for the same thing, or the Ref thought they were cynical or professional he could have peeled out a yellow card. Why did he not?
Oh please

They knew exactly what they were doing.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #205
RhinoVonHawkrider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
My buddy was at the game, I watched it yesterday with his brother at my house via YouTube, wow what a game. England is looking very good. ABs pretty much never disappoint. Can't wait to get back to Twickenham for some Rugby. See you in 2015:-)
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #206
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Quote:
Oh please

They knew exactly what they were doing.
My comment was directed at the Ref. In the sequence you mentioned, he did not warn anyone, much less pull out a yellow card.

There is no doubt that the AB's new exactly what they were doing (the same as England knew what they were doing when they slowed down the ball at the breakdown by dubious methods). Both teams are smart enough to go to the letter of the law but not beyond.

And speaking of dubious tactics, is it true that England have Greg Louganis as a backs coach?

Clive James
Old 11-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #207
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
My comment was directed at the Ref. In the sequence you mentioned, he did not warn anyone, much less pull out a yellow card.

There is no doubt that the AB's new exactly what they were doing (the same as England knew what they were doing when they slowed down the ball at the breakdown by dubious methods). Both teams are smart enough to go to the letter of the law but not beyond.

And speaking of dubious tactics, is it true that England have Greg Louganis as a backs coach?
My point was that, no matter WHO was responsible for causing the penalty (individually, non of which merited a yellow) but that fact that the TEAM conceded multiple penalties that should trigger a penalty try. I don't dispute that both teams, by and large, played to the letter of the law but that the law itself is flawed.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #208
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Quote:
My point was that, no matter WHO was responsible for causing the penalty (individually, non of which merited a yellow) but that fact that the TEAM conceded multiple penalties that should trigger a penalty try. I don't dispute that both teams, by and large, played to the letter of the law but that the law itself is flawed.
And I accept that they did concede multiple (three, I think) penalties.
However, if I recall correctly, two were scrum infringements and none were in a position where a try was inevitable. If you started awarding penalty tries on the basis of multiple different infringements, where those infringements are 5m+ from the line and did not come under the current definitions for a penalty try (cynical/professional and preventing a certain try), the game would become a wee bit silly.

Or do you just want this rule for Twickers?

Clive James
Old 11-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #209
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
And I accept that they did concede multiple (three, I think) penalties.
However, if I recall correctly, two were scrum infringements and none were in a position where a try was inevitable. If you started awarding penalty tries on the basis of multiple different infringements, where those infringements are 5m+ from the line and did not come under the current definitions for a penalty try (cynical/professional and preventing a certain try), the game would become a wee bit silly.

Or do you just want this rule for Twickers?
But where does it end ? Penalty after penalty after penalty and all the while the defending team (NZ in this case - England and others have done the same) patiently waits for a mistake/penalty by the attacking side. It does nothing for the game to see that.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 11-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #210
Oscar
Elitist Bastid

Quote:
But where does it end ? Penalty after penalty after penalty and all the while the defending team (NZ in this case - England and others have done the same) patiently waits for a mistake/penalty by the attacking side. It does nothing for the game to see that.
It ends when the Ref runs out of patience.
I think the we didn't see a penalty try because of the reaons I outlined earlier, but I reckon we were REAL close to a yellow card to one of the AB's tight forwards...

Clive James

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: